RotoZip

Hi All,
Is RotoZip a good tool worth getting?
Home Depot is having a sale on Model "Revolution" for $99.00 July special from $159.00. What do you think?
If you have to ask, I think not.
If you do a lot of drywall work then I expect you already have one.
They do some things well or very well. The advertising people however like to over do it.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

The RotoZip came up in a recent rec.woodworking "tools I'm sorry I bought" poll. A router or Dremel tool with a router base can do pretty much all that RotoZip can do, plus the actual stuff each was designed for.
Try Googling.
Barry
I agree in general. If you don't have it, you don't need it. However, Harbor Freight has one for about $20. It works like a rotozip, will last quite a while, is a lot tougher than a dremel, which has to be the flimsiest thing ever made, though it won't go everywhere a dremel will. I have both, and I would not want to live without the dremel tool. But it is wearing out.
For $20, you can't really go wrong.
in message

Jim Mc Namara wrote:

They're both crap. Professional drywallers wouldn't be caught dead with either. But then how would you know that jaime'.

And I believe you should have stayed out of a usenet help forum. A yahoo chat group suits your bullshit better.
As others have said, it's a good tool if you need it. I think much of the RotoZip design is in the bit. The RotoZip tool itself is like a Dremel tool on steroids. It has a lot more power. I also have a Dremel and a Ryobi clone. I like the Dremel because it has a much higher speed (than the Ryobi), however, for power and torque, the Ryobi beats the Dremel easily. BTW, older Dremels did have more torque, but the newer ones are basically built poorly and cheap. When my old Dremel broke, I couldn't even get the parts to fix it directly from Dremel so I took their offer for a cheaper price on a new Dremel; I was disappointed. Back to RotoZip (sorry for the Dremel/Ryobi rambling), it can cut in places where you can't get other saws, tools, etc. BTW, RotoZip also works very good to cut plexiglass.
pkmicro wrote:

Which is why if you already have a Dremel and a router, you don't need a RotoZip. <G>
There are good routers out there right now, like the Porter Cable 690 and Bosch 1617 for about $120. They will do everything a RotoZip can, in addition to everything a fixed speed router will do.
I've had great success with RotoZip bits in routers (1/4" bits) and Dremels (1/8" bits).
Barry
I decided the rotozip was pretty cheasy, but I still needed a cutout tool for drywall and other use. I bought the Dewalt and am very happy with it. It appears to be more well-made than my friends rotozip and is more powerful as well. I agree with another poster that the secret is in the blades. I buy rotozip blades and they work great. I have found many uses for my Dewalt where a router would be too bulky. I don't have a dremel tool, but I don't do much fine work. I use a die grinder intsead.
BTW, the angle grinder attachment for the rotozip is even more cheasy. It doesn't even come close to the real thing.
Rotozip has great marketing though!
Cheers--JLD
You would be a lot further ahead to buy the DeWalt at a acommercial drywall house. Here, it is about $65.00.
--

Keep the whole world singing. . .
Dan G

(remove the 7)