Semi-OT: Email Program

Page 4 of 5
wrote in message

Thanks again! I checked the old apps site and they claim versions up to at least 31 are compatitble with 2000. Is there an advantage to going with 12 over the later ones?
======== http://kb.mozillazine.org/Unsupported_operating_systems "Windows 2000 and XP SP1 are no longer supported starting with Firefox 13 and Thunderbird 13 due to Mozilla moving to the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 compiler."
On 11/9/2015 2:45 PM, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:

[big snip]

Thunderbird is a constantly evolving and improving product. If they claim versions through 31 will work with W2K, why not give it a try. I've been with Tbird for ages and I have yet to see them roll out a version where it had me saying "Crap! I wish they'd leave well enough alone. Now they've screwed it up."
So go big or go home. Try 31 and if it doesn't work or you don't like it, no biggie. Just go back and load an older version.
It costs you nothing but a little (very little, actually) time to load the different version.
Unquestionably Confused wrote:

Seamonkey is also compatible with W2K. Browser. mail and news net server. I've been using it long time. Now at release version, 2.39
wrote in alt.home.repair:

I sort of agree, but not completely. Thunderbird keeps adding features that I have no interest in, such as Lightning (calendar) and chat. Fortunately, those features are fairly easy to disable. I like the core program and continue to use it.
I use Pale Moon on a couple of my computers. PM is basically TBird, minus some of the bloat.

An issue with Thunderbird for people that receive and keep lots of email is that there is a 4GB limit on the size of a folder, at least with the standard 32-bit build.
alt.home.repair:

Would that not be an issue with any email client running on a 32-bit Windows OS?
A 64-bit edition of Thunderbird was recently released.

Is it an official build? There have been various "unofficial" 64-bit releases available but those always seemed to be old versions.
Roger Blake wrote:

It is an official build BUT it isn't completely ready for prime time. Still has a couple issues.
--
Steve W.

alt.home.repair:

That must be why Mozilla isn't promoting it and are keeping it somewhat hidden on their site. I tried to find it to answer this thread, but I couldn't find it. I did find it before and have it installed on my laptop, and it seems to be working just fine. I haven't noticed any issues yet, though I haven't put it under any real stress yet.
alt.home.repair:

Sorry, I misspoke here - I use Fossamail instead of Thunderbird on some computers. Pale Moon is a varient of Mozilla Firefox.
On 11/9/2015 7:56 PM, Nil wrote:

I really don't like the new calendar that's been added to TB or the chat option. How do I disable them?
--
Maggie

On 11/9/2015 11:01 PM, Muggles wrote:

[snip]

If the Calendar tab is showing just close it by clicking on the "X" in the right corner of the tab. To open it back up, either click Ctrl+Shift+C or use the drop down under EVENTS & TASKS.
I rather like the Calendar implementation in a business setting. It syncs with the calendar on my smart phone as well as my Google Calendar. I can, but don't, give access to associates or the office manager and she could plug in items for me. Pretty slick and FREE!<g>

Thanks for the help.
--
Maggie

To disable the, go to Tools | Add-Ons | Extensions and disable Lightning. If you're never going to use it, uninstall it completely, like I did.
To disable Chat, go to Tools | Options | Advanced | General | Config Editor. Search for the key mail.chat.enabled and change its value to False.
On 11/10/2015 12:23 AM, Nil wrote:

ahhh! Awesome! Thanks for the "how to"!
--
Maggie

THANKS VERY MUCH to everyone for all the great help!! This problem has been fixed by the brute force method. Probably not the easiest or best way, but all is working again as before so far. What a relief to be able to go back to normal again....
Thanks to whoever it was that said .... MS is the only business that tells you it's most recent product is full of problems, stops supporting it and tells you to buy another one.
FWIW, here are my last fixes....
I created a new identity and set it up to send/receive using the same email address that has the problem. I can send/receive just fine with the new identity. Then I moved all the folders over from the old identity using windows explorer and the problem came back. I moved a few folders at a time until the problem started again. Then move the last batch back and the problem went away. I then moved those folders one by one until I found the bad one which has nothing but spam emails, deleted it and moved all the rest. That fixed the repeating sent email problem.
More work.... After moving the files, I opened them one by one and saw that some dbx filenames no longer match the contents. So I am opening each one now, creating a new folder with a correct name, moving them into the new folder and then deleting the old folder. So far so good.
Now it doesn't matter about moving mail rules because I have to set them all up again manually. Not a big deal since many are out of date now.
As I have time, I'll still install thunderbird. No more "up" grading of MS products for me. Eventually I want to get away from all MS products and try Linux. If Linux is not the way to go, I'll get a Mac before going back to MS.
Thanks again fellers!
=
in message Folks, these are the two best groups on usenet for real practical help, so pls pardon the semi-OT post.
Let me start out by saying I have been happy with Windows and Outlook Express for 20 years until now. I have 2000 on this computer and no serious problems or plans to change OS, except now Outlook Express is acting up. I won't go into the sob story, but I need to install a 3rd part email program. If it won't work with 2000, I'll change to XP, but won't install 7 or 8.
I'd rather ask you fellers and fellerettes instead of the computer groups because I need "practical" advice that I can install in one hour or less and not tie up several weekends trying to set it up and download updates.
Thanks in advance!! Happy Friday!!! It's 5 o'clock somewhere!!
Snuffy
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:

Linux? Ubuntu and Mist are lot like Windows GUI. Sooner is better... You can install Mist as a tester along side Linux. I dual boot Linux or W7 Ultra 64 bit. I ain't upgrading to W8 or W10. How come you have so many spam emails? I don't get any.

help, so pls pardon the semi-OT post.

Outlook Express for 20 years until now. I have 2000 on this computer and no serious problems or plans to change OS, except now Outlook Express is acting up. I won't go into the sob story, but I need to install a 3rd part email program. If it won't work with 2000, I'll change to XP, but won't install 7 or 8.

groups because I need "practical" advice that I can install in one hour or less and not tie up several weekends trying to set it up and download updates.

or

Thanks, will give these a shot. The webhost spam filter removes 2 of my customers' emails. I went around and round with webhost and customers and no success. Both are too important to screw around with, so I removed all filters from webhost and set up mail rules, which by now divert 90% of spam without affecting the real emails.
By the way....I spoke too soon about recovering everything....
Nearly all the files came back except 2 folders containing all incoming and sent emails dated 9/1/15 - 10/31/15, which I had moved out of the in & outboxes to archive. Prior emails in simliar folders and those still in the in & outboxes were fine.
I have scanned the complete hard drive for DBX folders and came up with some duplicates, but neither for those 2. Last backup was in August, so that's no help.
I have no idea what I could have done. Not a huge disaster - but still wondering if they could still be there under a different extension name, etc.
Thanks for all the help with recovering email. The problem turned out to be with the mail server (earthlink). It's fixed now. I was able to get back some of the emails from earthlink and others with unerase programs.
Another question for the OT computer gurus here....
I need to access incoming emails in my yahoo account from 2013. Going page by page will take all day. Anyone know how to get to a certain date, like 10/23/2013 and then export a batch of emails?
I have searched online and read all the yahoo instructions I could find and not finding any help.
Thanks.
Snuffy
On 12/4/2015 11:28 AM, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:

Assuming that you're using Yahoo's web interface to view your mail, can't you just go to your inbox, select display all (you can do this on hotmail and Gmail, I believe) and then scroll down, highlight those mails you want and...?