Sears incompetence

Page 2 of 4

The hoods I've installed before, the new ones fits into the old space without any side-to-side play.
Ok, I'm checking another house now and the hood is indeed about 3/16" off at one of the corners. Nothing is level nor plumb - track house where everything were slapped together in a hurry. Sloppy installation but I never notice it until now.

friend of mine bought a dishwasher from Best Buy with installation. He pulled his old one the day before his new was to be installed. Guy pulls up with his new one and brings it into the kitchen. The installer was 6'4" and about 475lbs. Not kidding...475. He couldn't into the opening under the counter to hook the new one up. It took three weeks until a suitably sized human was sent to install the new dishwasher.
kenji wrote:

As usual you get what you pay for. If you are capable of doing the installation yourself is one thing. The alternative is pay more and buy from a reputable contractor to start with.
In article

I think the general public shopping at national retailers have the expectation that an installation is something the retialer can do efficiently. Probably 95% of installs with Sears, Best Buy, etc...all go fine. As usual you really only here about problems, not the installs that go smoothly. Kind of like ISP problems.
"kenji" wrote

This is the first time, that I heard someone actually bought an appliance from BB.

Not too different than anywhere else. I bought a washing machine from them. What I liked was that I picked one out paid for it and whipped it into my van all in less than 20 minutes. That's how I like to shop.

When I bought mine from Best Buy I was assured I would get a Best Buy installer and not a sub-contractor. I was very clear up front that I wanted a Best Buy employee. If they didn't have their own installers I'd pay the extra $75 and buy from a local appliance center. They showed up in an unmarked van, both were in filthy plain t-shirts and jeans a since my new washer was not hardwired they whacked me for $85 to install an unprotected non-GFI outlet directly under a faucet. Best Buy had no interest in correcting this after the fact. Nor did they care that my salesperson flat-out lied to me about who would be coming to my house. Not to sound like an asshole to any subs out there but if I am to have someone in my house I want to know who they are and have a choice. This has been my policy since some similar 'no name' subs installed my Directtv several years ago, saw a motorcycle helmet and chatted with me about bikes for a bit about a week before my bike dissapeared from my garage. It may have been a coincidence but better safe than sorry.
Steve Kraus wrote: ...

Be thankful they recognized the problem up front before destroying your kitchen. At least they were straight up before making a mess rather than leaving you w/ a _real_ problem.
A "cabinet might have to get moved over an eighth of an inch" might as well be a foot -- unless it's free-standing on a wall with nothing else in the way (quite unusual in most kitchens over/beside a range), moving it any is likely to become a remodeling job.
It would have been nice to send somebody out to look at it, but for such a small job scope, not too surprising they wouldn't. They (Sears) has a particular niche market and it basically is bolt-in/drop-in replacement. Anything else is not what they're after.
If can't find a new unit that will fit w/o modification and you're not able to do the installation yourself, I think they gave you good advice.
dpb wrote:

All appliances have installation instructions, including the space requirement. I learned the hard way when we bought a new wall oven :o)
Since the contract called for installing a hood (relatively easy), it is a rather large "oops". I would not expect the installer to do a freebie of major proportions.
We had "Sears" redo our kitchen - new doors/drawers on cab., reface cab., new countertops, install new sink. I would not have chosen Sears, as it was hubby's choice. The carpenter (sub) was total professional, did great work, and came back twice for minor adjustments. The plumber who installed and hooked up the sink was a total jerk, who tried to bluff us into believing the sink should be held down only with silicone caulk. Even I know better :o) Never have contractors work late on a Friday :o) When we called Sears back for the adjustments, there was no hesitation - scheduled and returned quickly.
We had floor tile installed by a small, local contractor. His crew was top-notch - two young guys who moonlight for HD. They were very skilled, knew all the tricks to make adjustment for significant issues, and we could not have been more pleased. He had a separate crew who undercut baseboards to allow for tile; no half-assed newbies or guys working outside of their skill area.
I would start over and make the right deal with someone who is contracted to do what needs to be done.

Did you take the time to call a kitchen specialty dealer and find out what they would charge to do the job, as well as what their procedure was, in terms of coming over to measure before making any recommendations or promises? I'm always mystified as to why this seems to be the last thing people do, after they've wasted their time with the bigger stores.
When shopping for things that have to be installed, ***always*** shop the small, locally owned businesses. Some may be as bad as Sears or Home Depot, but some will be excellent.

OK...what do I look for in the Yellow Pages to find a local guy who installs a kitchen range hood?

I'd look under "kitchen", which should lead you to listings for companies which do kitchen remodeling. Don't let the word "remodeling" scare you. Many such stores are happy to sell just one item and install it, if necessary. I bought my Moen faucet through a company like that. They were $20 cheaper (for just the faucet) than Home Depot. It was a special order items for both stores, so the comparison is a valid one. The store offered to install it, but I didn't need help with it. My main reason for going to a local dealer was that just in case I simply didn't have time to install the thing, I knew I could call these people and have them handle it. I don't think it's right to buy an item from one place, and then ask a competitor to install it.
My point is that you may be able to buy a hood cheaper from a smaller company, which can also install it if you need them to. You may also be able to speak to someone who actually does the work, and he may be able to give you tips on doing it yourself. I've run into this twice recently, once with an appliance store, and with the company that handles my heating service.
Finally, even if it *is* more expensive, there's some value in peace of mind, especially since this is for your mother.

he should be taking his mom out for meals

Don't go to Yellow Pages. Talk with real estate agents, or even better, a real estate management firm, in your mom's area and ask who they use.

they'd use a hnadyman or a carpenter
kenji wrote:

Some Balkan or East European off - the - boat that doesn't know what they're doing...
--
Best
Greg

BTW, I did the job myself yesterday.
On Tue, 16 Jan 2007, Steve Kraus wrote:

and how many wall tiles did you have to remove?
barbie gee wrote:

In the end I opted to leave the tiles be and put the hood a tile thickness farther over. I ended up with the cabinet to the right shifted by 1/4" (less than the thickness of a tile because there was a little excess to start with).
I ended up taking down the upper cabinet as the right one wasn't going to come out otherwise. Then took down the right, removed a lip that was spacing it away from the right side wall, put it back in position on a temporary support, reattached the upper one (with lag bolts, not wimpy original screws, one of which missed the stud), worked out the electric, duct damper business, mounted the hood, mounted the right cabinet. Filled in the gap with patching plaster (I'll see how that goes; maybe do something else later. Probably a strip of wood painted to match.)
The electric issue was that the feed (armored flex) was on the left; new unit wanted it on the right and contains the blower on the left. I drew a chart representing the small range of movement for the flex line and found a suitable place on the hood where it could enter away from the fan, drilled and Greenlee punched it. Ran new internal wiring to get from left to right.
Yeah, a long job and no I wouldn't expect anyone to do that for $150.00. Never did.
Here is the end result:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y129/filmteknik/hood1.jpg
From this angle you can only barely make out the edge of the tiles in question but they are the same as the ones directly behind the cooktop.

the paper towels over the stove make me nervous and what's that grate on the vertical portion of the cabinetry under the stove?