Slide-In Electric Range

We are about to replace our electric range. Why are the Slide-In Ranges so much more expensive than the Free-Standing models ?

much
And IMHO much harder to fix! A plain old 'standard' four burner plus oven electric cooking stove can usually be slid out (on a piece of plywood to protect the floor if necessary) and worked on from all around; still plugged into the range outlet in the wall. Also you can buy small castors or dollies that replace the metal feet of some models that make it much easier to move it out to clean/work behind it Your choice but personally I wouldn't bother with "Built Ins". Your mileage may vary. Terry

I hate mine! The prior owner installed it. There is an opening in the wall for the wires coming up from the basement. Mice sometimes find their way up the wires and underneath the burners (after they're cooled) and jump out on top of the stove.
On 1/2/2005 10:47 AM US(ET), Pasar took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

That's a fault with installation, not with design. If it were a free standing unit, would the previous owner not have left the same hole for the wires ?
--
Bill

There would be an outlet w/o any holes.

That is not the fault of the range. Seal the hole with some spray in foam. Better yet, get rid of the mice. My wife would freak out if we ever had a mouse in the house, let alone come out of the range!
I see some cats wandering around our property at times. While I'm not a cat lover, I've never had a mouse around so I leave well enough alone and don't bother them.
(Edwin Pawlowski) says...

I have found that the best thing to seal mouse holes with is steel wool.
--
http://home.teleport.com/~larryc

Not as many used (sold), therefore limited production, costs a lot more for the slide in than the free standing. Sears is about the only place you can order one and get it in a few days.