REGISTRY CLEANER

Sure I have. Ain't that when they pull the wool over your eyes?

And dam fine registry editors.

Good. I'm glad they feel glad.

Slight of hand?

Reply to
Oren

Gibson designs his software in a more benign way than the people who designed the malware that wants you to purchase their software after they have infected your PC with it. After using CCleaner for many years now...and having it "fix" the registry. It has not messed up mine nor any other PCs I have worked on.

Reply to
Bob Villa

=3D=3D I don't "push" any registry cleaner but I have used these so-called cleaners for nearly thirty years. The only one I had problems with was the old cleaner that Microsoft provided way back in Windows 98 days. They didn't recommend it but made it available for those who wanted to experiment. I re-installed Win 98 a number of times after screw-ups but that was no big deal. CCleaner is fairly innocuous but the registry cleaner part should be used with discretion...I'm pretty careful about deleting what it wants to delete.

=3D=3D

Reply to
Roy

Thirty years? What "registries" were there in 1980 that needed cleaning? Bridal?

Reply to
krw

I try, even though I own a small software company.

For example, in the post you referenced, I offered no advice at all.

Reply to
HeyBub

:

=3D=3D Would you believe that they had utility programs for the Commodore 64 where you could examine your disk drive and alter the bits and bytes therein? We used to use them to "crack" game programs. =3D=3D

Reply to
Roy

Hey, now I have a computer question:

I was recently told by a customer service rep that no virus can ever be removed, that if you get a virus, the hard drive needs to be erased and reformatted. Not the kind of advice I was looking to get.

I used to go to a website (SpywareInfo.org) where one could ask questions, upload a log of his computer's registry, etc. (Hijack This! logs, for example) and have someone look into the log, tell him what registry changes to make, and remove bugs, viruses, and such. The page is no longer active, but I long for such a place. Anyone know where I can find one again?

I am having a few problems, and I would like to be able to fix them without hauling my computer off to someone who will charge an arm and a leg to tell me the problem can't be fixed. I am capable of following step-by-step instructions, which is what one used to get at SpywareInfo.org. I am, however, somewhat computer illiterate, so I need the walk-you-through-it kind of help they provided.

Reply to
celticsoc

The Great Cyberheist

By JAMES VERINI

Reply to
Robert Green

My question was prove Gibson is a "con man". Don't avoid this but give us an answer.

Over a decade, plus, his site has never caused harm here.

Reply to
Oren

Virtually all virus infections can be cured, and the virus removed, with the right program and sometimes other manual steps.(without reformatting the drive and re-installing windows).

Sometimes it can be extremely difficult, and more expensive than trashing your computer and buying a new one - but the data is generally worth more than the computer, and the time required to re-install some complex setups can also be worth a lot more than a new computer.

I very rarely resort to re-installation unless there is nothing of value on the computer.

Reply to
clare

Gibson has provided some extremely valuable tools to the computer world over the years.

Reply to
clare

Like I said no proven facts.

I'm wrong? Maybe your cite of millions can correct me.( Which way did they post? Which way did he go? Which way did he go? ) How fast did it go?

Millions stand in line every day -- it won't mean they are correct.

Reply to
Oren

On 14 Nov 2010, " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com" wrote in alt.home.repair:

No, that's not true, but depending on what you've been infected with, it may be more time and trouble than this "customer service rep" thinks it's worth to completely clean it out. And the virus/malware might break or corrupt things while it's living there such that things might not work quite right even after it's been eliminated. The process of leaning it out can also break things.

I've only been infected with a virus a couple of times, though not for years, because I know what to do and not to do. But I've cleaned infected systems for many other people, and it can be a long and tedious process. Sometimes it's a better use of everybody's time (and money, if I'm not doing it gratis) to just re-format the disk and re- install everything.

Be prepared for hours or days of frustration.

Reply to
Nil

I NEVER said his site caused any harm...only that "I" see him as a con- artist!

Reply to
Bob Villa

Try here:

Bob Villa

Roy wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@j12g2000prm.googlegroups.com:

Believe that was called RegClean.exe

Reply to
Red Green

No, but it sometimes solves nasty incomplete uninstallation problems. Not everyone uses revo. Personally, I find the registry cleaner in the free Glary utilities package to be the best combination of easy to use, effective, and safe. No matter which registry cleaner I've ever tried, I ALWAYS create a registry restore point prior to the cleaning. Fortunately, I've never needed to use the restore point, but it gives me a better feeling of (false?) security.

Reply to
Peter

Hysterical ramblings, politics and drivel snipped .........

I use a free Eusing registry cleaner. All I know is that when my computer starts stumbling, I do an internet options - delete browsing record, and a Eusing registry cleaner, and it pops right back. I use free Comodo virus program, and a Adaware malware program.

But then, I've read here from obviously intelligent people that it doesn't work.

But then, it's my computer, so I'll do what I please, thank you very much.

Steve

Heart surgery pending? Read up and prepare. Learn how to care for a friend.

Steve B

A disk editor is hardly a "registry cleaner".

Reply to
krw

:

ote:

=3D=3D When I started in with DOS based IBM's and their clones we used "registry cleaners" although they were not always named as such. Actually, registries NEVER needed cleaning...just a bit of tweaking. Errors do occur which need remedying. So we had to "manipulate" things a bit. I don't pretend to be an expert, just a user who learned some things well but alas have no formal training. I was too old when I started with computers but nothing ventured...nothing gained. =3D=3D

Reply to
Roy