Replace halogen with led

I would like to replace a 50watt GU10 halogen light on a desk light with the equivalent led, or even a energy saving bulb.

If I was to get the led bulb would I need anything else for the light to work or even have to replace anything.

Reply to
Bob H

GU10s run straight from the mains, so there is no control gear or ballast to be incomparable with, so yes you can pop an LED in but you may struggle to find one with the same light output as the 50w halogen.

Likewise for a CFL, but they tend to be physically longer than a halogen so may look strange.

Reply to
Graham.

There are some nowadays. I looked on Amazon. "5watt LED"

Reply to
charles

Yes, I saw them myself and nearly ordered one, but delivery charges were a bit steep, so I din't.

Reply to
Bob H

I replaced 50W halogen GU10 with the following & they're fine.

£5.99 each, but free delivery if order total is £10

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

The problem is (passim) that even if the output is comparable, the diffusion can make it seem less powerful.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

A 5W LED might have the same or better output as a 50W incandescent but it will not be as bright as a 50W halogen. 7W is closer to the mark. Beam dispersion is also likely to be radically different.

LEDs also have a bad tendency to die prematurely when put into existing highly insulated halogen fittings with inadequate ventilation. Desk lamp might be OK but fully enclosed downlighters are a nightmare.

Reply to
Martin Brown