Soap scum/lime scale - resists all known treatments

I have a build-up of soap scum / lime scale on the shower screen. previously this has been dealt with by steam cleaning once it got too much for proprietary shower sprays to deal with. Then a combination of meths and/or lime-scale remover followed by steam cleaning seemed to be necessary. Now I cannot remove the damn stuff at all.
Done vinegar too, btw. We spray after each shower with whatever that shower-spray stuff is, which does prevent it getting worse; but there's still this residual blemish that nothing seems to shift.
Any suggestions?
me here wrote:

Angle Grinder.
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

There is definitely a product available from morrisons which does the job... Viakal Just dont get your hands on it..use rubber gloves.

and don't get it on aluminium, or in an enamel bath, or on stainless steel...
--
Andrew Gabriel
Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Where do you get that from? From the P&G web site;
Viakal can safely be used on:
Chrome fixtures, stainless steel and fibreglass surfaces, ceramic tiles, porcelain (sink, shower tray, WC, bidet), glass/plastic (shower doors, plastic baths, vases), aluminium. Viakal is also safe for septic tanks.
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Maybe it's not as strong as it was 8 years ago, when it stained my stainless steel sink.
--
Andrew Gabriel
On 28 Feb 2009 20:00:25 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

AIUI not all products described as stainless steel are actually made from stainless steel.
ISTR mention being made of something called "Chromium Iron" amongst others.
Derek

There are different mixes for different purposes, and you need to compromise on the set of properties you want. E.g. the most stainless types are useless for sharp blades.
--
Andrew Gabriel
On Mon, 02 Mar 2009 20:51:56 +0000, Derek Geldard wrote:

Chrome iron, IIRC, is about 18% chromium; ferritic st. st. (the simplest type) is about 10 - 25% Cr and is the cheapest. It does tarnish - nickel is used to stop that. We used 18% CrFe at work for Rolls Royce wheel trim - then loadsaplating.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stainless_steel
--
Peter.
me here wrote:

Since glass is pretty inert it can't have soaked in, it must be on the surface.
Limescale dissolves in acids, no question - so you need a stronger descaler.
Soap scum probably also contains body fat. Both respond to alkali cleaners - but you need a stronger one.
Look up 'Janitorial Suppliers' in your local YP & pay one a visit. You can get really good products at surprisingly low prices.
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk
me here wrote:

LimeLite active gel is the dogs nuts for this kind of scum. Failing that your best option is brick acid!
http://www.limeliteinfo.co.uk/products.asp

Start a policy of only using liquid soaps. Leaves no scum therefore you don't damage surfaces and make them prone to staining due to excessive cleaning.

I find Cillit Bang works well on that sort of stuff. However, don't pay whatever outrageous price they charge for the real stuff. Your local pound shop will have "Sonic Boom" which as far as I can tell is exactly the same stuff for 1.
On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 10:22:23 -0800 (PST), martin snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote: <snip>

I wonder who the guy is that comes up with these strange names for cleaning products - and if he has any children, I wonder what he called them??
Regards,
--
Stephen Howard
Woodwind repairs & period restorations
Stephen Howard wrote:

The Yanks are the best at this sort of thing. Used to deal with Butcher Polish in the USA.
Floor cleaners included Hot Springs & Sundance, floor polish strippers/removers called Jackhammer and Crowbar, polish called High Noon, Iron Stone & Lightspeed, spray cleaners called Overdrive.
All the Yank chemical companies are the same.
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk
me here wrote:

Ozkleen - brilliant stuff for exactly this: <http://www.tesco.com/superstore/product/list.aspx?itemsP604431,51127971,51717624,58664185,55456655,54213501,50600314,51872617,52047188,51717653,56228763,56073547,51202974,54299871,51883852,51464191,51434503,55574837,54739052,59078284,51384446,51364689,50882618,52879637,52965005,57259618,51445415,58999572,59085407,51424550,57231100&listId throom%20cleaning%20products&specialOffer=0&popup=1#>
David

On occasions I have used Harpic limescale toilet cleaner to remove limescale on baths, taps, basins etc.
When applied it fizzes up a treat, but I don't leave it unattended on chrome plated taps, or plugholes, because it strips off the chrome in no time ! Don't ask me how I found this out !! I rinse thoughly with warm water when finished, and I don't let the kids get their hands on it.
And, before all the naysayers pipe up, I know it says on the container, " Do not use on anything other than Toilet bowls", but I don't care.
Viakal is good as well, but it's got nowhere near the power of Harpic.
This information is provided with no warrantees, so don't blame me if it dissolves your shower screen.
Ian.
Ian French wrote:

Oh you rebel, you...
On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 19:30:11 -0000, Ian French wrote:

It contains hydrochloric acid! Many years ago I worked in the lab. of a big plating firm and we used HCl to test chrome plate by timing how long it took to get down to the nickel. It'll also go for stainless steel and brass - you can clean your basin back to the ceramic!

--
Peter.

I always use Kilrock for limescale. Works on everything IME.
However, wear rubber gloves or it will suck every drop of oil out of your hands, and use in a well ventilated space or the fumes will rip your lungs out.
Al.