Old furnace to heat garage

To occasionally heat the garage (450sqft) could I just connect the exhaust to the old chimney flue connector and let the hot air from the plenum heat the garage? The garage is finished but very leaky.

Reply to
Martik

Give more detail. Your post isnt making much sense .

Reply to
JustCallMe Norman

dont fudge with the exhaust! Carbon Monoxide!

In any case, most furnaces exhaust heat isnt that hot anymore about 10 feet down the line.

If its a high efficency unit, they dont even need steel ductwork, they just use PVC.

Lots of small electric heaters out there that would do the job safely...

Reply to
Sexytom976

It may be against building code to have a heat duct into the garage. It will allow heat into the garage, but can also allow carbon monoxide into the house.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I am almost sure it is going to be against code. They are kind of funny about breaking the fire barrier between the home and the garage as well as providing a nice source of ignition if you have a gasoline leak in the garage.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

PVC ductwork? Wow! Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

I'm replacing a 20+ year old upflow gas standing pilot furnace that is located on a wall adjacent to the garage. The new furnace will not use the old chimney so I could connect the old furnace from the other side of the wall. Rather than toss it out, I might as well use it as a garage heater. It would only be used by myself and shut-off when I'm finished.

Reply to
Martik

Good points, anyone want a used furnace?

Reply to
Martik

connect the

air from

leaky.

garage.

kind of funny

as well as

in the

Aren't furnaces and water heaters in the garage fairly common? I have a gas overhead heater in my separate garage.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Opps sorry, shouldnt have said ductwork.... (most refer that to the heated side of the house)

I was referring to 4" to 6" exhaust. Hi Efficency units have issues sending their exhaust up and out the chimeny because the temperature that comes out of the furnace is too low. (you need heat to get a decent draft up and out of a chimeny)

So allot of new HI Eff. units just use PVC pipe routed to the outside of the house.

Bubba wrote:

Reply to
Sexytom976

Reply to
Bubba

Yes they are, and frankly I don't think they are much of a problem, but I don't have the facts. I have heard of local codes that prohibit them, but I have no idea of how common that may be. Thanks for pointing that out and allowing me to clarify my statement.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Well, stick around Bubba!You will catch on soon enough! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

The fire wall penetration is a problem. As for a furnace in a garage, I doubt it is against code any where, as long as it is installed properly Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Reply to
Bubba

It's not against code to have a heat duct into the garage; it is against code to have a return in the garage if it's the same furnace that heats the house. That isn't what's being discussed. The only code issue here is that the return to the furnace isn't allowed to be within 6' of the firebox if it's an open combustion unit.

Dan

Reply to
Dan

It is very possible. I'd suggest to discuss it with the heating tech who is putting in the new furnace. I would imagine it would make a good garage h eater.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon