Soap Scum Removal ????

I have a problem with soap scum all over the shower doors. Part of the problem is from the rotten well water here which when combined with the soap gets hard as a rock. I've tried every useless bathroom cleaner on the market and nothing touches this crust. Does anyone know of a chemical that will cut the scum ???? I've tried every brand of bathroom cleaner as well as white vinegar..... HELP !!!

Reply to
Brian

Didja try CLR ?

Reply to
Rudy

Yup...............

Reply to
Brian

is from the rotten

tried every useless

know of a chemical that

white vinegar..... HELP

A little baking soda on a damp cloth or just my hand works fine for me. Soap scum is waxy stuff that results when calcium or magnesium in water replaces sodium or potassium in soap. Without much scrubbing, the sodium in the baking soda can replace the magnesium or calcium in the soap scum, turning it back into soap that will rinse away.

Adding salt to the baking soda makes a more abrasive mixture which may help if the soap scum deposit is thick.

Reply to
E Z Peaces

is from the rotten

tried every useless

know of a chemical that

white vinegar..... HELP

Textured or smooth glass? If smooth, scrape it off with razor blade scraper. Then use Scrubbing Bubbles...best stuff there is for cleaning bath/showers.

Reply to
norminn

I have also had good results with "Dow Scrubbing Bubbles" cleaner.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Brian wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Steam clean?

Reply to
Marina

is from the rotten

tried every useless

of a chemical that

white vinegar..... HELP

Try the DOW scrubbing bubbles. Spray it on, wait 2-3 hours, scrub with a brush dipped in household ammonia, rinse. You may have to repeat the cleaning. Use a daily after-shower spray product, any brand will do.

Reply to
Phisherman

On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 14:26:19 -0400, against all advice, something compelled Brian , to say:

How about DW-40?

Reply to
Steve Daniels

oblem is from the rotten

ve tried every useless

e know of a chemical that

as white vinegar..... HELP

Use a hardwater castile soap. You will feel cleaner and there will be a lot less soap scum.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

problem is from the rotten

I've tried every useless

one know of a chemical that

ll as white vinegar..... HELP

Forgot to leave the name, Kirks Castile soap. Its not everywhere but I could always find it in OKC where the water there will knock the bottom out of the bucket its so hard.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

Don't laugh, it may just work.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

is from the rotten

tried every useless

of a chemical that

white vinegar..... HELP

If you don't mind working with pool acid it will do the trick. I have taken shower doors from one of my rentals outside and laid them on the grass and poured pool acid on them and scrubbed with a long handle hard bristle broom like you'd use around the house to sweep stuff into a dust pan. You want to be careful not to get acid on yourself, wear eye protection, etc. But it will work and fairly quickly. It didn't even seem to hurt the grass. Hose the area down well when done.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

is from the rotten

tried every useless

know of a chemical that

white vinegar..... HELP

The problem with that is hydrochloric acid eats the aluminum frame of the door.

Reply to
gfretwell

problem is from the rotten

tried every useless

know of a chemical that

white vinegar..... HELP

That's what I thought would happen but I was surprised that it did not seem to do so. These were so bad it was either acid wash them or replace them. Keep in mind that the frame was no longer shiny to start with so maybe whatever "eating" it doesn't really doesn't make it look much different. The ones at my home are frame less.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Agree with you about hydrochloric acid. A milder acid is Sulfamic Acid (by TILELab), made for tile, grout and concrete. Mix it weak and I'm guessing no harm to metal frames. Of course rinse frequently.

Reply to
Oren

is from the rotten

tried every useless

know of a chemical that

white vinegar..... HELP

Have you tried a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser? (Or one of the store brand knock-offs). I've had good success with that on soap scum.It's cheap enough to try, even if it ends up not doing much.

Reply to
Lee B

vinegar works well too.

Reply to
charlie

oblem is from the rotten

ve tried every useless

e know of a chemical that

as white vinegar..... HELP

Ditto on the EDFRED for this purpose - there are uses reviews posted.

How to clean shower door? Look at the science of soap scum and hard water stains. Think back to high school chemistry.

1.There is a mineral buildup that needs a mild acid to neutralize. Not pool acid, please! Phosphoric acid is relatively very mild, and used in many cola beverages in small amounts. It also does not have a crappy smell, which is a factor for a lot of us. If you have any rust issues they should be handled too. (I think Navel Jelly rust remover is jellied phosphoric acid.)
  1. Also you have soap residue that needs a surfactant. The presence of phosphoric acid also probably helps against the soap. (Acid neutralizing the alkaline soap)

If you check a product's material safety data sheet (MSDS) you usually can see what is in the product if the company is transparent about it. The product the poster mentioned has their MSDS here

It shows a healthy does of both 1. & 2., which is why the other poster here had good results. If you can find a product that has similar ingredients to this, science (yippee!) will do the job for you.

I have never had much luck with vinegar, lemon juice or many of the new "green" cleaners.I am too impatient and want to get the job done and over with in as little time as possible.

Reply to
surfergirl

[snip]

Kaboom, Dow's Scrubbing Bubbles, and Limeaway all work for me, depending on the time I have available. I soak the showerhead while wiping down the two clear glass doors with Kaboom. Usually takes 10-15 minutes work. If I have a little more time, I use Dow Scrubbing Bubbles because it is my all-purpose cleaner. Limeaway is the Big Bertha. I only bring that out on REALLY bad build-ups.

Kaboom

(When the above link breaks, click on the tinyurl below
)

Dow Scrubbing Bubbles

Limeaway
(When the above link breaks, click on the tinyurl below
)

The Ranger

Reply to
The Ranger