Slow draining toilet, what's that in the pic?

Hi everyone! I recently moved to a new flat, and our toilet does

not flush properly (sometimes we need a few flushes to clear it).

I noticed this big white box in the tank, and was wondering, could that be there just to save water?

'imgur: the simple image sharer'

'imgur: the simple image sharer'
tank fills up all the way otherwise, and empties almost completely when flushed,

but there seems to be too little water/force. Any tips?

Thanks! :)

Reply to
sjiraff79

It's not very clear on the picture.

I would say that it is probably something to save water. Especially if it fills up and works Ok when removed.

I would remove it and keep it to one side.

Are you on a meter? It might be something that's been put in to save water, so the tank fills up quicker.

Reply to
Giss

I see nothing there that shouldn't be there. The round thing is the syphon for flushing it.

Does the cistern empty completely? If not, have you tried holding the handle down? But it's probably a design feature, less water in the flush is obviously a water saving green feature. Until you have to flush it twice.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

On one of mine there is a little plastic collar on the syphon that you rotate to expose a hole if you want short and long flushes. If the hole is closed you always get a long flush. I can't see if there is one in the picture.

Reply to
dennis

Your telling me. All I can see is a reflection of something rectanglar (window?) on the water surface in the first pic and a tank full of water with all the normal bits one would find in a cistern, like the syphon, the float valve and overflow.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Replace the diaphragm that lifts the water in the syphon. They split with age and then don't work properly.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Once it's started flushing, the actual mechanics shouldn't matter - it's self sustaining.

I'd look for scale round under the rim, causing friction. Also the actual inlet to the bowl may be obstructed.

Reply to
Bob Eager

What I want to know is who's bare foot is in the picture. Can't be the photographer unless he's a contortionist.

Reply to
Graham.

Also remember to buy some more loo roll, you're down to the cardboard.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Taken on a phone? You never know which way is up unlike a real camera. Had a collegue asking how to invert a video he had shot on his iPhone but the wrong way up the other day. The iPhone automagically rotates the view on the screen but not what it records... typical apple.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

With the top off, flush it and see if all the water empties out. It should do but as others have indicated, there may be a "trick" to getting a short, or long flush. FWIW I have two cisterns, for one "hold means short flush" and for the other "hold means long flush" - sigh!

All the stuff in your cistern is part of the regular cistern works, no water saving devices visible.

Someone suggested fixing the flap valve, this would only be needed if you can't get the thing to flush properly when you crank the handle - you know, those loos where you have to pump, pump, pump before it starts flushing. Basically there's a sheet of plastic (the flap valve) which starts this off and when that sheet splits, you get this problem.

One more thing, if the entire toilet bowl is limescaled, this doesn't help. Those Harpic tablets which you drop in overnight (or whilst at work) do a good job of getting rid of the limescale. Buy a box, and some Viakal, drop one in and spray the bowl including under the rim and leave as long as possible. Repeat this until the bowl looks like new, which could take 2 weeks if nobody has every done this before!

Paul DS.

Reply to
Paul D Smith

What big white box? You could have cleaned the rim of the cistern before taking the pic. This is a very posh group!

Reply to
Mr Pounder