Remodeling upstairs condo, power out downstairs condo

Arggggghhhhh! New owner of condo above ours has gutted his kitchen and is putting down Pergo-type flooring in other rooms. We began having trouble with one or another electrical circuits going out in our condo whilst he worked upstairs. The first time, he was hammering almost above where I was sitting and at the same moment, power went out in our dining room and adjoining office area. Went out and reset the breaker, aok. Then, twice, the elec. to our two baths and small hallway went out. I didn't notice when it happened, as I don't use those lights during the day. We reset the breaker once, and aok, but reset the breaker next time and now the power won't come on to the baths and hallway. The guy wasn't truthful, I believe, when he told me he was working in a different area the first time it happened. I haven't seen his condo, but hubby said kitchen is gutted to the studs with wires hanging all over. He allegedly has an electrician. His unit is same layout as ours, but entirely separate breaker panels. I assume much of our wiring would be beneath his floor.
I have called the city building dept, no response yet, and fire insp., not their job. I think he must have put a nail through a wire, but I don't know electricity or breaker panels or ohms or watts. Can the vibration from his work wiggle something loose in the main panel? Any other ideas? My dryer is broken, waiting for a part, and I can't handle this much stress all at once :o)
Norminn wrote:

Vibration isn't likely to 'wiggle' anything loose, but I agree that it's entirely possible he's put a nail through a wire belonging to you. If your unit is partly sub-grade probably most of the horizontal runs of your wiring goes through your ceiling/his floor.
Did he run his proposed renovations past your strata council? Generally that's pretty much a requirement. If not, go to your strata council and explain what's happening. I'm also pretty sure he needs permits from the city to be doing work or having work done, and things need to be inspected afterward. This character may be trying to slide his renovations in 'under the radar'.
Yours aye, W. Underhill
--
"Take sides! Always take sides! You may sometimes be wrong - but the man
who refuses to take sides must *always* be wrong! Heaven save us from
Norminn wrote:

Hi, Talk to condo manager or raise the issue with condo board.
Tony Hwang wrote:

We have only 8 units in our condo. Two owned by lush deadbeats, father and son. Son is months behind on monthly assessment and hasn't begun to pay a $2200 special assessment. Condo pres. is best buddies with them. Did I mention the father and son are both on the board? The father had a million-dollar sailboat, lives here part-time....home in the Bahamas. Unfortunately, he appears to be in good health. A lien? Not much good, unless one of them croaks. One unit owner lives in England, one in Jersey. The neighbor who wrecked my wiring told me he has a likely buyer...owned his unit since March.
Norminn wrote:

Well, the electricians just left. It's Friday. They knew immediately what the problem was......nails through the pipe and wire, multiple times through one length of wire. Wires burned through entirely. Might be back tomorrow - overtime, have to check with the office. They can't get wires fed through the pipe, so may have to replace it. It would be easier to tear out my flawless ceiling than to tear up my idiot neighbor's floor........The electrician said there had to have been sparks when the neighbor hit the nails. I have the building department coming back Monday because the neighbor told him a different story than he told me about doing structural work. I don't like idiots or liars. At least the part for my dryer is in....can't wait 'til Monday.
Why are all the idiots on the planet moving into my condo?
And thanks to all who offered assistance. I appreciate it.
clipped

This is kind of like talking to myself, but here goes....the first electrician couldn't get back until tomorrow. Probably going slow because they expected a big fight over who pays and how to access the wiring. Electrician #2 came today. Had to take up a small portion of flooring in the upstairs unit being remodeled. Said there were many nails through the pipe carrying the wiring. Pipe just beneath the subfloor, too close. Wiring conduit has to cross two concrete beams, so that is probably why conduit is so close to the floor. Got their fish tape stuck on nails, but all now is good downstairs :o) This is an example of why it is a good reason for DIYers not get carried away with remodeling in a condo - the condo. assn. owns the wiring and should have made the repairs. In our condo, the board is more likely to be involved in matters none of their business.

they are lucky it doidnt cause a fire.......
clipped

Electrician said it would be a hazard if we had....something-trex? Forget the term :o) I sure don't know why the difference.