Lime/scale slowing own toilet. Fix?

We have very hard water in this area and my water softener circuit does not include the toilet (yup, fixing this is the long term solution) which has over the years required more and more hold-the-handle-down time to properly flush. I installed a "slow" flapper valve a few weeks back, which stayed open long enough on its own for a while but not any more. Is there any reasonable way to get rid of the lime build-up within the passages?

TIA

Reply to
Bob

You can mechanically ream the tiny rim jets around the bowl lip with a tool made from a coat hanger. The siphon jet may require a sharp knife.

After you get the major stuff off, get some Muriatic acid. Use ventilation! Wear goggles! Pour maybe a cup of it down the overflow pipe inn the tank. Pour about a cup of water after that. Let sit for 15 minutes. Don't breathe any of the fumes!

Now, flush the toilet to get the dissolved minerals out.

Some folks use vinegar but I don't think it's aggressive enough.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Thanks, I'll try it.

Speedy Jim wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@nls.net:

Reply to
Bob

For the cost of the chemicals, you can skip all this and buy a new bowl at home depot.

Reply to
PJx