Replace Halogen Bulbs With LEDs?

In optics engineering magazines were numerous articles on overheating of both CFL and LED bulbs. Fixtures designed for incandescent bulbs do not ne ed same airflow. CFL bulb life expectancy tends to be shorter when the bul b is positioned so that electronics are above the glowing gas. LEDs radiat e their heat into a heatsink that is ineffective if airflow does not exist in the fixture. Both problems seriously diminish bulb life expectancy. A problem not discussed at the consumer level. Similar problems with sodium bulb orientation were not discussed at the consumer level decades previousl y.

LED bulbs (such as those that won the X-prize) need airflow over the heat sinke. LEDs at that wattage have heat problems not found in LEDs at lesser power levels.

Reply to
westom

w_tom obviously knows about as much about thermo as he does about lightning protection; a few buzzwords.

Reply to
krw

You really have a high opinion of yourself, Mormon.

Reply to
krw

You know, all my CFL hang down. Interesting.

Reply to
Todd

so you own stock in a construction company? or a private fire company?

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

ah, just like the fundie who gets pissed off when you don't agree with him...wait, that's you

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

e: > Then the typical LED recessed light that one buys should > have specs and install instructions that say airflow past > some heatsink is required. Yet there are plenty of them from > the major manufacturers where: ... In optics engineering magazines were numerous articles on overheating of both CFL and LED bulbs. Fixtures designed for incandescent bulbs do not need sam e airflow. CFL bulb life expectancy tends to be shorter when the bulb is po sitioned so that electronics are above the glowing gas. LEDs radiate their heat into a heatsink that is ineffective if airflow does not exist in the f ixture. Both problems seriously diminish bulb life expectancy. A problem no t discussed at the consumer level. Similar problems with sodium bulb orient ation were not discussed at the consumer level decades previously. LED bulb s (such as those that won the X-prize) need airflow over the heatsinke. LED s at that wattage have heat problems not found in LEDs at lesser power leve ls.

Then it should be easy to provide us with the spec sheet, the install instructions for the typical residential recessed LED lights, like the

50W equivalent ones the OP is talking about, where it talks about the requi red airflow and how to achieve it.

I've looked at a lot of them and again, they were rated for direct contact with insulation and many were ASTM certified airtight between the living space and attic. For those 50W equivalent, you're talking about a whopping

9 watts of heat.....

Can there be thermal problems with some because they are designed incorrect ly? Sure. But that doesn't equate into an airflow requirement, special install considerations for most of them. And again, if it's true, provide us with the spec sheet for a 50W recessed that says you have to provide airflow and how to achieve it.

Reply to
trader4

You *insist* on proving that I'm right about you lefties, Malforemed. All you lefties can do is lie and repeat lies.

Reply to
krw

More lies from Malformed. Who wudda guessed!

Reply to
krw

E suspect many of my LED failures are heat related as they are in eyeball bots in a high suspended ceiling (the 12 volt ones) and infaitly closely shrouded sockets on some of the 120 volt ones - although there most of the ones that have failed have free air access to the LED heat sinks. Suspecting it is the driver electronics failing, I have dissasembled a few and the LEDs themselves are, for the most part, still good. They fail in 3 ways - all LEDs dim or all Leds flashing on the 12 volts, and all LEDs flashing ,or dim with one out on the 120 volt. All dim or all flashing have generally been circuit failures, but several of the earlier 120s had LED element failures (dim with one element out, or totally dead) These have 3 or 4 3 watt Cree LEDs.

Reply to
clare

As did 90% of mine. Kinda hard to use a Par38 in any other situation. You'd think they'd be designed for that use. Where else do you see Par38 reflector bulbs other than in pot lights, mounted in ceilings???

Reply to
clare

He's been KFed here for over a year.

Reply to
clare

Hi Clare,

And most of my CFL's cool down enough to touch with my bare hands in a few minutes. Meaning they are not all that hot. Also meaning that the electronics must be the cheapest, crappiest parts they can find with no thought as to the environment they will be operating in. The only thought has to be the price charged.

-T

Reply to
Todd

Oh, good grief. Did you not take Thermodynamics at Cracker Jax-U? AGAIN, you confuse heat and temperature.

Economics, is obviously a foreign concept to you, too. Some "engineer". LOL!

Reply to
krw

Damn would you take your meds. You go off occasionaly then you go back to normal... Obviously something is bothering you.. So take care of it, or just shut up. Not everyone has your point of view, and if they don't you just blast them.

Reply to
woodchucker

Like I said - cheap-assed chinease crap. Even with North American ans European names.

Reply to
clare

Hi Clare,

I do believe the official term for that is 3C (Cheap Chinese Crap).

But don't get down too hard on the Chinese. I worked for a guy that imported from China. He spent a lot of time over there. He told me that they would show him what he asked for and a good quality version too. His company always went with the cheapest, frustrating the hell out of the Chinese. So, the moral of the story is that

3C goods are what the American buyer specified. I would go as far as positing that it is because the American public has changed from wanting quality to wanting it cheap.

The anger over the low quality will be long forgotten over the joy of the low price. :'(

I personally would rather pay double and have something last ten times as long, but I am in the minority.

-T

Reply to
Todd

Well. ou are not alone - there are at least 2 of us.

Now I DID buy a Champion Generator instead of a Honda or Yamaha - Will MABEE use it once every year or so - but I bought a Yamaha Snow Blower instead of an MTD -some years it'll be used 20 times or more, others like last year, 2 or 3 times.

Most of my power tools are quality brand name older pieces I bought used and slightly damaged - fixed them up and noe I have high quality tools at below 3C prices.

I used to work for a company that imported Chinese computer parts. First shipment almost always exceded specifications, but by the third shipment all bets were off - and we paid to have a custom case designed - paid for the dies and injection moulding dies for the plastiv fronts - and our case was for sale in "asian sources" computer magazine for half what we were paying for them before we got our first shipment..

Only way to source from China is to spread the order around. Get some parts made from one source, and others from another source - none of the parts being of any use to anyone without the rest. Then you have "final assembly in the USA using globally supplied components" and no piracy.

Reply to
clare

Hi Clare,

I have heard that story several other places too. It is sad they have so little honor.

The importer I told you of said that the cost of labor in China and the cost to ship here is now break even, so we should be seeing manufacturing start coming back on shore, Hopefully soon!

-T

Reply to
Todd

Perhaps that's why Democrats are doing their best to turn The United States into a third world country? After the destruction and loss of life, the country can rebuilt into a prosperous powerhouse until the citizenry becomes fat and happy, too complacent to care what's going on then the cycle will start all over again. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas