removing old countertop backsplash

I think I can manage replacing my worn kitchen countertops - the countertops should come off of the underlying cabinets, remove some screws maybe - but I'm wondering if there are any tricks to getting the backsplash removed from the wall without tearing away the underlying wallboard - I'm assuming that the backsplash is liquid-nailed to the wallboard - any suggestions? Thanks!

Reply to
Texas Yankee

Sometimes the drywall paper peels off with the b/s if it's glued. Fact of life. Can't be helped. Depending upon what you're going back with for a splash will determine if you need to replace the drywall.

Reply to
G Henslee

Thanks - I'll probably replace the existing backsplash with something very similar - same size, same laminate material - assuming that the drywall paper peels off when I remove the old backsplash, what type of prep do I have to do before putting up the new laminate backsplash? If the wallboard comes off in chunks with the old laminate backsplash, then do I need to piece in replacement wallboard before putting up the new backsplash? Thanks again!

Reply to
Texas Yankee

If it's just some of the paper that comes off I wouldn't sweat it. Install the new splash over it, no harm no foul. But it would be best to replace the drywall if it's broken.

Reply to
G Henslee

Score the paper above the present backsplash so the paper doesn't rip up the wall. Then caulk this area when the new spalsh is in place. Rich

Reply to
Rich

Damm, you guys are good! THANKS!!

Reply to