small stiring heating unit

Page 2 of 2
I usually check the element for continuity, using a VOM.
In addition to check for voltage.

You've verified that you have 120V present at the heating element, ie that it's not the thermostat or something else that's faulty? In my experience, it's more often something other than the heating element itself.

Absolutely. I should have noticed that.

On 3/18/2012 4:38 AM, micky wrote:

Well, don't be absolutely positive about that w/o checking...I _think_ it's possible for the element to have an internal break so only a lead portion is heating. This would be easy enough to tell...

The obvious first step is to do the diagnostics, indeed...
On Fri, 16 Mar 2012 21:05:04 -0400, joevan wrote:

How is the element removed? It almost looks as though the alloy casting is crimped around it every 2" or so - is it actually designed to come out (without grinding the casting and then having to find some way of securing the replacement element again after)?
cheers
Jules

Ah, that is a genuin chuck away piece of hardware. If the element is broken, it is not ment to be repaired. In most cases I have seen, it was not the heating tube, but the thermostat switch, or the over-temp protection element. The last one is most critical, it ages, and when it breaks, you have to get a new one. It looks like a small metal cylinder(3mmX12mm) in one of the feeding wires.

Looks to me like you drill out the rivets that attach the brackets to the heat coil, then slide the heat coil out of the grove.
Did I read that the problem is, it doesn't get hot enough? If that coil is not broken, I don't think replacing it will be a cure.
How about the energy source?
--
Dan Espen

That could be it. The heater could be designed to only work with electricity from a nuke and he's trying to use hydro or coal based electricity.

Yeah, okay.
I meant whatever components this thing has between the coil and the wall plug. If there are any other than the switch.
--
Dan Espen

On 3/16/2012 3:10 PM, joevan wrote:

The calrod type heating element will either work or it won't. It won't produce less and less heat.
Look to the temperature control adjustment I see on the left of the picture. It appears to be a simple compression device that changes the gap between two contact points. Disassemble this unit and clean the contacts. They will burn and oxidize over time and result in exactly what you are experiencing in reduced heat.
It all looks custom made, so you probably can't find a replacement control short of the factory.
Paul

Doesn't sound like a very thorough search for a repair part to me. Why not contact Tefal directly and just ask? Tefal makes small consumer type appliances. If they don't have a replacement heater for this, good chance it's time to chuck it. I don't believe you're going to find any universal type heating elements that will fit that specific curved shape.
Also, something was said about it not getting hot enough anymore? Which would seem to imply that this happened gradually? Has someone competent determined that it is actually the heating element as opposed to say the thermostat that controls it?
What are you doing with this? What's the application?
I am looking for a place where I can get 8 inches or a foot of resist wire. It is about 3/8 inch in diameter. The unit fails to get hot enough anymore and we need it and cannot find anything like it. What type of supply house or business do I start my search with.