Sears, I'll miss the tools

A sentence, he followed his preposition with His schooling and education was simply a myth He dint no how to rite His punctuation was it a sight He dint gib no care about the punctuation with

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I'll throw your fat down the stairs, if you call me a hat, again.

Christopher A. Young "nobody's hat" .

Throw me down the stairs my hat.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

No, it's Yoda speak. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

The SnapOn Warranty... True story: in many years turning wrenches, just like other pros I would always shop the tool trucks that stopped by. This gives one an eclectic collection of brands and an appreciation of warranty policies. When I savaged a Philips screw driver one day trying to remove a rusty brake disc, I tossed it on the toolbox side tray where our SnapOn rep noticed it a few days later and volunteered to replace the blade. Nice. Fast forward, and the screwdriver gets in trouble somehow (don't remember). Same scenario, SnapOn rep gives me a lot of friendly grief about tool care and then departs for the truck, coming back in a few minutes with a new handle. Tried to pay the guy (after all its a complete new tool now) and he simply says, "We warranty the whole tool." FWIW, the tool is still functional and useful.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Great poetry. I like it. Fits here just raht.

Reply to
joevan

I still have my S and K socket set that I bought in 1960. It comes in handy now and again. 1960 was the last year I worked in the ford garage in VA. The same place in still going with the same owner, boss and my younger brother is still working there. He is just 5 years younger than me. Isn't amazing how fast the years pass!!!

Reply to
joevan

Not at all the same, but I had an "odd" incident in a Walmart in Florida maybe 3 years ago. Some town near the west coast by the Crystal river. Went to the sports department to get a couple fishing licenses and the guy told me he had to boot the computer and it would take at least half an hour to get up and on-line. I had people waiting in the car so I said "no thanks." Looked like the mid-tower he back there was old as the hills. Maybe an IBM PS1 with a 486 CPU like I had in 1993. Called the state game department on the cell and got my license confirmation number using a CC. Cost a couple bucks more. Surprised me because Walmart runs a slick operation. This year I picked up a cheap Shakespeare spinning rod for 15 bucks at a Walmart in Punta Gorda. About the third cast with a 3 ounce bottom rig it snapped about 6 inches from the tip. It wasn't a smooth cast, but the rod was defective. Never saw anything like that. Some how our schedule didn't get us back to Walmart so I tossed the rod in the trash. Shakespeare and many other former "American" brands are now made in China. That's why the rod was 15 bucks, and it showed. I'll stay with Ugly Stiks from now on. Still Shakespeare, but never had one break on me unless I slammed the trunk lid on it.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

Bullshit. I used them for years as a professional mechanic. My son is professional mechanic and uses them. And he uses Mac, Snap-on and Harbor Freight tools too. A wrench is a wrench, a chisel a chisel. If it fits it fits. If it cuts it cuts. If the forging and heat treating is right the only other decision is price. Snap-on and Mac vendors are just tolerated by most mechanics become they come to you, and they have some "unique" tools. Otherwise brand name is what I already said. Bullshit.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

Yeah, I always notice them - if they're there. If they ain't there, I don't notice them.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

Wasn't very deep, but the tide was running pretty strong. Fishing for anything that likes shrimp, but I caught a tarpon there once. But not on shrimp. Hoping for grouper or nice snapper. Wasn't using shrimp on that line though. Frozen cigar minnow. So whatever liked dead cigar minnow. And that was nothing at all. But the main reason I had the 3 on there was to toss it far out. You know, it's always better to fish where you can't get to. Especially when they aren't biting where you are. Same as "Man, I wish I could get over to that shore under those overhanging branches. Bet that's where they are." BTW, saying it wasn't a smooth cast might be too kind. Had something behind me and I jerked the hell out of it. Still shouldn't have snapped the rod. I've jerked many much harder and never had them snap.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

And I'll dissagree. I bought Craftsman tools when I started as a professional mechanic in 1969 and I still have most of them. The ones I don't still have were lost, not broken. I have not replaced 10% of that set in over 40 years. A classmate bought Snap-On tools at the same time - paid 5 times as much for them, and replaced half within the first 2 years. Darn good thing the truck came around every 2 weeks, because he NEEDED it. The Snappies are nicer looking, a bit nicer feeling, and have a bit more "panache", for sure - but the Craftsman stuff was definitely a lot more value for the money.

Reply to
clare

On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 08:22:27 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote Re Re: Sears, I'll miss the tools:

This explains it

Caesar Romano

For a trip down memory lane into the long gone days of yesteryear, may I take this opportunity to remind you all of: (among many others)

Korvettes Ames Caldor Woolworth Gimbels Murphy's Mart (GC Murphy) Zayre's and of course, Montgomery Wards!

Reply to
Larry W

We had a 0.5" drive breaker bar from HD. Sheared off the square part while working on a halfshaft job. [Jeeze; the pipe was only about 10' long....]

Walked into HD. Went to desk. She asked "Do we stock these?" and I went and found one. She tagged the broken one & said "you're set..." and away I went.

Reply to
David Lesher

craftsman tools like screwdrivers are no longer chrome plated, newer ones rust:( I repair roll laminators for a living and now use some environmentally friendly water based cleaners. only trouble is the craftsman tools in my box rust:(

only stores that are no longer around add WT GRANT. they closed in the 70s.

Reply to
bob haller

Do you think 1969 tools may be different quality than 2011 tools? I do!

.

And I'll dissagree. I bought Craftsman tools when I started as a professional mechanic in 1969 and I still have most of them. The ones I don't still have were lost, not broken. I have not replaced 10% of that set in over 40 years. A classmate bought Snap-On tools at the same time - paid 5 times as much for them, and replaced half within the first 2 years. Darn good thing the truck came around every 2 weeks, because he NEEDED it. The Snappies are nicer looking, a bit nicer feeling, and have a bit more "panache", for sure - but the Craftsman stuff was definitely a lot more value for the money.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Indeed we do, and I avoid doing business with places that allow cults to operate on their property and harass their customers. BTW, for anyone who thinks the SA is not a cult, do a bit of research and report back.

Reply to
Pete C.

Please define "cult" for me.

.

Indeed we do, and I avoid doing business with places that allow cults to operate on their property and harass their customers. BTW, for anyone who thinks the SA is not a cult, do a bit of research and report back.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Isn't that the past tense of going through and throwing out the too small and bad fish, shrimp or clams. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I was thinking a sentence which might be like "A cult is a group which has the following characteristics...."

.

Hare Krishna?

Or followers of the Comet Hale-Bopp?

"...in March 1997, the cult Heaven's Gate committed mass suicide with the intention of teleporting to a spaceship they believed was following the comet..."

I saw the comet as my wife drove across the Sierra Mountains west of Reno, but never converted.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon