Question - More Insulation

Greetings:
I have only 6-9" of batt insulation currently in my attic (east coast of Canada). For a while, I've been waffling over what to put on top in order to increase the depth. Some friends recommend more batts (laid perpendicular to what is there), while others recommend loose-fill.
Any recommendations? It's not much more than a crawl space up there, even though the attic is about 1000sq ft. I could do the batts myself, but I'd be a little unsure about the loose-fill.
Pros and cons of each? Concerns over covering up wiring?
Thanks,
Dave
Dave Gallant wrote:

Both are good.
In either case you want to make sure you do not block vents. Every important.
Batts may be easier to add, or may not
loose-fill has a tendency to fill in small spaces and seal air leaks, which is good.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
6-9" = r 21- r 34, minimal and well below the optimum for your area, add another R 35 in batt or fiberglass blown in. Cellulose is junk and serttles and deteriorates. Also calculate in 15% settling of new insulation so add an extra 15% over R 35. Price out what is cheaper, batt or blown in. Don`t worry about wires.
Don`t worry about wires.

If the wiring is old knob and tube wiring - don't cover it.
Bob
If the wiring is historic Knob and Tube REPLACE IT
Good morning:
Thanks for the tips folks. It's only a 30 year old house, so the wiring is pretty good. I'll get quotes on both and take it from there price-wise.
Cheers,
Dave