Rayovac batteries - leak problems?

Page 1 of 3
I usually use Duracell or Energizer batteries. I got some Rayovac batteries because they were cheaper. I figured that they were about the same, and you are paying for Duracell and Energizer advertising. I had the Rayovac batteries in two Maglite flashlights. Both started getting dim, so I opened them up to change the batteries. The Rayovac batteries had leaked and ruined the flashlights. I contacted Rayovac - they said that they were reimbursing me for the flashlights and today I received new batteries from them.
I'm afraid to use the replacement Rayovac batteries - they might leak and ruin something else. Do Rayovac batteries have problems with leaking?
--
Replace you know what by j to email

I suppose any cell will leak if sufficiently abused.
Personally, I buy cheap alkalines at discount places for about $.25/cell.
Occasionally I find signs of slight "leakage" in stuff that I left the batteries in but didn't use.
Most severe leakage usually comes when you leave something on and the cells are completely drained. When this happens, one cell is likely to end up being discharged to the point where it exhibits polarity reversal. Now THAT'S when you get serious leakage.
IOW: your best protection against leakage is: 1) only use alkaline cells in disposable applications; 2) don't leave the gadget turned on; and 3) when you KNOW the battteries are "weak" just toss them.
Keep plenty of spare cells around so that you aren't tempted to leave "weak" cells inside appliances where they can cause problems.
Personally, I use a mix of NiCads, MNiH, and alkalines. Heavy drawing stuff uses rechargables. Otherwise, I use AA & AAA alkalines.
On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 23:57:06 -0500, "John Gilmer"

#1 - I use only alkaline 2 - the flashlights were not on for a very long time 3 - I tested them and they were weak - that's when I opened them up to change the batteries and found the leak problem.
--
Replace you know what by j to email

I never had a Duracell or Energiser leak that had charge left in it, so I maybe rayovac have problems
On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 22:29:14 -0500, Jan Philips
problems?:

Yes.

We had several MagLites over the years, all but one of them gifts.
Each and every one was destroyed by leaking batteries. All the batteries used were either Energizer or Duracell alkaline.
I have come to the tentative conclusion that the primary issue is that MagLites are sealed too well to allow any sort of air flow through them.
Our other less-well-sealed flashlights (some dating back to the '80s) do not suffer from this problem, even with the same brand and type of batteries. This is what leads me to the tentative conclusion mentioned above.
My solution: unload the MagLite when not in use; leave it open; only install the batteries when you need the flashlight.
--
Tegger

wrote Re Re: Rayovac batteries - leak problems?:

Excellent solution.

A problem with that is that I have that I have four of them around the house located in places that I can find in the dark by feel. I don't want to have to find the batteries in the dark.
--
Replace you know what by j to email

On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 16:02:42 -0500, Jan Philips

IMO a flashlight without batteries in it is useless. Always want it fast, and ready. I've got at least 3 Maglites and never had a battery leak in them. I never use Ray-O-Vac, which I've had leak long ago. Never had Duracells leak. Usually there's cheap batteries in them that my wife picks up at Big Lots or some other bargain place. I looked at the Mags in the kitchen and the 5-cell has Fuji something in it, the 3-cell was empty. Since I picked up a few packs of those HF LED flashlights I hardly use the MagLites anyway. Grabbed the empty Maglite just the other day and when I saw it didn't light I just grabbed one of the LED's, which filled the bill. Got those little things all around the house.
Anybody using Eneloops? I've been using them for all my wireless stuff and digital camera for about a year now and really like them. They hold a charge longer than the Targa and Ever-Ready rechargeables I was using before, and don't degrade after repeated chargings like those did. That's just my impression, no scientific testing. I'm thinking about getting some more for the flashlights, and have just one battery type in the house. I'll tell my wife not to buy any more batteries, and just go see the Master of Batteries - me - for any battery needs. No inappropriate jokes here - please. But Eneloops are a bit more expensive than most rechargeables, so I haven't pulled the trigger on that.
--Vic
<stuff snipped>

Pretty much. Who wants to fumble in the dark looking for batteries or loading them into unit when the lights go out? I've found that if any device is left on, they can cause the alkaline cells to leak. I've had them ALL leak - Rayovacs, Energizers and even Duracells. The only exceptions are NiMH, which I've never had leak under any circumstances.

I've been testing them for the last year. Very useful in high drain stuff like portable TV's, cameras, etc. Seem to hold a charge for at least six months - I've got a digital charger that tells you how many mA's of charge a battery takes so in about six months from now I'll know how well they hold a charge over a year. I charged a batch up that I bought this summer and just put them away. Package claims 80% charge retention - we'll see.
While they are pricey, it does seem that will be very useful in LED flashlights because of the long charge retention. Using NiMH cells in flashlights usually means recharging them every 3 months to make sure they still work and that's a PITA. So is going for a flashlight and finding it ruined from a battery leak.
-- Bobby G.
On Wed, 15 Dec 2010 08:47:38 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

I don't know about them but I've had good results using Tenergy batteries - I get them through www.all-battery.com. I have no financial or other connection with them except that I like the batteries.
I commute by bike through much of the winter, so I use their batteries in lots of lights as well as my heated gloves. I also use them in all the remotes in the house. They last for a few years, with heavy use in the winter months and fairly light use otherwise. I also use their batteries for my two Roombas.

Rubber-band them to the flashlight, in the orientation you'll need them to be when installed.
--
Tegger

I have Maglites with Energizer or Duracell, but no leakage problems. So I doubt it is a consequence of Maglites.
--
Replace you know what by j to email

On Wed, 15 Dec 2010 08:43:59 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

The springs on some of the Maglites are very strong - strong enough to make it hard to get it on in the dark.
In both of my cases, it was not the battery near the cap that was leaking (or not leaking the most). I was able to get the first battery out, but the second one was frozen in there.
As far as getting the flashlight on quickly (in another message), some people in this family are stressed when the lights go out, so it is important to get them on quickly.
--
Replace you know what by j to email

I never thought of that before.
Perhaps the spring is strong enough that it can compromise the seals on the batteries. You wouldn't necessarily see the leaks from the battery nearest the spring, but from the one(s) which had the weakest sealing in the first place.
--
Tegger

On 12/13/2010 10:29 PM, Jan Philips wrote:

Oddly, I seem to have been presented with a lot of kids' toys lately to fix that I was unable to do so because of leaking batteries. They were all rayovacs. I just dug out some old wireless mice that'd been in a drawer for months, unused - no leakage. Batteries in one were Energizer and the other Duracell. I can't remember the last time I had a leakage problem, but I never use Rayovac batteries - mostly use Energizer lithium when I can find them because I hate having to buy batteries. Also have several LED flashlights with the Duracell batteries that they came with still in them, some of them more than a year old.
completely anecdotal, I know, but I can't remember the last time I saw a battery that had leaked that *wasn't* a Rayovac.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

That has been my recent experience too, but as you say, that is only anecdotal evidence.
Rayovac sent me two sets of replacements. I'm afraid to use them, except I may use them for a while and get rid of them before they have a chance to leak.
--
Replace you know what by j to email

On 12/13/2010 10:29 PM, Jan Philips wrote:

I've used Rayovac AA's for 20 or so years and don't recall having a problem. I normally wait for the sales and about a month ago bought 30 of them for about 35 cents a piece. My main application long ago was in electronics in pinball machines, used to hold the memory when turned off (yes old technology). I'd use a couple hundred a year. They go through a lot of heat, which most batteries don't like but they seemed to be just as good as the name brands spending millions of $$ in TV commercials.
I can't say they never leaked, but when things get left go for 5 or more years, the name brand ones leaked also.
On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 22:29:14 -0500, Jan Philips

Followup: and today I received $52.00 from them for the two ruined Maglites.
--
Replace you know what by j to email

replying to Jan Philips, jt wrote: Just found this forum. I realize the thread is old but I believe my experience is relevant. Last week I tossed the second Mag Lite (3 D cell) flashlight that Rayovac batteries ruined. This time was a repeat of the first time, the center cell went bad and leaked and swelled - sort of welded to the flashlight body. Like the first time, slamming the tube on the top of my workbench eventually freed the battery but the switch shifts in the process and flashlight was ruined. Having to pop for another MagLite pissed me off.
If it was just the 2 flashlights (about 10 years apart) I probably wouldn't be taking the time to even write this note, but during that time frame there were other Rayovac leaks - the LED light set, the camera, and the rec room remote control, and the battery organizer. All had Rayovacs (but at least for those the damage was not beyond repair and I was able to remove the batteries in those and clean the equipment up). However, I'm fed up with having to spend my time to fix problems caused by leaky Rayovac batteries and having to spend money to replace Mag Lites. Plus I have a bunch of the batteries that I now afraid to us.
I don't have receipts but I'm disgusted enough that sent a note to Rayovac - we'll see what they say/do.