3-way switch problem

I have an often-used basement light operated from two switches. After several years the light will not turn on without switching it off and on rapidly several times. Strangely if I slightly touch one of the florescent tubes it will light. Changing the lights was not a fix. I replaced both switches (the illuminated type) and it worked for a week or two. I again replaced both switches and it too failed after a short time. Anyone ever have this problem?

Reply to
Lidia

You need new ballasts. May be cheaper just to buy the whole light fixture......

Reply to
Red Neckerson

Thank you, I never considered the ballast. I'll pick up a new fixture tomorrow. Lidia

Reply to
Lidia