Stanley Garage Door Opener Beam Sensor Components

Hi All,
I'm looking for some advice on troubleshooting/fixing the obstruction beam sensor assembly (part #49522) on a Stanley Quite-Glide garage door opener (model UT605-F09).
The red LED on the sensor used to be on all the time and the beeper would only sound when the beam was broken. Now, the red LED is off all the time and the beeper sounds every few seconds. I tried cleaning the optics and setting the sensor/emitter up on my workbench, independent of the motor unit, with a separate 12 VDC power supply. Even with the sensor and emitter lined up a few centimeters away from each other, the red LED won't light up and the beeper sounds. I can hear a faint buzz from the sensor board when the emitter is pointed at the detector. The buzz goes away when I hide the emitter.
The resistors and capacitors on the sensor's circuit board look to be in good shape (nothing is burned out or leaking), so I suspect either the phototransistor, the IR LED, or one of the other semiconductor components is shot. I'd like to try replacing them all before giving up on the unit. The transistors and diodes are labelled clearly enough, but I'm not sure what parts to buy to replace the optoelectronics and the 8-pin chip (labelled P7104 I 7507807 µEM810G). Can anyone help me identify them?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Don't replace anything until you are are sure it is bad. My neighbor had trouble like yours and the problem was the sensor housing on one side had fallen down some. So realign the sensors until both leds are glowing.
Bob AZ
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

If you haven't already done it, is there a way of by-passing the sensors? Just a way of verifying that it is internal to the sensors.
Add pictures here
✖
Without the sensor I can open the garage door with the remote control, no problem. I can also close the door by pressing and holding the hardwired pushbutton inside the garage. The only thing I can't do right now is close the door with the remote because, by design, the opener won't close the door if it can't find the sensor.
I'm sure it isn't an alignment problem since I've tried moving the emitter directly in front of the receiver and the problem persists. I tested the wiring too, since I've heard that is also a common problem with beam sensors. It was all good.
I've been quoted $50 for a new sensor assembly. It would be a shame to replace the whole thing when replacing a $2 component might do the trick.
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

You obviously have isolated it to the sensors. And I expect that a $2 component is probably what it needs. Just the question if you want to spend the time of tracing out the circuit and measuring voltages. I never looked inside of those things but probably not a lot of components. I would be most suspicious of the LED.
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Ask in sci.electronics.repair. If the chip is a microprocessor and it's bad, you're screwed, but I think it's a generic part, maybe a comparator, and I don't think it's failed. The most common problems with garage door sensors are cracked solder joints and broken wiring, and wires can break inside the insulation (usually where they pass through the hole in the box) but look fine from the outside.
Add pictures here
✖
In sci.electronics.repair snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

you can check the emitter side using a digital cameras view screen. infra-red shows up as white light on them,good for checking remotes too.

Add pictures here
✖
jpaulson14 had written this in response to http://www.thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/Stanley-Garage-Door-Opener-Beam-Sensor-Components-131299-.htm : Hello,
I have the same Stanley 49522 Photo Eye beam sensor assembly, but the pins have rusted and broken off of the photo transistor, so it is no longer usable. Does anyone know the part number of the photo transistor and where I might find it? Or the wavelength of this 49522 beam assembly? I tried using a Radio Shack photo transistor with a wavelength of 850 nm but it only worked when the receiver was side by side with the sender.
Thanks, Jim
Add pictures here
✖