removing formica backsplash

I am preparing to remove my existing kitchen counters, which are held by screws from below. I have tiles right above, which I intend to keep. The tiles, however, would prevent me from lifting backsplash and would allow it to only be pulled/pried away from the wall together with the counters.
I hope that once the sink and the cooktop are out, I can just pull out the counters with the backslash. But what are the chances that the backslash is glued to the back wall and how to remove it in that case without damaging the tiles above?
Thanks, folks.
Dmitri
Score a good solid line above the back splash so if it does start peeling the drywall it won't peel off your tile.
Good idea. I planned to use my rotary tool with a grout remover bit to remove the grout between the backsplash and the bottom tiles. If I set the bit for a deeper cut, it should achieve that.
Dmitri

the

I removed my formica counter recently. Mine was 3 sections: two 13-inch sections, and one "main" 8-foot counter. I played with the smaller section first, and found that when I lifted the counter, it broke at the corner and left the backsplash on the wall (yes, glued). So I had to pry out that section of backsplashove. On the larger section, though, the backsplash didn't break away - it just came with the counter.
So I have two thoughts for you: first, along with scoring or grout-sawing above the backsplash, I'd try to saw or break the joint between the counter and backsplash, to make sure it didn't try to come up with the counter in the first place. Then, once you're left with just a backsplash, you should have enough room (once the bottom line of grout is gone) to pry it just a bit away from the wall to break the glue; then hammer downwards on it. Alternately, go from the side.
JSH