Replace Halogen Bulbs With LEDs?

Page 5 of 5
On Fri, 06 Dec 2013 21:15:21 -0500, Stormin Mormon

You really have a high opinion of yourself, Mormon.
On Fri, 06 Dec 2013 21:15:21 -0500, Stormin Mormon

He's been KFed here for over a year.

so you own stock in a construction company? or a private fire company?
On Fri, 06 Dec 2013 22:12:22 -0800, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"

More lies from Malformed. Who wudda guessed! <what a frappin' moron>

indeed you are. thank you for admitting it
On Mon, 06 Jan 2014 17:23:06 -0800, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"

Typical lefty, a lie mixed up with a IKWYABWAI. It is all you can do, Malformed.
On Thu, 05 Dec 2013 14:36:03 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@adi.com (Cindy Hamilton) wrote:

+1, except in certain circumstances. Tubes are great in workplaces. CFLs are bad anywhere (though sometimes a reasonable tradeoff).

Your problem is surges. 12 volt wiring sounds good, except how the 12 volts is down converted is another problem. Any electronics is likely to be zapped. Resistors are inefficient. I would think you may want to go a room at a time to see what works in the long run. Separate emergency lights for each room is another Thought.
Greg
On Wednesday, December 4, 2013 2:00:41 PM UTC-5, Gary wrote:

Like someone else said, I find it interesting that you say you have 85 recessed lights in one house. Must be one hell of a big house. In any case, I would not convert all of them to LED at once. What's the rush? I'd try converting to LEDs in one room and try them out. And why do you need an electrician? There are retrofit kits that fit the common recessed fixtures. Most of them are just a new light/trim piece with a wire that has a screw connector that goes into the existing bulb socket. You can buy them for $25 and put them in yourself. Buy one and see how you like the light. They come in different color ranges and you may need to find the color you like.
Theoretically LEDS pay for themselves because they last for a very long time. But CFLs were sold on that basis too and the experiences I had with them was that many didn't last long at all. When LED were $75, they only made sense for special applications. Now that they are down to $25, they are worth taking a look. One really nice feature is that for recessed lights with an attic, cathedral ceiling, etc above, there are airtight ones available, so there is no air leakage from the living space. And with a cathedral ceiling, there is room for insulation around and above them, so you don't have a square foot of uninsulated ceiling.