Should water remain in bottom of GE washing machine after it's done?

Hello,
We just bought a new GE washing machine. After we ran it through a full cycle (with no clothes), I opened the top lid and moved the center agitator --and I heard the sloshing of water beneath the stainless steel tub. Do all washing machines leave standing water in the bottom beneath the tub??!! Shouldn't this drain out?
Thanks E.

No. Yes

Try www.repairlinic.com or www.applianceaid.com for some diagnostics. Could be a clog, bad pump, timer cutting short.

My machine is doing this a little too so I am curious

The most likely cause is an obstructed discharge path.
Remove your drain hose from the back of the machine and see if it is obstructed in any way. Work your way back to the tub, looking for obstructions.

I found a sock in my drain hose and had the same symptoms.
The drain hose had a rubber one way valve that was also full of lint.
All washers--top and front load--leave some water in the outer tub, depending on the efficiency of the pump. These aren't high-tech pumps that get every last drop, but they pump most of the water out. If the water is not visible in the basket, then the water that is below the basket is of no concern. Keep in mind that another sourcing of the sloshing noise you might hear is water contained inside a permanent balance ring, which you can hear when moving the tub. This is very easy to hear in some models, especially the older maytag neptune front loaders.

One other thought is that after the pump shuts off there is some back flow of water coming from the drain hose since the outlet is much higher than the discharge of the pump. Assuming that there isn't a check valve between the pump and the drain line. MLD
On Mar 18, 9:35 am, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Yes and no. Yes, it can be of no real nuisance as long as the basket is properly vented. Front-load washers are especially prone to developing mold and mildew issues because the door creates a water- tight interior and moisture has nowhere to go. Top-loaders don't have as much an issue because air can circulate. Either way, unless you have a real problem with the aesthetic, leave the door to your washer open and make sure you do a load of laundry at least every 3-4 days.
replying to nospamtodd, debra wrote: I have that problem water standing under drum it sours and makes clothes smell bad do they have a recall on any of these washer that any one knows of
On Mon, 04 Jul 2016 19:44:02 +0000, debra

I find it hard to believe that all the water is ever pumped out, at least the last water in the up-pointing hose, from the pump to the crest of the hose into the tub. That must run back into the pump etc after the pump turns off, for everyone.
If there is visible water, there's enough to fill the space between the outer tub and inner tub, plus a little more. Why would that happen if the pump works?
replying to debra, Ms. LaTonya wrote: I'm having the same issue... it stinks