Laying Tile on a Formica Backsplash

I want to lay 6"sq ceramic tile on our Formica backsplash. I will be using Mapie Mastic to lay the tile but am wondering if the Formica needs some sort of preparation or not. To me, it would seem that the Formica would be too slick and not offer a good surface (as is) for mastic to adhere to. BTW, removing the Formica is NOT an option according to the Boss Wife!

P.S. Also the option offered in another list of replacing the Boss Wife is not an option either (grin).

Regards, NIK

Reply to
health_wellness

Rough it up will 80 grit sandpaper or an angle grinder. If the laminate is not secure it may eventually pull away from the wall. Are you covering ALL the laminate?

Reply to
Martik

Is that all it would take, just a liittle roughing up?

I'm just doing 2 1/2 rows (15") right above the counter top. The formica goes up twice that far thus the reason for not removing the formica. It seems to be well glued to the wall. I tried pulling it at the edge and it seems hard fast. With the tile also having 6 receptical covers and 2 electrical switch covers pulling the tile field and the formica against the wall, I don't think it will come undone.

Should this 80 grit sanding be done with a sander or is all that is needed is a light hand sanding?

Regards, NIK

Reply to
health_wellness

You want to scratch the surface to give the mastic something to bite into, maybe drill some 1/8" holes. Glue one tile down and test the strength when it dries.

Reply to
Martik

Sanding should be sufficient. hand sanding if you feel fit, otherwise a sander would be OK. looks are not important but don't get carried away and sand the area not to be tiled. Just need to break the gloss, might not even be necessary with a good mastic. Sanding will get any remaining grease and dirt so its worth it from that standpoint.

If the laminate were weak I might suggest some drywall screws sunk flush to hold it on but it sounds unnecessary in your case where the laminate is secure, the substrate is solid and the tile is not very heavy.

Reply to
pipedown