Stupid Store Employees / Inconsiderate Stores

I just came home from a Menards store. I needed to buy another livestock watering tank. The store only had one 70 gallon and one 100 gallon tank in stock. Both were stored outdoors. The temperature is zero today. I decided to take the 70 gallon one, paid for it, and went outside to the lot to get it. Now. you tell me why they had them on the shelves with the OPEN side UP. The tank was half filled with ice, and it took 3 guys to get it off the 5 foot high shelf, and load it in my truck with all that ice in it. I am now running a stock tank heater inside of it, (still on my truck), so that I can bucket out the melted ice and unload the thing. WHY, WHY, WHY don't they put them on the shelves upside down? It don't take a rocket scientist to figure that out????

It's a good thing I didn't buy the 100 gallon one. That one was about

12 feet up on the shelf, and since it did not have other items above it, like the one I bought, and was on the top shelf, I have a feeling that one was entirely filled with ice. There is no way we could have lifted that.

This just makes no sense to me. Even a complete moron should be able to figure out that they should be stored with the OPEN side DOWN. I am not cutting down Menards, I do a lot of business with them, and am generally satisfied with their products and customer service. But this is just plain assenine. If I weren't for the fact that I needed the tank immediately, they would have lost a sale, and I would have gone elsewhere to buy one. But then too, could I have found one?

This brings up another gripe of mine. When the stores are full of Christmas items, and I mean ALL stores, they dont stock "normal" items. Last week I was at Walmart and decided to buy another garden hose, since I had one break. I bought a hose at Walmart during the summer and found it to be one of the best hoses I have gotten for the price. Well, I was shocked to find they did not have one single hose. I asked the clerk, who had to call the manager, who said they do have them in storage, but can not get to them, until all the Christmas merchandise is gone. Well, excuse me..... I have nothing against Christmas decorations, but my animals need water 365 days a year. They dont stop drinking at Christmas. I also use my manure fork all year round, as do I use shovels and other yard type tools. If I break one of these, I need to buy another, and can not wait until all the Christmas decorations are put away. Even the local farm supply store is lacking in farm items, but well stocked with Christmas decorations. They were out of electric fence gate handles the other day, and those things break more often in winter due to ice, than any other time of year. Yet, not a one in the store........ This is very inconsiderate to their customers and it really pisses me off !

Mark

Reply to
maradcliff

Well, I would have looked at the tank first, then knowing that the

100 gallon one was probably more full, I'd have bought that one and had the joy of watching those workers sweat pulling it down.

Possibly, should check the phone book.

This is called "Seasonal" items Like lawnmowers, chippers, and such. You're more likely to buy them during the time they are normally used, instead of those "Rare" occasions.

Of course, why not go back to Mennys and buy one there instead?

Reply to
Gene

I was in a restaurant in Connecticut and the guy was mopping the tables with the same mop that he used on the floor, and he just wheeled his bucket out of the restroom. And this was at a nationally known fast-food place.

Bob

Reply to
rck

Was that the kid wearing mistletoe hanging off the back of his belt?

Reply to
Lee K

He's mopping the tables with the floor mop. You're eating there. Who's the dummy? ;-)

Reply to
Andy Hill

So, why not have it put in your truck upside down? Let the ice melt enough for it to drop down on the bed, lift the tank off, remove tailgate, back down an incline at a sprightly speed, and jam on the brakes?

Reply to
Ann

Hi,

This should be a good lesson for you! Keep spares..

I admit that sometime you run out of spares. But if you replace your stock before it gets to low then you most probably won't have an emergency.

I try to keep my fence items on hand. Those dam animals don't know anything about material science. Plastic does get brittle as the temp goes down but the animal doesn't.

As for the quality of store personnel, we as a nation expect something for nothing generally, Walmart is a good example. The price of items is reflected by the support people needed to provide said items. So if you buy from a Walmart, Menards' or where ever. You should expect to get service that is reflected by the price you pay.

The class of people who work at the bargain price stores/suppliers tends to be a younger non-experienced person. Some are just working to get by while others are just working while still in school. Sure occasionally you will get a older person who is just working to supplement the retirement income, who might have some experience in the area. Even then you cannot depend on that!

I see our local TSC is advertising for help with farm experience. Most farmers I know don't have time to work in TSC or the like for the advertised wages. Lot of the younger experienced hands wouldn't work for that wage either. So they hire a person who has never worked on a farm let alone step onto one.

I do not expect much from the clerks. I just want one that can point me to the item I am requesting. Or get the item from stock. Even at this level it can be a demanding task. Simple example, I was at the store in the cheese section looking for some fetta. I asked a store clerk if they stocked it. He said 'What's that?'. I explained what fetta cheese was and he had to go to his supervisor (older about 45'ish). He didn't know! he called the deli department. Sure enough it was stocked there about 100 feet away. Sure not in their department but the idea of someone that works in a dairy department doesn't know about dairy is absurd. But education for ones duty is not necessary if all you do is move items from a cooler too the shelf.

Same goes for any area of the work place. Most people will do enough to just get by. As another poster stated about the mom & pop hardware store. They would go out of their way to help you. If they could provide something the clerks would find a way to get the desired item or point you to another provider if all else fails.

Regards and God speed,

Gary

The magic is in the Magician not the wand!

The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!

Gary

I'm not the dummy, I left before ordering.

Bob

Reply to
rck

What bugs me to no end these days is going to a store like Home Depot or Lowe's and, IF you can find somebody to help you, it's somebody pretending to be Bob Vila, when in reality he doesn't know which end of a hammer to hit the nail with. I do NOT mind if he just says, "I don't know."

Once I was in Home Depot looking for a tube of caulking. I wanted the kind that goes around the edge of a bathtub. Not around the floor, but the upper rim, where it gets wet. Of course, it needed to be waterproof. So this dingbat walks up and I ask him, "are you very experienced with caulking?" and he blares, "oh, yes sir, absolutely, what can I help you with?" I told him, and he scratches his chin, looks around and pulls out a tube of Liquid Nails!

He stood there frowning and studying the lable for a couple of minutes (while I'm just STANDING there), and finally said, "well this would probably work... see, it says 'water resistant' right here.... anything else I can help you with today?"

I just walked off. I have this vivid mental image of that guy caulking his bathtub with Liquid Nails..

Ron M.

Reply to
Ron M.

"rck" <

Reminds me of the time we went to a McDonald's in Norwich CT. We ordered at the counter and my wife waited while I went to the restroom. I returned and demanded my money back as I was not going to eat anything prepared by employees of that place. We left and a few others in line left also. If was disgustingly filthy and looked as though it had been that way for a long time.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

pretty good handiman. After retirement I worked in Lowes ToolWorld for a while. When customers learned that I actually knew what I was talking about, they wouldn't let anyone else but me help them. I even had customers ask me to follow them to other departments to help them. Not that I was that smart or good, but I never tried to BS them and they appreciated it.

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S.

There used to be a guy like that at Dick's Sporting Goods in the fishing department. Must've been a mistake, putting an actual fishing addict in that department. The guy was amazing. Some suit at the home office must've found out that he was selling people 3 times more lures than they came in for, showing them the best knots to use with the products, and writing down locations where he'd had some luck catching fish. They moved him to the clothing department.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

clipped

Sounds like a college student. Probably working on MBA :o) How do so many survive? :o)

Reply to
Norminn

You expect consumers to be any more sensible than the idiots behind the counter?

How do you think things have gotten so bad to begin with?

Reply to
Noozer

Thats what made me wonder about this thread. The OP was annoyed at how big box stores operate but probably helped put the local store out of business.

Reply to
George

Gary posted for all of us....

Should have asked for Fromunda

Reply to
Tekkie

Doug Kanter posted for all of us....

He's now in charge of the fur lined jock straps...

Reply to
Tekkie

Remember, half the population is below average intelligence. Some of them are way below. It is fortunate that Ronald McDonald has created menial jobs for them.

Reply to
Larry Caldwell

I avoid going to (any) stores in December. It is too hectic and too hard on credit cards. I have plenty of household repairs to do with everything I need.

Reply to
Phisherman

I worked in a restaurant that made the salad in the same sink where the floor mop was rinsed (I'll leave it to the reader to determine which restaurant). I guess what you don't know won't hurt you.

Reply to
Phisherman