Coax cable

I'm replacing the old coax to my main TV set as there's definately a fault in it somewhere. So I've decided to use sattelite cable as its a lot less lossy.

The run is only about 20 metres, so will standard RG6 satelitte cable be fine for this, or would anyone recommend getting something a bit more heavy duty like CT100?

Reason I ask is the RG6 (the cheap stuff you get in DIY shops) isn;t as dear and don;t want to splash out on the heavier duty cable if it can be avoided.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Simon (Dark Angel)

This tells you chapter and verse.

Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

Simon (Dark Angel) submitted this idea :

The cable as sold for satellites is the standard these days for both TV and Sat frequencies, along with the use of F type connectors.

It is not so much heavy duty as lower loss and better screened.

The RG6 might well work, but has less immunity to impulse noise like your microwave starting and thermostats switching. This is no more important due to the change over to digital.

I originally wired an outlet to almost every room in the house with RG6, before CT100 became available. Last week I replaced the RG6 down-lead to the distribution unit with CT100. As and when, I will eventually replace all of the RG6 with CT100 simply for its better immunity.

I don't usually buy from DIY shops - I paid £18 for a full drum of CT100 from an electrical wholesaler.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Was that a 50m drum or 100m drum?

Reply to
Simon (Dark Angel)

Simon (Dark Angel) explained :

[Walks out to workshop in the rain...]

It doesn't say, but my guess would be 100m because I have used about

20m from it and it still looks very full.
Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Next question, which electrical wholesalers did you aquire it from?

If its a national chain, I'm hoping they've probably got a branch near me.

Reply to
Simon (Dark Angel)

Try these guys:

Cod Roe

Simon (Dark Angel) was thinking very hard :

WF, but I think most of them will keep it in stock.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Ebay - 5829397879

Reply to
Fu Manchu

I use this for both terrestrial and satellite. The cables terminate on DIY faceplates made using dummy faceplates, F Barrels, and F elbows.

Reply to
Michael Chare