REGISTRY CLEANER

Page 1 of 4
You must be insane! Use CCleaner or Jv16
Add pictures here
✖
On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 11:51:01 -0800 (PST), Bob Villa

Why would you or anyone use a registry cleaner?
There are no proven facts that cleaning the registry makes a system run faster.
Add pictures here
✖
Oren wrote:

On the other hand, it is proven that you can totally FUBAR a system by running useless system "tools" like a registry cleaner.
Cleaning out cookies, browser add-ons, adware, and defragging a HDD are about the only preventive mainenance a PC requires, and will solve 95% of slow computer related problems.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Jon
Add pictures here
✖
On Nov 13, 4:31 pm, "Jon Danniken"

Add in disabling unnecessary services and I'll agree with you. If someone's running Vista, Vista Services Optimizer works well. It tells you what all of the arcane services are, and makes recommendations based on your intended use. Preston Gralla recommended it, it's easy to use, reversible and it's freeware.
✖
On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 13:42:39 -0800 (PST), RicodJour

Here is some great information on services.
www.BlackViper.com: Home Page
Popular Content Windows Services ~ Includes complete explanations of each service and advice on which services you can safely disable.
http://www.blackviper.com /
I trust this information from this kid.
Add pictures here
✖

Thanks. Looks like a good site to know about.
✖
On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 13:31:03 -0800, "Jon Danniken"

Folks here should check their port security.
At this site, visit the Hot Spots. Click
[,,,] "ShieldsUP! 87,715,939 system tests The Internet's quickest, most popular, reliable and trusted, free Internet security checkup and information service. And now in its Port Authority Edition, it's also the most powerful and complete. Check your system here, and begin learning about using the Internet safely.
Add pictures here
✖

Forgot to paste the link:
https://www.grc.com/default.htm
[...]
"Your system has achieved a perfect "TruStealth" rating. Not a single packet — solicited or otherwise — was received from your system as a result of our security probing tests. Your system ignored and refused to reply to repeated Pings (ICMP Echo Requests). From the standpoint of the passing probes of any hacker, this machine does not exist on the Internet. Some questionable personal security systems expose their users by attempting to "counter-probe the prober", thus revealing themselves. But your system wisely remained silent in every way. Very nice."
Add pictures here
✖

Mr. Gibson is a con man...you can use it as a reference...but that's about it. It's funny, this guy (OP) writes 3 ridiculous pages and you respond to my post. If someone "wants" a registry cleaner the 2 I mentioned Have .1% chance of causing a problem with the default settings. As for stopping "Services" I will agree with you, of course.
Add pictures here
✖
On 11/14/2010 9:26 AM, Bob Villa wrote:

I didn't bother to even look at his stuff. I seldom respond to the first post on the off chance there's some crap involved. Let somebody else take the chance opening it or going there first.
But in his case, I have no interest in a registry cleaner as I have no registry problems at the moment. I merely pointed out why somebody might have a legitimate need or use for one.
I'll take your word for it that the OP is a con man. Certainly he's a spammer if nothing else.
Jay
Add pictures here
✖
On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 06:26:43 -0800 (PST), Bob Villa

Enlighten us, please. Were you conned or something? I've used his port testing site for year and years. (grc.com)

I missed the original posting I presume. Or the Internet burped. Not sure but I did miss the pages you speak about.

Build it they will come.
Add pictures here
✖

Gibson designs his software in a more benign way than the people who designed the malware that wants you to purchase their software after they have infected your PC with it. After using CCleaner for many years now...and having it "fix" the registry. It has not messed up mine nor any other PCs I have worked on.
Add pictures here
✖

== I don't "push" any registry cleaner but I have used these so-called cleaners for nearly thirty years. The only one I had problems with was the old cleaner that Microsoft provided way back in Windows 98 days. They didn't recommend it but made it available for those who wanted to experiment. I re-installed Win 98 a number of times after screw-ups but that was no big deal. CCleaner is fairly innocuous but the registry cleaner part should be used with discretion...I'm pretty careful about deleting what it wants to delete.
==
Add pictures here
✖

Thirty years? What "registries" were there in 1980 that needed cleaning? Bridal?

Add pictures here
✖
On Nov 14, 9:01 pm, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

== Would you believe that they had utility programs for the Commodore 64 where you could examine your disk drive and alter the bits and bytes therein? We used to use them to "crack" game programs. ==
Add pictures here
✖
Hey, now I have a computer question:
I was recently told by a customer service rep that no virus can ever be removed, that if you get a virus, the hard drive needs to be erased and reformatted. Not the kind of advice I was looking to get.
I used to go to a website (SpywareInfo.org) where one could ask questions, upload a log of his computer's registry, etc. (Hijack This! logs, for example) and have someone look into the log, tell him what registry changes to make, and remove bugs, viruses, and such. The page is no longer active, but I long for such a place. Anyone know where I can find one again?
I am having a few problems, and I would like to be able to fix them without hauling my computer off to someone who will charge an arm and a leg to tell me the problem can't be fixed. I am capable of following step-by-step instructions, which is what one used to get at SpywareInfo.org. I am, however, somewhat computer illiterate, so I need the walk-you-through-it kind of help they provided.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 20:53:21 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

Virtually all virus infections can be cured, and the virus removed, with the right program and sometimes other manual steps.(without reformatting the drive and re-installing windows).
Sometimes it can be extremely difficult, and more expensive than trashing your computer and buying a new one - but the data is generally worth more than the computer, and the time required to re-install some complex setups can also be worth a lot more than a new computer.
I very rarely resort to re-installation unless there is nothing of value on the computer.
Add pictures here
✖
alt.home.repair:

No, that's not true, but depending on what you've been infected with, it may be more time and trouble than this "customer service rep" thinks it's worth to completely clean it out. And the virus/malware might break or corrupt things while it's living there such that things might not work quite right even after it's been eliminated. The process of leaning it out can also break things.
I've only been infected with a virus a couple of times, though not for years, because I know what to do and not to do. But I've cleaned infected systems for many other people, and it can be a long and tedious process. Sometimes it's a better use of everybody's time (and money, if I'm not doing it gratis) to just re-format the disk and re- install everything.

Be prepared for hours or days of frustration.
Add pictures here
✖

Try here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums /
Add pictures here