Soap Scum Removal ????

All of these are good. I use the Dow product mentioned and allow the foam to work for a few hours. Then scrub the surface with a brush dipped in household ammonia after the soaking period, and rinse with cold water. Use lots of ventilation. I can clean the shower/tub in less than 1 minute, all while holding my breath. It helps to use a daily shower spray. Use of acids is not recommended as it can damage metal parts.

Reply to
Phisherman

Thanks, Phish, for the step-saver re: scrubbing foam and ammonia. I'll have to give it a try using my breather (until I'm able to minimize my wasted movements.) ;) I've got all the necessary chemicals.

I've found the daily shower spray (also by Dow) is only a delayer not an actual cure. I get the same length of delay from simply squeegying the water from the walls and glass. But, as proven by Phish's experiences, YMMV.

The Ranger

Reply to
The Ranger

> (When the above link breaks, click on the tinyurl below

> (When the above link breaks, click on the tinyurl below

Scrubbing Bubbles is a brand name for several products. The one I know for soap scum uses an unspecified acid. Why add ammonia?

Why hold your breath? I'd be more afraid of spattering ammonia in my eyes. Strong vapors can be irritating but exposure isn't known to be harmful in the long run. If you don't like the vapors, you can dilute it. Straight from the bottle it has a lot of dissolved NH3 gas. Diluted, the ammonia is mostly NH4+, which stays in the water.

Some recommendations for treating soap scum come from cleaning kitchen sinks or toilets. Unless one washes his hands in the kitchen and feet in the toilet, I don't know why soap scum would appear in either place.

Simple soap scum is insoluble soap, which has a waxy feel and is hard to see on an opaque surface. It's pretty easy to remove. Baking soda on a wash cloth works fine for me.

If I neglect it, it yellows and can get rough like sandpaper. I think it happens when mineral deposits accumulate on the soap scum. I've tried Tilex ( which is hard on the skin and the vapors are harsh ), another spray soap-scum remover, CLR (mineral-deposit remover), vinegar, Bon Ami, and ammonia. Baking soda works best for me.

Sometimes a wash cloth will remove a yellow buildup easily. Sometimes a plastic brush makes a big difference. Sometimes if I can't remove a stain in a minute with a wash cloth, the baking soda will dissolve it if I walk away for a few minutes.

Reply to
E Z Peaces

Brillo pad.

Thomas.

Reply to
Thomas

Brilliant.

And when you've scratched the glass, you'll have provided an abraded surface for more minerals and scum to adhere to. :)

Reply to
The Ranger

oblem is from the rotten

ve tried every useless

e know of a chemical that

as white vinegar..... HELP

Dow Scrubbing Bubbles is a good choice. Also squeegee the doors after every shower as recommended by another poster. Three swipes on each door should do it, about 30 seconds to do so.

About every 2-3 months I also use Rain-X. The water just rolls off the glass.

Reply to
Brent Bolin

You're talking about "pool SHOCK"? Hmmm. That's CONCENTRATED bleach -- maybe basic, not acidic?

David

Reply to
David Combs

pool acid is not pool shock.

Reply to
charlie

Well, then what IS "pool shock"?

THANKS!

David

Reply to
David Combs

Usually concentrated chlorine. A base, not an acid.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

. Base: In other words a 'strong' alkali?

'Javex' (Javel?) and some other domestic cleaners may be a 5% solution of sodium hypochlorite; IIRC?
Reply to
stan

oncentrated chlorine. =A0A base, not an acid.

Also BTW. Find it amusing when someone will say, for example, 'The acid leaked out of the battery in my flashlight and the inside is all rusted" etc . Then you take the thing apart and quite clearly there is a leaking and corroded ALKALINE cell!

Reply to
stan

pool acid is hydrochloric acid: HCl pool shock is sodium hydroxide: NaOH

Reply to
charlie