Propane rip-off: big sellers of exchange tanks are not filling them all the way

Guess again.

Reply to
salty

So here's my question:

Are the control valves on the grill itself any less efficient than the control valves on my kitchen stove?

In other words, do I really need to close the valve on the tank if the valves on the grill are closed?

Wouldn't that be akin to closing the gas valve to my kitchen stove in addition to turning off the valves to each burner?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

It depends on the quality of your grille. Is it U/L listed? Make sure that listing is for the grille, not just the regulator and hose (separate listing). The only grille I have ever had that did have a leaky burner valve was a cheap promo from one of the "marts". I put it out for the trash.

Reply to
gfretwell

is your kitchen stove fed by exposed rubber hoses?

Reply to
salty

Yes, why? ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

RTFL

**************************************************** I agree that reading labels is important and is a part of personal responsibility.

In addition, businesses have a responsibility and should have ethics and morals too. To short a container that has been filled to a given amount for decades is a way of circumventing those ethics. I'm not so sure it would be looked upon well by the truth in packaging laws either, but I'm not a lawyer and I'm not going to do the research.

If you want to sell your product for $1 or $10 a unit, that is your choice. At least the ice cream makers used the proper sized package for the reduced amount. The propane guys figured few would ever notice. They did. It made the newspapers around the country. Why? Because it is a sleazy way of doing business.

End of conversation.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Except for the ones like Breyers, who whipped air into the product to increase volume. When it melts, it looks like a wet sponge. Weigh Breyers compared to their competitors.

Reply to
1D10T

I saw that story in the paper. The most amusing part was where the store selling the reduced volume tanks stated that they had not received any complaints from customers.

Oh well, now I'll go to the gas station that refills them. Less expensive too, just not as convenient.

Reply to
SMS

But unlike coffee, ice cream, etc., where the reduced volume or weight is on the package, the propane tanks have no indication that the they're not being filled as full as possible. This is simply fraud, and the retailers and suppliers should be sued in a class action lawsuit.

Reply to
SMS

How about Breyers whipping air into the product to increase volume.

Reply to
1D10T

They usually have a level indication on the side. The change in temperature between empty and occupied space displays on the indicator.

There's also medication to help you with your paranoia.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

I haven't exchanged a tank in a while. Going by what you are saying I assume that the exchanged tank would be marked if it contained 15 pounds instead of the normal 18 or 19. Is this why you are saying "RTFL - Read the ... label" ?

Reply to
tnom

:

Usually? Where do you get tanks that have an indicator on the side?

I've seen them as after-market devices, but I can't say that I've ever seen one on any tank I've bought or exchanged for.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Where is this level indication? I have been using propane tanks for years and I have yet to see a new or refilled tank come with a level indication.

Reply to
tnom

Huh? Since this thread appeared, I started noticing the tank exchanges at various places -- every single one had the weight (15 lbs in most cases) prominently displayed, large enough to be visible from

10-15 feet away. I don't recall if the tanks themselves had wrappers (they were behind a cage), but if so I'm sure the weight was listed there also. Just like coffee, ice cream, etc (actually the ones I saw were more prominent)

Has anyone actually seen a display not indicate this? At an otherwise-reputable retailer?

Josh

Reply to
Josh

That's not why you whip air into ice cream, dimwit.

Reply to
salty

I don't; Breyers does.

A chemical research team in Britain discovered a method of doubling the amount of air in ice cream, which allowed manufacturers to use *less of the actual ingredients*, thereby reducing costs. The incorporation of air into ice cream is what the trade refers to as overrun. All commercial ice creams have "overrun," a term applied to the amount of air they contain. The percentage of overrun ranges from 0 (no air) to 200, a theoretical figure that would be all air. The legal overrun limit for ice cream is 100 percent, which would amount to half air. Ice cream needs some air or it would be rock-hard. But one with 100 percent overrun would have so little body that it would feel mushy in the mouth; it would also melt extremely fast. An ice cream with the more desirable proportion of 20 to 50 percent overrun (10 to 25 percent air) would be denser, creamier and eminently more satisfying. Since the overrun is not required to be listed on the package, the only way to be absolutely sure is to weigh the carton. Ice cream with a 50 percent overrun (25 percent air) will weigh about 18 ounces per pint (subtract about 1 1/2 ounces for the weight of the container). The weight of the ice cream will be proportionately higher with a lower percentage of overrun.

Breyers has so much overrun that when it melts it looks like a wet sponge, not the creamy appearance one would expect to see. It also has a "grainy" texture in the mouth. If it wouldn't require the purchase of a Breyers' product, I'd do the weight test, although just handling it and comparing with other brands, it is lighter.

My bad for not stating "How about Breyers whipping *excessive* air into the product to increase volume.

Do a little research before you make another childish comment, dipshit.

Reply to
1D10T

You shall remain an idiot. There is excessive overrun in your head.

Reply to
salty

Your typical constructive and informative contribution to the group.

Reply to
1D10T

You must be pretty new here, putz.

Reply to