Running AC and cable tv (coax) in exterior walls

Page 2 of 2

Yes I meant A.C. power. The builder was an idiot in some ways but luckly he was not that bad.
Okay, I guess I should post more details.
The wall is 20' long and 16' high at the highest point. I have no access from below. I have limited to no access from above. I was hoping to notch the studs 3/4"X3/4". I would need to notch at least 5 studs. The wall is insulated so center drilling would be a lot of work. The doors open to an covered porch. The TV is only used at night so glare is not an issue. Ther are no curtains.
As one poster mentioned, I am concerned that watching an TV that is 4 feet above eye level could be uncomfortable. The TV mount can tilt down about 10 degrees which could help. My other option is to mount the TV in the corner. Not sure watching the TV on an angle would be thta much better.
noname87 wrote:

Wood siding, stone, or what? Any way to painlessly open the wall from that side, like popping off a sheet of siding? Or is there trim out there, where another band of trim at the line of the top of the door would not look out of place? Or does the porch ceiling not extend high enough above the top of the door opening to do you any good? Wiring through the wall may be a viable solution, if you have a way to get the coax and power to the porch ceiling area. Will you have any other devices in the room, like a DVD player, or is this TV slaved off a DVR downstairs?
At this point, pictures would help. A wide angle shot of the door from inside and outside, and close-up of the area above the door, from inside and outside. Can you upload somewhere and post links back here? If we can see it, some other ideas make occur to us.
--
aem sends...

I didn't assume there were AC ducts, only an AC somewhere where this route to the tv was also on the way to the AC.
AC cable confused me. I would have called it the electric cable.
Anyhow, with lower current, it's all the more likely he can run them together.
Okay, I guess I should post more details.
I was hoping to notch the studs roughly 3/4"X3/4". Just big enough for a a a 14/3 romax cable. The wall in question is 20' wide and 16" high at the highest point, If I notch the studs, I would have to notch 5 of them. I have no access from below. I have very limited to no access from above. I have not been yet figured out how the wall is built. The wall is insulated. Opening up the walls and center drilling will be a major job. Wider casing is an idea. Thew current molding is 4". The doors open to an covered porch (this is on the 2nd floor).
I am also concerned about how practical this is. Our bed does sit high. The center of the TV woud be about 4 feet above eye level. The mount I was planning on using can tilt 10 degrees down. My other option would be to mount it in the corner but then you are twisting the head to watch TV. However that be a better answer.

LCD and co-ax.
My first thought is that whatever solution you decide on (and there's some good ones here), it should be easily repeatable for when you decide that coax needs to replaced by an hdmi cable.
maybe consider a pvc run once you get the wall opened up? It would make it easier to push the next cable through.
On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 15:13:04 -0700 (PDT), noname87

So you're going to rip your whole house apart to install a few wires? Sounds like a lot of work and a huge mess. Why not just staple the cable to the sheetrock and be done with it. You can paint it to match the wall color if you like.
If you really want to get fancy, get wiremold. It attaches to the wall and gives a trimmed look. Put it in corners and you will hardly notice it, and around the doors, tuck it against the door casings and paint it to match the colour of the wood casing. As far as the coax, staple it along th baseboards. If there is a basement under the floor, run the coax in the basement and just drill a 3/8" hole where you need the coax to go to a tv. Also, if there is a basement, you can likely run the AC cables from the basement too and do not need to remove any walls.
I never understood why anyone would rip apart their whole house just to hide a few wires. All the patching in the sheetrock will be uglier than the wires, unless you;re a real professional at mudding sheetrock joints.