Rethinking "Made in China"

Friend of mine had a 750IL (yeah, the james bond one). The interior pretty much disintegrated; many of the leds on the dash died, to the point where you could no longer read the odometer. The passenger side front door window broke every time the door was closed hard. He went through at least three radios. 12 cylinders to service. Never again, he said.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

I inherited it!

To be honest, I'd rather have my father back.

Reply to
salty

As long as we're bragging, my 1970 Ford Custom got 9mph.

'Course it had a police interceptor engine, a calibrated speedometer up to

140, an 8-quart crankcase, and, believe it or not, a DELCO alternator.
Reply to
HeyBub

What good's a speedo up to 140 if it won't go beyond 10mph? ;)

Reply to
Jules

Mine sure doesn't. There is a big change in the shower handle position between summer and winter. When I lived in VT we were lucky it came out liquid in the winter. ;-) The frost line often went down

7' and not all water lines did. Since we had a domestic hot water coil in the boiler, the hot water temperature varied quite a lot too.
Reply to
krw

I used to wash my slant sixes in the carwash -engiine running or engine off, and just hose the entire engine down, and they would ALWAYS either stay running or restart without problems.

I used good wires (Silver Beauty MSW) and premium caps.

Reply to
clare

The ones that burned ballast resistors were the early electronics - dual ballast units.

Reply to
clare

Quaker state and Pennzoil are still made from parrafin base stock I believe. Perhaps not exclusively, but Pensylvania crude is parrafin.

Reply to
clare

Some of the best cars I ever owned were early Mopars. I've owned 53,

57, 63, 69, 74, 76, 85, 88, and now a 2002.

The 69 was likely the best.

The 63 was a 170 slant six automatic Valiant done to the nines - went like stink, idled poorly, and liked it's gas. The 69 was a 225 automatic, not as highly tuned. Not as fast, and not as thirsty.

The '74 was also a 225 automatic, basically stock - a 25mpg highway car.

The 76 was a 318 Ramcharger - need I say more?? The 85 was a 2.6 Mitsu that I rebuilt - engine was still running 8 years later (in another car).

The 88 was a 3.0 Mitsu - it had 3 sets of heads over it's 240,000km lifespan before I sold it - still running and looking fantastic at 18 years of age.

The 2002 is a PT Cruiser.

The 57 was a 261 Flathead 6 in a Fargo Pickup. The 53 was a 241 Red Ram Hemi in a Coronet Sierra 2 door wagon - sure wish I still had that one!!!!!

Reply to
clare

Yup - Transporter.

Reply to
clare

The "Fifth Avenue" was a Chrysler. Buick's was the "Park Avenue"

Reply to
clare

The record for Tacicab service was a 1963 Plymouth.Fury owned and driven by Joseph Vaillancourt of Montreal Canada with 1,621,591 miles on the clock when Joe and the cab retired a couple years ago.. I believe that is a record for the highest number of miles on a car in North America.

Reply to
clare

He likely knows it is rare and is asking too much. They had the gutless little Typhoon F-Head 4 cyl in them.

Reply to
clare

They were available with 4 wheel drive. I know a guy used to try to plow snow with one. 6 foot blade, and still not enough power. Lots of traction though- - - .

Reply to
clare

A real glutton for punishment I see.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

FoMoCo wasn't too shabby in the way they cleaned up Jaguar.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

They really only cracked if they were overtorqued. Usually started with a loose manifold and a burned gasket - so it was tighteded trying to fix the gasket leak - which then cracked the manifold.. I know - I replaced lots of them back then. Including ONE of my own.

But it only downshifted into second. To get it into low required hitting the brakes and the accellerator to get the driveshaft speed down (by sliding the rear wheels) and the throttle pressure up (by flooring the accellerator. With my 63 set up the way I had it (206RWHP) I could force it into low at about 58MPH, but no higher - and it would do 60 in 1st if I held it in.

The 727 was good for "fish-hooks" at about 20MPH on a 318 or 383. As foir the engine, it was USED as an industrial engine, but it was DESIGNED as an automotive powerplant - actually for the Valiant (first application of the slant six engine)

Reply to
clare

The points were on the opposite side of the engine from the exhaust, so exhaust burns were NOT a possibility unless you were an orangutan.

I always set the engine to #1 TDC and pulled the distributor to do points on my conventional ignition Slanties. On the 170 I had to - set them up on the distributor machine to make sure they didn't bounce or float at 6500RPM. Anything other than #1 TDC they were a royal pain to get properly retimed.

They did - actually quite a few companies - but You didn't see many - the warmup wirhout a heat rizer was pretty tricky in cold weather, and carb icing was a real problem with any humidity at all.

Ignition was never a problem if you used good wires and caps - mine would start with a garden hose running over the engine.

The manifolds generally cracked when they were overtorqued trying to stop a manifold gasket leak.

They would not shift into low above about 58MPH, and even then you needed to have your foot to the floor to do it.

The slant six was designed for the Valiant - and then used as an industrial engine, truck engine, and base engine on just about everything Chrysler built.

The dual pump automatics would take a real beating - but the "fish-hook" trick generally only worked at speeds under 30MPH (actually 20, IIRC) They would not engage reverse at higher speeds.

Reply to
clare

The edge of the rocker cover and the side of the cyl head. Or the oil filter.

I ALWAYS pulled the distributor to do points on Slant Sixes. ALWAYS set to #1 TDC first too. And I did a LOT of them.

My 170 always had the points set on a distributor machine to be sure there was no bounce or float at 6500 RPM - always used the Blue Streak High Performance points - the only kind that wouldn't either bounce, float, or break the spring. (206 RWHP through the push-button automatic at 6000 RPM ( 60+ in first, 90+ in second, and bury the speedo in third) It's the only car I've ever owned that I could redline in top gear.

Reply to
clare

That WAS a nasty job. Had to do it in a blizzard, in a shopping plaza parking lot on Christmas Eve, leaving the next day from Waterloo Ontario for Banff Alberta - 1969 Dart in 1971/72.

Reply to
clare