Sears, I'll miss the tools

On 12/28/2011 11:17 AM, joevan wrote:

No, it's Yoda speak. ^_^
TDD
I'll throw your fat down the stairs, if you call me a hat, again.
Christopher A. Young "nobody's hat" .

Throw me down the stairs my hat.
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On 12/28/11 11:50 am, joevan wrote:

Looks as though it was written by someone whose native language is Hindi, which has postpositions rather than prepositions.
Perce
You know, editors and people who can type correctly are rare, to find.
A sentence was missing a comma The Usenet, dissolved into drama The OP wrote he dint gib no f-ck It was just his bad luck The net nanny it was his momma!
Before the sad typist was back in the saddle His Mama did give him a dose of the paddle He turned his back She gave him a whack And now, he's back to typing his prattle (C) 2011, Stormin Mormon

Sears, where America no longer shops.
How about this. The spider crawled slowly the banister along . Sounds better now. : o )
On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 12:25:45 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

A sentence, he followed his preposition with His schooling and education was simply a myth He dint no how to rite His punctuation was it a sight He dint gib no care about the punctuation with
But you followed your point with a Preposition?------- Sears, where America no longer shops.
On 12/28/2011 7:05 AM, bob haller wrote:

Untrue. The holding company that owns Sears and Kmart also owns the Craftsman trademark.

Also untrue.

Also untrue. Remainder snipped; clearly, you have no clue.

Actually, Costco has severely amended their warranty/return policy on electronics like computers and tv's, as customers were gaming the system to get free new models every few months.
nb
--
vi --the root of evil

On 12/28/2011 6:21 AM, Bill wrote:

i.e. less than 3% -- probably not nearly enough, IMHO.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/business/2011/12/28/sears-kmart-to-shut-stores-as-sales-fall.html
reason why people buy at Kmart is because its close. No one would buy at Kmart if theyre closer to a Walmart or Target."
It brought to mind something I'd read about ten years ago, that WalMart's market research showed that something like one-third of the people shopping at WalMart drove past a Kmart to get there.
I haven't been inside a Kmart for years. There used to be one about five minutes from home, but it closed around 2002, and now I don't even know where the nearest one is.
I find that Kmart and Target are both retail stores, which is reasonable. Walmart, tends to be light weight, less quality items for lower prices.
I've been in Kmart, the last few months. I was looking for a fairly specialized item. Found one close enough in Target, actually. One friend of mine loves the blue jeans that Kmart sells.
I noticed this comment by one analyst quoted in the article: The only reason why people buy at Kmart is because its close. No one would buy at Kmart if theyre closer to a Walmart or Target."
It brought to mind something I'd read about ten years ago, that WalMart's market research showed that something like one-third of the people shopping at WalMart drove past a Kmart to get there.
I haven't been inside a Kmart for years. There used to be one about five minutes from home, but it closed around 2002, and now I don't even know where the nearest one is.
On Dec 28, 10:54am, "Stormin Mormon"

Wow, I've never found ANYTHING to buy in a Target. I only go in there if I'm in too good of a mood and need to be disappointed.
Kmart has decent furniture, and they are the only ones that sell work pants that fit properly. Otherwise I would not go in there at all.
On 12/28/11 07:07 am, Doug Miller wrote:

There was a KMart not too far away from our former home, and we shopped there once or twice but quite because the experiences were so bad. Until two or three years ago there was a KMart not far from our present home, and we shopped there when they had something decent on sale, but my opinion of them plummeted even further when on one occasion I tried to exit through the garden section (which would have brought me closer to where I had parked my car) and found that despite the illuminated Exit sign the doors were locked -- probably illegal.
Sears was one of the anchor stores in our local shopping mall, but it closed maybe five years ago. There is now a small Sears dealer store not too far away, and we've bought sale items there.
Perce
For a trip down memory lane into the long gone days of yesteryear, may I take this opportunity to remind you all of: (among many others)
Korvettes Ames Caldor Woolworth Gimbels Murphy's Mart (GC Murphy) Zayre's and of course, Montgomery Wards!

On Dec 28, 6:07pm, snipped-for-privacy@sdf.lNoOnSePsAtMar.org (Larry W) wrote:

Also Ben Franklin. E.J. Korvettes (Eight Jewish Korean Vets...this is NOT a tasteless joke!)
On Thu, 29 Dec 2011 04:42:02 -0800 (PST), Bob_Villa

My first credit card [1970] was Bradleys. Bought a $59 12" B&W TV and stretched the payments over a year to establish credit.
Then there was the Two Guys. . . . I guess you could build a whole website on the ones that came and went in the 60's-- http://www.wtv-zone.com/dpjohnson/60sdiscountstores/index.html
When you look at how many have come and gone since Kmart began [essentially1912 or so as Kresge's], they are doing pretty well.
Jim

Kmart/Sears is on the edge...as they have been many times!
On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 05:34:55 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

Not at all the same, but I had an "odd" incident in a Walmart in Florida maybe 3 years ago. Some town near the west coast by the Crystal river. Went to the sports department to get a couple fishing licenses and the guy told me he had to boot the computer and it would take at least half an hour to get up and on-line. I had people waiting in the car so I said "no thanks." Looked like the mid-tower he back there was old as the hills. Maybe an IBM PS1 with a 486 CPU like I had in 1993. Called the state game department on the cell and got my license confirmation number using a CC. Cost a couple bucks more. Surprised me because Walmart runs a slick operation. This year I picked up a cheap Shakespeare spinning rod for 15 bucks at a Walmart in Punta Gorda. About the third cast with a 3 ounce bottom rig it snapped about 6 inches from the tip. It wasn't a smooth cast, but the rod was defective. Never saw anything like that. Some how our schedule didn't get us back to Walmart so I tossed the rod in the trash. Shakespeare and many other former "American" brands are now made in China. That's why the rod was 15 bucks, and it showed. I'll stay with Ugly Stiks from now on. Still Shakespeare, but never had one break on me unless I slammed the trunk lid on it.
--Vic

Wasn't very deep, but the tide was running pretty strong. Fishing for anything that likes shrimp, but I caught a tarpon there once. But not on shrimp. Hoping for grouper or nice snapper. Wasn't using shrimp on that line though. Frozen cigar minnow. So whatever liked dead cigar minnow. And that was nothing at all. But the main reason I had the 3 on there was to toss it far out. You know, it's always better to fish where you can't get to. Especially when they aren't biting where you are. Same as "Man, I wish I could get over to that shore under those overhanging branches. Bet that's where they are." BTW, saying it wasn't a smooth cast might be too kind. Had something behind me and I jerked the hell out of it. Still shouldn't have snapped the rod. I've jerked many much harder and never had them snap. --Vic

The SnapOn Warranty... True story: in many years turning wrenches, just like other pros I would always shop the tool trucks that stopped by. This gives one an eclectic collection of brands and an appreciation of warranty policies. When I savaged a Philips screw driver one day trying to remove a rusty brake disc, I tossed it on the toolbox side tray where our SnapOn rep noticed it a few days later and volunteered to replace the blade. Nice. Fast forward, and the screwdriver gets in trouble somehow (don't remember). Same scenario, SnapOn rep gives me a lot of friendly grief about tool care and then departs for the truck, coming back in a few minutes with a new handle. Tried to pay the guy (after all its a complete new tool now) and he simply says, "We warranty the whole tool." FWIW, the tool is still functional and useful.
Joe