Slow Close Toilet Seat Too Slow

I have a slow close toilet seat, wood with chrome hinges. When I first installed it a couple of years ago, a gentle push started both the seat and lid closing with the seat closing in about 7 seconds and the lid in about

  1. Now, that same push gets the seat closing as usual, but the lid stops. I have to manually close the lid to about 45* before it will move on it's own. Once it starts it takes over 3 minutes to close.

This is not a big deal now but it might be if the seat begins to exhibit the same problem.

How do these slow closing hinges work and what would make just the lid part slow down?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

As the speed of the universe increases, relative time appears to be slowing down. That's why the work day seems to take so much longer. There's nothing you can do about it.

Reply to
micky

Is it temperature sensitive???

Reply to
hrhofmann

It does not seem to be. If it were I would expect that both the seat and lid would close at the same rate. However, it is only the lid that has slowed down to a point that we don't even close it any more.

It's not necessarily the closing speed of the lid that's the issue, it's more that we have to close it almost halfway before it will even begin to close by itself. If I just give it a push to get it started like I used to, the seat closes but the lid stays still at a weird angle. The design of the hinges are such that it takes some effort to close the seat/lid manually due to the dampening mechanism. As long as we're pushing the lid halfway down, we might as well just push it all the way, which obviously defeats the purpose of having a self closing seat/lid.

In addition, if it's happening with the lid now, I'm wondering when it will happen with the seat.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I have the same problem. I'll just keep pushing until something breaks. Never timed it. In the beginning I wondered how long it would be before it got weak and slammed like a normal seat. I would guess I'm into it about 5 or 6 years. My chrome is starting to blister.

Reply to
Thomas

Is your seat closing at the "normal" rate and the lid closing slower or have they both slowed to a relative crawl?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

This thread is very interesting! Are you guys using stopwatches to time the lowering of these toilet seats/lids? :D

Reply to
thekmanrocks

e the lowering of these toilet seats/lids?   :D

Yep...I have a stop watch app on my smart phone.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

What you explained, usually is the result of not lifting the lid when a guy takes a leak. You can start by cleaning your toilet hinges at least every year, it should solve the problem from getting the nasty urine all over the place.

A little potty training never hurt anyone.

Reply to
Chris P. Bacon

They close slowly due to friction. I've only ever seen them with plastic hinges. I wonder if yours really are chrome inside the hinge?

Cleaning the hinge is what I see manufacturers recommending.

Most of the slow closers that I've seen allow you to also pop the whole seat off. Soak the whole thing in hot soapy water if you can.

I have a couple of them and I think they're great.

Reply to
Dan Espen

WD-40 usually cures everything ;)

Reply to
Frank

Both slow. As a side note, never pissed on the hinges.

Reply to
Thomas

Take a closer look. If you pee standing up, you are definitely splashing up on the hinges.

(Well probably.)

Anyway, things get crudy, even if you don't piss on them.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Yeah, I didn't even bother responding to that drivel.

Thanks.

Reply to
DerbyDad03