Sears, I'll miss the tools

Page 1 of 4
I'm reading bad news about Sears/KMart. If Sears goes tits up, I hope they hand off the Craftsman line. I always had good luck with their hand tools.

You might want to RE-READ the story!
"Sears, which has more than 4,000 full-line and specialty retail stores"...
"said yesterday that it will close 100 to 120 Sears and Kmart stores"
http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/business/2011/12/28/sears-kmart-to-shut-stores-as-sales-fall.html

sears sold off craftsman tools and most other assets years ago... thats why craftsman tools are available in all sorts of stores today.
sears sold off craftsman, were trying to sell off the kenmore brand, coldwell banker real estate, allstate insurance, their fiancial services / credit card unit and others.
this created lots of $$ for shareholders.......
the downside, these assets kept the retailer afloat when business would get bad for sears retail.
rumor has it sears will go bankrupt soon, as the article describes they were borrowing money over christmas, normally a cash cow time of year.
sears lost me as a customer years ago. intrusive attempts to push credit cards at the registers without enough help to check out customers. long lines formed. i once left a bunch of expensive tools at a backed up register, and told a store manager here these are yours ..... i went to the nearby home depot and bought essentially the same tools for much less...... is sears a retailer or a credit card provider pick ONE
in fixing up my moms home for sale i had her sears furnace with air serviced. they charged 2 travel charges for the same tech to swap tool kits at his truck.
its ripoffs like this that drove me away from sears. they dropped the satisfaction guaranteed or your money back policy too.
sears where america no longer shops at.....

Not exacly
Craftsman is a line of tools and lawn and garden equipment controlled by Sears Holdings Corporation; the brand is owned by KCD IP, LLC, a special purpose entity created by Sears Holdings forsecuritization purposes.[1]
The tools are sold in Sears, Kmart, and Orchard Supply Hardware stores (all three owned by Sears Holdings), as well as Fastenal,[2] US military Army and Air Force Exchange Service stores, andAce Hardware.[3][4]
The Craftsman Industrial line is sold by industrial supplier W. W. Grainger[5].

Luck is exactly what you've had. Lucky they didn't break on you when you needed them the most. I quit buying Craftsman tools 40 yrs when I became a professional mechanic and the closest Sears was 90 miles away. They're junk.
nb
--
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Bullshit. I used them for years as a professional mechanic. My son is professional mechanic and uses them. And he uses Mac, Snap-on and Harbor Freight tools too. A wrench is a wrench, a chisel a chisel. If it fits it fits. If it cuts it cuts. If the forging and heat treating is right the only other decision is price. Snap-on and Mac vendors are just tolerated by most mechanics become they come to you, and they have some "unique" tools. Otherwise brand name is what I already said. Bullshit.
--Vic

professional mechanic in 1969 and I still have most of them. The ones I don't still have were lost, not broken. I have not replaced 10% of that set in over 40 years. A classmate bought Snap-On tools at the same time - paid 5 times as much for them, and replaced half within the first 2 years. Darn good thing the truck came around every 2 weeks, because he NEEDED it. The Snappies are nicer looking, a bit nicer feeling, and have a bit more "panache", for sure - but the Craftsman stuff was definitely a lot more value for the money.
Do you think 1969 tools may be different quality than 2011 tools? I do!
And I'll dissagree. I bought Craftsman tools when I started as a professional mechanic in 1969 and I still have most of them. The ones I don't still have were lost, not broken. I have not replaced 10% of that set in over 40 years. A classmate bought Snap-On tools at the same time - paid 5 times as much for them, and replaced half within the first 2 years. Darn good thing the truck came around every 2 weeks, because he NEEDED it. The Snappies are nicer looking, a bit nicer feeling, and have a bit more "panache", for sure - but the Craftsman stuff was definitely a lot more value for the money.

K-Mart did not allow Salvation Army kettle volunteers outside their stores. Walmart not only allowed Salvation Army solicitations, but tasked their employees to ring the bell if not enough SA folks were available.
People notice things like that.
On 12/28/2011 8:47 AM, HeyBub wrote:

Yeah, they do. We had a Salvation Army kettle volunteer who was berating people who walked past without throwing money in his kettle. That made the local news after customers complained.

No, they don't.
If that's what you claim as the reason for Kmart's decline, you have a seriously warped view of the world.
If you walk in a Walmart, it's bright, clean, modern. Merchandise stacked to the ceiling. With the exception of inner-city stores, the staff at the checkout are clean, cheery, efficient, and helpful.
Go in a Kmart, and step back in time to 1982. Most of them haven't been cleaned since 1982 either. Half the checkout staff appear to have eaten large quantities of lead paint as children. They're slow, untrained, crotchety, and clearly do NOT want to be there.
I don't know how they whip Walmart employees into feeling good and acting positively for such a low-paying job. Maybe they're just selective about who they hire, and Kmart simply can't find anyone to work for them, so they hire anyone who can stagger through the front door.
On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 08:22:27 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote Re Re: Sears, I'll miss the tools:

This explains it http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Wal-Mart_The_High_Cost_of_Low_Price/70040809?trkid#61637

<stuff snipped>

When they switched over from analog to digital CCTV for in-store monitoring I got some great deals on Panasonic high-speed PTZ cams and 16CH multiplexers for $30 to $50 each at auction.
As I am sure you know, they have virtually all critical area under the watchful eyes of high-res cameras with pretty impressive zoom ranges. And they actually have people monitoring the cameras, unlike other outfits. That' OK with me. The more shoplifters they catch, the less they losses that the customer invariably ends up paying.
What impressed me most is how well the trash bins and the loading docks are covered. Shoplifting hurts, but employee theft can soon reach very high dollars levels. A typical inside job consist of an employee who's about to quit tries pushing a pallet of DVR's or other expensive stuff into the trash to collect later that night (on his way out of town). Nine times out of ten they'll be waiting for them because all that stuff is RFID tagged and silently alerts security when a tagged item goes out in the trash. From what I was told, they like making an example of those kinds of thieves to the other employees, some of whom were probably hatching their own schemes. I read somewhere that this year, gangs of shoplifters from other countries descended on US shopping malls to execute highly organized shoplifting and "fake return" scams.
-- Bobby G.
On 12/29/2011 3:29 AM, Robert Green wrote:

I guy I work with is a big Bama football fan and on a service call in one of the Walmart stores, tried on a Bama ball cap and forgot he had it on. He got a call from our corporate contract provider informing him to return to the store to pay for his cap. ^_^
TDD

Yeah, I always notice them - if they're there. If they ain't there, I don't notice them.
--Vic
HeyBub wrote:

Indeed we do, and I avoid doing business with places that allow cults to operate on their property and harass their customers. BTW, for anyone who thinks the SA is not a cult, do a bit of research and report back.
Please define "cult" for me.
Indeed we do, and I avoid doing business with places that allow cults to operate on their property and harass their customers. BTW, for anyone who thinks the SA is not a cult, do a bit of research and report back.
On 12/28/2011 8:28 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Isn't that the past tense of going through and throwing out the too small and bad fish, shrimp or clams. ^_^
TDD
On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 23:38:26 -0600, The Daring Dufas

On 12/29/2011 6:58 AM, joevan wrote:

I was thinking of Hillbilly English. ^_^
TDD