The year we lose our TV signals

Page 1 of 15
Welcome to 2009. The year we lose our TV signals. What a way to start the year, knowing in another month and a half, we will lose our tv reception, unless we subscribe to costly cable or satellite tv. Oh yea, they tell us we can get convertors and even give us coupons worth $40 for the $50 and up boxes that DO NOT work in rural areas, because the digital signals are under-powered for those in fringe areas. Yea, i know this first hand. I got my coupon, bought a $60 box for $20 and the coupon, and while I used to get 7 channels (occasionally two more), with the converter box, I get PBS. That's it. I can watch Mr. Rogers, Sesame Street, Teletubbies, and all the cruddy english garbage they show, but no local news, no weather reports, no Soaps (that psrt is OK, I hate soaps)...... I'll just miss the local news and weather reports, and once and awhile South Park..... Either way, even despite most of the crappy tv programs, like American Idol, all the Crime shows, Survivor, and the Springer Show, I will still miss the tv. On the plus side I will no longer have to climb on the roof to fix my antenna after a windstorm.....
Of course there is one good thing about 2009, we'll lose BUSH !!!! A much welcomed loss.......
It looks like 2009 may end up being NEUTRAL. We lose an asshole president and out tv signals.
Happy New Year
Robert

Progress. At some point in technological life we have to move on and some are going to be left behind. You can't buy leaded gas any more either. You don't have to subscribe to cable, but you do need a digital TV. I don't know how well that will work in your area compared to a box.
I have to wonder how many people will wake up and not have any TV at all and not have a clue as to why. They've been talking about it every hour for months but some will still say "no one told me"

Of course they will. It's inevitable. :-)
Cheri

For some, that will be true. e.g. those inthe frings areas. ALL the adds talk about how great it will be, but NONE of them yet have mentioned, that I see anyway, anything about fringe areas needing to add better antennas and possibly amplifiers.
Another who gets only PBS on DTV.
On Fri, 2 Jan 2009 15:51:55 -0500, "Twayne"

I can get CBS, NBC, Fox (and probably ABC and CW after the transition). I wish that included PBS.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Progress? The reason for the change from analog to digital is money, nothing more. It allows removal of some VHF and UHF from TV use thereby enabling those friendly, caring folks in Washington to peddle the freed up frequencies. The feds get billions...and the manufacturers get to sell new, "improved" TV sets. Wide screen ones at that (another useless "innovation").
--

dadiOH
____________________________
dadiOH wrote:

yeah, those original round screens are the way to go - who needs "innovation"?

Exactly. Just what was wrong with a 6" round screen.
Harry K

Exactly. Just what was wrong with a 6" round screen.
And who was the idiot that decided we needed color?

And remote control.
And why do we need TV after 11 PM?
And whatever happened to the tube tester, and the TV repair guy who made house calls?

that tv repair bguy is back fixing those big screen sets too big and heavy to move.
although LCD is killing their business again
AL wrote:

The 35mm format with a ratio of 3:4 worked just fine for 100 years plus. Yes, movies moved on but TV retained it. Why change?
If people want to buy a wide screen TV (or computer monitor), well and good; I have no problem with that. What I *do* have a problem with is the manufacturers selling them by the same old diagonal measurement...people buy, say, a 32" widescreen to replace their old 27" and they think they are going to get a bigger picture. They aren't. To get an image even the same size they would have to buy one (in this example) almost 34".
--

dadiOH
____________________________

I don't have a problem with new technology, but I do have a problem with having it forced on me, such as DVD's vs VHS tapes. I much prefer the VHS format, but you can't rent movies that way anymore, so if you want to rent a movie you have to have a DVD player. No sooner do you get that, then Blu-Ray starts, and on and on. At least the VCR's were viable for many years, now every time you turn around, something becomes so obsolete that it's no longer viable even while it's still in good working order. This all happens in a very short time these days.
I was just fine with Win98 for instance, but nothing supports it anymore, so had to upgrade to Vista, which is OK, but certainly not better IMO.
Cheri

You have a choice, you can keep watching your VHS tapes as long as they last. Nobody is forcing you to watch anything. Hell I still have a Beta player and a bunch of Beta tapes that I watch. When I bought the CD player it was my choice, nobody forced me to buy it. I may someday buy the BlueRay or not, again my choice. As for the change over to digital TV, again it is my choice to either watch TV or not and if I choose to watch, I got my converters for free.
Oh yes, you could have gone with LINUX instead.
You have a choice, you can keep watching your VHS tapes as long as they last. Nobody is forcing you to watch anything. Hell I still have a Beta player and a bunch of Beta tapes that I watch. When I bought the CD player it was my choice, nobody forced me to buy it. I may someday buy the BlueRay or not, again my choice. As for the change over to digital TV, again it is my choice to either watch TV or not and if I choose to watch, I got my converters for free.
======== No, I don't have a choice if I want to watch a new movie...since new movies do not come in the VHS format. When DVD's first came out, both options were available, so I did have a choice. Obviously, nobody forced you to use common sense when replying either.
Cheri

Yes, you have a choice...don't waste your time watching the damn movie. If you don't chose to use common sense and not watch it, don't bitch about it. You always have a choice, you just don't like the available choices and find it easier to bitch about it than make your silly choice and shut up.
wrote in message

Yes, you have a choice...don't waste your time watching the damn movie. If you don't chose to use common sense and not watch it, don't bitch about it. You always have a choice, you just don't like the available choices and find it easier to bitch about it than make your silly choice and shut up.
=========== You, don't waste time replying to me with your nonsense. You're obviously one of those people that offers nothing useful, but lives to take your silly hostilities out on other posters. Do you have any idea how many of you there are out there? Always looking to slam somebody in newsgroups? People like you are twice as annoying as any TV signal or DVD.
Cheri
snipped-for-privacy@invalid.invalid (Robert) says...

What really irritates me are the ignorant conservatives who think the world ended the last time they figured something out, which was about 1968. If they don't want to participate in progress, then they don't get the benefits of the progress. It's like they expect us to cripple ourselves because they are too stupid to read an instruction manual.
--
For email, replace firstnamelastinitial
with my first name and last initial.

TRUE, and most people do not know that the first cars, like the model T Ford, got around 3mph. Even the heavy large cars in the 1950's were not too bad on milage. Now we got all these luxury items in cars that just suck the gas milage. Then they add all the polution controls, and more milage is lost. I do agree with clean air, but not if the process causes more gas waste. I always wondered about the facts they claim. Fo example, if a car emits 1000ppm of pollution for each gallon of gas, but only gets 10 miles to the gallon, then a car that emits 1500ppm pollution, but gets 20mpg, is less polluting. Of course they dotn tell us this stuff.
And constantly replacing tvs, computers, phones, dvd players, etc also requires a lot of energy to manufacture new ones. For example, why must people keep buying entire new computers, rather than just change the CPU to upgrade? Of course we all know it's because the manufacturers do not make the motherboards upgradable, and then every few years they change the whole case and power supply. Like from AT to ATX, etc. Of course WE as homeowners are constantly told to conserve energy. So we buy a new refrigerator or computer which will save $20 worth of energy per year, but how much energy is used to manufacture that new item? It's not really about saving energy, it's about making sales for these companies. As always, we as consumers are being lied to.
Robert
On Sun, 04 Jan 2009 02:29:05 -0600, Robert wrote: <...>

Imo, most people buy new computers for the convenience of it. They don't cost that much, perform better, are more energy efficient, usually have a new OS, and are ready to use. (Yes, I know that if the new OS is Vista, that may not be a "good thing".) If one is DIY inclined, one can use the existing case/PS, hard drive, and peripherals - and get a mobo, dual-core cpu, and memory for less than $200.