small stiring heating unit

I am looking for a place where I can get 8 inches or a foot of resist wire. It is about 3/8 inch in diameter. The unit fails to get hot enough anymore and we need it and cannot find anything like it. What type of supply house or business do I start my search with.

Reply to
joevan

You are looking for resistance wire that is 3/8 inch in diameter? Are you kidding?

Bet you are looking at something like a GE Calrod. That is a metal tube with resistance wire wound inside. Like on a kitchen electric range.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Drahn

It does sound like you're looking for a heating element, not a resistance wire. Why not replace the heater?

Reply to
RBM

It is not a heater. It is a unit with a heated surface and a pan with a special column thru which a column and it supports a special stirring paddle. We have searched for such.

From my assistants email " Tefal no longer advertises it as you said and it didn?t mention parts available under the section for repair. I will keep looking."

Reply to
joevan

OK, It sounds like some type of Calrod. On one end of the rod there should be a wattage and voltage stamped into the metal. This should help to locate a similar element if the manufacturer can't get you a replacement

Reply to
RBM

I could post a picture of the heat element. What is a good place to do so?

Reply to
joevan

The calrod type heating element will either work or it won't. It won't produce less and less heat.

Look to the temperature control adjustment I see on the left of the picture. It appears to be a simple compression device that changes the gap between two contact points. Disassemble this unit and clean the contacts. They will burn and oxidize over time and result in exactly what you are experiencing in reduced heat.

It all looks custom made, so you probably can't find a replacement control short of the factory.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Drahn

Photobucket, Flickr are OK

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Maybe a picture of the entire device would be good also, so that how that heating element/ Calrod is being used by the appliance...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

Ok I will try but to get to the heating unit I had to remove some of the wires. They make it very difficult to get inside of newer things, I guess to keep people from repairing them.

Reply to
joevan

Doesn't sound like a very thorough search for a repair part to me. Why not contact Tefal directly and just ask? Tefal makes small consumer type appliances. If they don't have a replacement heater for this, good chance it's time to chuck it. I don't believe you're going to find any universal type heating elements that will fit that specific curved shape.

Also, something was said about it not getting hot enough anymore? Which would seem to imply that this happened gradually? Has someone competent determined that it is actually the heating element as opposed to say the thermostat that controls it?

Reply to
trader4

What are you doing with this? What's the application?

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

f the rod there

Because many small appliances can be dangerous if you do not repair them correctly -- you definitely will void the UL rating unless you replace what you suspect is the faulty part with an identical one, and given how purpose-specific that application seems it is unlikely to be available as a replacement part...

Appliances made these days are meant to be recycled when they fail, the high cost of some of the replacement parts and the labor to install them is supposed to motivate you to buy a newer unit..

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

I would buy a new one if I could find one. We use it to make a special paste used for paper repair. If it can be repaired that would be good and would save me the 25 minutes of standing at the gas range stirring it while the paste cooks.

Reply to
joevan

Here is another shot showing the wire leading to the thermostat. Also another one showing connection wires above the heating element.

joevan

e:

nd of the rod there

You've verified that you have 120V present at the heating element, ie that it's not the thermostat or something else that's faulty? In my experience, it's more often something other than the heating element itself.

Reply to
trader4

rod there

I need a voltage meter. I heard that harbor freight has one for 10 bucks. I will check on it now.

Reply to
joevan

rote:

e end of the rod there

a replacement

You could also hook a light bulb up across the heating element using some jumpers. It lights, you have power. Or one of those cheap $2 neon AC tester lights.

Reply to
trader4

Looks likely a thermal cutoff under the black insulation.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Absolutely. I should have noticed that.