Sears, I'll miss the tools

Page 4 of 4

handy now and again. 1960 was the last year I worked in the ford garage in VA. The same place in still going with the same owner, boss and my younger brother is still working there. He is just 5 years younger than me. Isn't amazing how fast the years pass!!!

We had a 0.5" drive breaker bar from HD. Sheared off the square part while working on a halfshaft job. [Jeeze; the pipe was only about 10' long....]
Walked into HD. Went to desk. She asked "Do we stock these?" and I went and found one. She tagged the broken one & said "you're set..." and away I went.
craftsman tools like screwdrivers are no longer chrome plated, newer ones rust:( I repair roll laminators for a living and now use some environmentally friendly water based cleaners. only trouble is the craftsman tools in my box rust:(
only stores that are no longer around add WT GRANT. they closed in the 70s.
On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 18:32:57 -0500, Frank

Good book about the rise and fall of Sears (Amazon.com product link shortened)25169803&sr=1-1

amazing that you didn't tear the threads out of the pan instead of breaking a socket. SOMEbody shoulda been using a torque wrench on that plug. Probably needed a new crush washer too,so it would not need to be tightened so tight to prevent leaking.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
On 12/29/2011 7:01 AM, Jim Yanik wrote:

LMMFAO!! a torque wrench on a drain plug!! oooooooo kayy.
--
Steve Barker

I just put mine in until it contacts the threads. Then another half turn to be sure. Then 12-18 thuds with a 3/8" air impact set at 90 psi just to be sure. And one last twist with a breaker bar to see if it will move any more at all.
So far, so good.
Steve ;-)

Well, we wouldn't want it coming loose, now would we? I have seen just as many put in finger tight by minimum wage lackeys.
Steve
I've had experiences (shock absorbers on the back of a Chevrolet) where impact gun removed the nut, and breaker bar sheared off the stud. As to the oil drain plug, impact wrench might have been the correct tool.

amazing that you didn't tear the threads out of the pan instead of breaking a socket. SOMEbody shoulda been using a torque wrench on that plug. Probably needed a new crush washer too,so it would not need to be tightened so tight to prevent leaking.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

The difference between quality and crap:
I had to remove the head of a Puch twingle 2 stroke. It had square head bolts. I had no sockets. I used a SnapOn 10mm open end wrench slipped endwise down between the fins and on the bolt sq bolt head I turned it with a crescent wrench on the SnapOn wrench's shaft. Three bolts broke clean. The fourth finally broke free, but not before I twisted the shaft of the SnapOn wrench 1/4 turn from the head. When done, I put it back together and exerted enough force to twist the SnapOn shaft back straight with the head. I told the owner of the SnapOn wrenches, which I had borrowed, what happened and if he could tell me which wrench I twisted, I would replace it. He couldn't.
I had to remove an ignition nut from a Aermacchi 350 (H-D) single. I used a 10mm CRAFTSMAN open end wrench. Though used in the proper manner, the top finger snapped clean off. I was 30 miles from the nearest Sears.
These were both circa '70s wrenches. I think the SnapOn was made by Bonney, then. Can't say about the Craftsman, but it was the last Craftsman tool I ever purchased.
I still have 3" JH Williams adjustable wrench, the kind bikers hang on their key chains. I wore it thusly for 30 yrs and used it hundreds of times, often to the near breaking point. As bruised, battered, and mangled as it now is, it will still close tightly on, and hold, a single layer of rolling paper.
That's quality, guys!
nb
--
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

I trust you took those tools back to Sears. How did they treat you?
Dan

Irrelevant. The tools aren't the same as they were.
<Raises bloody hand with bandage>
We did this all to ourselves...we accepted crap (most of us) and now that's all we have...crap!
How many of us borrowed a pair of "lock-jaw" pliers (non-Peterson) and have a blood blister from its use to show for it?
wrote in message

Prolly a spell-checking error. My spell checker would turn you into "Duffer" if I clicked the wrong choice. You get bonus points for a) reading the article and b) finding the mistake. I'm feeling pretty wizened up these days myself. (-:
-- Bobby G.
On 12/30/2011 5:08 AM, Robert Green wrote:

http://seekingalpha.com/article/299441-12-companies-that-could-go-bankrupt-very-soon
Because of my overall warped mind, I thought for a moment the guy may have done it on purpose. ^_^
TDD