iron temperature

... as in clothes iron. How hot do they typically get? One of the wires running to the thermostat broke in ours, but of course it was crimped onto the fitting (and no chance of prying the crimp apart). I could solder it, but I'm assuming that they don't use solder for a reason...

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

..the reason being that heating element wire - constantan or nichrome - simply dont solder..

irons dont run much above 100C mainly.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In this household they do (albeit the iron don't get used much these days). European irons with the settings in terms of 1, 2 or 3 dots should comply with GINETEX standards for textiles in which One point means 110 C, two points means 150 C and three points means 200 C.

So I think the OP was right to eschew "ordinary" solder.

Of course if like my old gran you heat the flat iron on a gas ring then the operating range may be greater ;)

Reply to
Robin

Wire wrap, or maybe a larger crimp tool?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

That's useful to know, especially if you want to use a george forman grill when the iron is broken.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

High temp solder might work, but I'd probably just tie it with 0.5mm iron wire.

NT

Reply to
NT

C.

> So I think the OP was right to eschew "ordinary" solder.

I have successfully soldered such things in the past: if away from the element and in the "air space" it may be OK

Reply to
newshound

Yes, I may just end up wrapping it (and of course SWMBO may just end up with a new iron, if I can think of a good reason to keep this one kicking around in the workshop :-) - I think that the big reel 'o solder that I have is probably too low-temp to be useful.

cheers all!

J.

Reply to
Jules Richardson

I only know because of the time the laminator broke and I wanted to use the iron to bodger some laminated charts - using pouches in a carrier so the iron was not at high risk;)

Reply to
Robin