The year we lose our TV signals

Page 13 of 15
if the OP can't get cable or dish, i'm sure he was on a library computer posting his message. He CERTAINLY can't get internet at his house either.

Steve Barker wrote:

to it for more than very occasional emergency backup use, but it is out there. If somebody only uses Usenet, or the few remaining properly-designed websites that don't depend on Flash or similar useless toys, you CAN live with dialup. I've been on the 'net since the mid-80s, and only broke down and got DSL 2 years ago, when my ISP outsourced their PoP to a place I could only get a 28.8 connection to.
(There are days I think that I SHOULD cancel the Satt and DSL. 90 bucks a month would stay in my pocket, and I might actually make a dent in the backed-up household chores and several years worth of unread books and magazines.)
-- aem sends...

I'd probably give up Internet if I had to go back

faster speed, right now it's a matter of a want, rather than a need.
I've been on the 'net since the mid-80s,

Direct TV and he admits he doesn't miss it at all. We now use Netflix for most, if not all, of our movie watching. And in the last two weeks I've read six novels from the library as well as played offline RPG's on the pc. Throw in cooking and quilting and I've been plenty entertained without tv.
snipped-for-privacy@att.net (aemeijers) says...

I think satellite TV and satellite internet has done a lot to break rural isolation. There is no broadcast TV at my house. Never was, never will be. The same is true of DSL or cable. Even broadcast radio is strictly limited. I get two AM stations and three FM stations, and one of the AM stations reduces power and disappears at sunset, though I gain KGO after dark. If it weren't for Sirius, I wouldn't have any music worth listening to.
The switch to digital TV has just meant no analog artifacts in my satellite locals signal.
--
For email, replace firstnamelastinitial
with my first name and last initial.

Yep. In the late 80's 60 minutes did a story on unintended acceleration issues with the Audi. The Audi was finding great success in the US and Ford, who sponsored 60 minutes at the time wanted to break their success. They rigged an Audi with a device that caused the accelerator to jam when the car was shifted into reverse. It was later proven that the story was false and the National Transportation Board could find nothing wrong with the Audi. The 60 minutes program never admitted their fabrication and even repeated the story again after the facts had been uncovered.
A second episode involved the Chevrolet Pickup truck where it was reported that a side impact crash would result in an exploding fuel tank. After repeated attempts to prove the claims, 60 minutes could not get the tanks to explode so they rigged an explosive device to cause the tanks to explode. Again, they did not inform the public when they did their story but claimed the tanks exploded on their own.
So forgive me if as a result of these fabrications I can not accept anything or any story presented by 60 minutes as anything but a lie. If you can't trust every story they present, you can't trust any of them.

[...]
reply:
Big deal. They intentionally spent lots of hours and dollars to present fake journalism. BTW, the slowmo pics of the fireworks going off underneath the truck after impact to set off the gasoline was priceless. So, now, you think EVERY news story is fake, concocted, a put up, or a lie?
I'm with you.
Steve ;-)

No, I don't believe every story they put out is a fake but if I can't trust every story to be factual and accurate then I simply can't trust any of them. The unfortunate thing is that all of our media has fallen into the same trap of being more concerned about ratings than about their responsibility to protect the public trust.
No, I don't believe every story they put out is a fake but if I can't trust every story to be factual and accurate then I simply can't trust any of them. The unfortunate thing is that all of our media has fallen into the same trap of being more concerned about ratings than about their responsibility to protect the public trust.
It is definitely not what, when, where, why, and how any more. They were shameful in the Lacey Peterson case, as well as Caylee Anthony, and hundreds of others. Why do strains of Don Henley's "Dirty Laundry" come to mind?
Steve

I used to live in Houston and was very active in the Republican Party. I attended a number of county and state party conventions over the years and always marveled at the local news reports on the conventions. I never could identify what the news reports were saying to the actual events that took place even though I was totally involved in all of the activity. It was amazing that they could fabricate major events out of nothing. In other cases, I have been directly involved in events that I couldn't even recognize based on the news reports that followed them.
There is an old saying that I can't totally recall but it goes something like...Believe only about 90% of what you see and 10% of what you read. That should be modified to say "and 10% of what you read or see on TV." I recently read a major report in a local paper that because of personal knowledge I knew to be so totally biased as to almost qualify as fiction. It wasn't so much that they reported lies but that they reported half truths and then drew conclusions leaving out everthing that didn't fit with their conclusions.

don't forget the faked GWBush papers. 60 Minutes and CBS simply cannot be trusted.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
BobR wrote:

unintended acceleration cases are driver error- stepped on the wrong damn pedal. The Chevy pickup case was NBC, not CBS.
Note that I distrust mass media as much or more than the next guy, but if you are going to accuse them, get your facts straight.
-- aem sends...

First, I didn't say Ford did it, I said that Ford was the sponsor. Who actually rigged the Audi isn't important, the 60 Minutes staff was totally aware of it and put the story on anyway. Not only did they do it once, they repeated the story even after it was brought out that it was rigged. So get your own facts straight. I also know that they are not alone is doing such underhanded reporting, they are all guilty.
60 minutes did a interesting and factual story about the joint chiefs member, who told bush we need more boots on the ground to provide iraq security after saddam is deposed.
bush wanting ONLY YES MEN fired the joint chiefs member:(
Incidently obama hired him as a member of his new adminstration
On Sun, 04 Jan 2009 15:43:43 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Shinseki - nominated as Secretary of Veterans Affairs.
BobR wrote:

You overlooked the Dan Rather fiasco.

Which one, the one he got fired for or the one which vaulted him into the national limelight to begin with? Rather got his big break onto the national scene when he reported on race riots in Houston in the late 60's. Race riots which were paid for by the media in Houston. I was there helping my cousin lug the camera gear around and setup to film the riots. I saw the money exchange hands and Rather among others were there and witnessed and/or participated in the exchange. I never watched anything Dan Rather was a part of following that time. If anyone thinks that the news media is any less corrupt than any other organization, they are living in a vacuum.
On Sun, 4 Jan 2009 20:11:58 -0800 (PST), BobR

Dan Rather gained fame covering the JFK assassination, (walked a few blocks to file a report) not some trivial riot in Texas that made him famous. He is a Texan.
Oren wrote:

Hmm. There has been only one race riot in Texas in modern times - at Texas Southern University (1967). JFK was assassinated in 1963. Rather joined CBS in 1962.
No, Rather's initial fame took place when he was virtually the only reporter on the scene to cover Hurricane Carla in 1961.

I can be wrong, but apparently Rather was first to announce over the public air that JFK was dead. He ran to the local press office after the shooting. He claims the fame, I guess.
-snip-

I think you are. Cronkite was the network guy-- and he announced it during an afternoon soap opera. I think Rather was still a local figure & they I doubt they could have broken in on a network program.
I think it is ironic that the same thing that made the last 8 years a nearly constant clusterf**k sullied the name of a guy who would have loved to see them outed in 2004-- hubris. Blather was/is an arrogant blowhard, but all in all he did a pretty good job until he got carried away by the Bush ANG story.
I think he did a better job reporting from the field in vietnam than most of his compatriots- at least his Vietnam looked the most like the one I spent a year in.
Jim [Talk about thread drift. . . That lousy Bush/ANG report had nothing to do with 60 minutes- and Rather has had little to do with it in his long career at CBS.]