What groups across Usenet are still well-used for their intended purpose?

I’m doing some research for an article and would appreciate any pointers towards groups that are still, in 2019, well-trafficked and on-topic. For example, rec.autos.sport.F1. What groups across Big 8, uk.*, and other hierarchies do you keep in your subs list due to the good reading they make?
Ta.
--
M0TEY // STC
www.twitter.com/ukradioamateur

You could try this one.
alt.activism.death-penalty
;-)
Enjoy
AB

LOL. Ta.
--
M0TEY // STC
www.twitter.com/ukradioamateur
On 13 Sep 2019, Stephen Cole wrote

I’m sure there are none. The moment a NG becomes active and popular the trolls move in and start spamming. It’s an almost full time task to keep up with them and kill files them. This NG, uk.d-i-y is rapidly going that way. Give it another year and it will be unreadable. pfj
That very much depends on the user, surely? OK you can kill file people, but as text is such a low memory eating system, most of the time you just pick the threads that interest you just as you would because of topics on topic which do not interest you. I think the worst ones are those where the advertisers spam the groups, dealing with people paranoid about politics or whatever does not worry me in the slightest, if you let it do so you would never read anything on the internet due to adverts and click through links etc. Brian
--
----- --
On 13/09/2019 07:41, pete wrote:

Also the rise of search engines and forum sites has made Usenet a bit redundant for 'i need help' inquiries.
The only saving grace is that its is the one place that is not censored by anyone but its participants.
Which is why UK.d-i-y is highly political right now. Where else can you have freedom of speech?
--
“People believe certain stories because everyone important tells them,
and people tell those stories because everyone important believes them.

I do think that some of the posters fixated by politics should give up listening/viewing any news broadcast and stop reading any newspaper or similar Internet content for a month. When they resume they may find that fuck all has changed apart from their mental health for the previous month.
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

Didn't someone say, quite wisely: "Put politics in command!" What is more important?
--

Roger Hayter

On 13/09/2019 13:30, Roger Hayter wrote:

What was that criticism that you laid at my door for replying to all NGs without deleting the crossposts?
Physician (literally), heal thyself!
On Friday, 13 September 2019 10:35:29 UTC+1, alan_m wrote:

If only!
pete wrote:

uk.legal is already at that stage

That of course is why, some years ago, ulm was established. But it does have its disadvantages for wide-ranging discussion.
--

Roger Hayter

On 13/09/2019 13:30, Roger Hayter wrote:

I suspect that the original poster is being disingenuous and deliberately misleading in his stated aims, for, having been justifiably panned for spamming irrelevant comments across several usenet NGs, he is unable to accept that his attention-seeking is in the wrong and is seeking to sanitise his own antisocial actions by then claiming that all NGs are similarly affected.
Do NOT feed the cole troll!
(Cross posts to NGs other than the one I read have been deleted)

Fuck all with on topic and it obviously depends on how you define well used.

On 13/09/2019 09:11, Rod Speed wrote:

uk.music.charts is still regularly used, an on-topic, if not at a high volume.
--

Paul Hyett, Cheltenham

Jesus, this has dragged the the trolls, troll-baiters (trolls in their own right) and weirdos out of the woodwork.
--
I don't have an attitude problem. If you have a problem with my
attitude, that's your problem.

You have certainly proved your own point.

And those who apparently don't know they're reading and posting to several groups. ;-)
--
*No I haven't stolen it , I'm just a shit driver*

I'm well aware which groups I'm posting to, Oh patronising one.
--
I don't have an attitude problem. If you have a problem with my
attitude, that's your problem.

Sorry for thinking you made a mistake rather than doing what you are complaining of others doing.
--
*Husbands should come with instructions