Prewiring alarm for a new house

No, but don't kid yourself, the rate of firearms ownership in Canada is just as great as the USA (overall). And that is a fact ! However, the big difference up here is that firearms are kept and used for a multitude of legitimate purposes; however, self defence is NOT one of them!! Also speaking as a Canadian, I too am thankful that (so far) our culture doesn't instill the fear level that drives people in the US to keep firearms for self defence. In addition, the rate of ownership of "restricted firearms" such as handguns is no where near as great as in the US....we have about 1 million handguns in our country (legal ones that is...no one knows how many illegal ones come in...), and the remainder are sporting long guns such as rifles and shotguns. We do have good laws that mandate safe ownership and storage left over from the next to last revision of the Criminal Code. But I certainly don't rest easier in any fashion whether my neighbour owns a gun or not ! That has little to do with anything !

However, since the latest shooting massacre in Montreal and the resulting latest changes, we now are blessed with some of the most atrocious new gun laws that exist anywhere; they boggle the mind with their complexity and the resultant inability to follow them legally even if you want to (speaking from much personal experience..). And having gone up to a billion dollars in program costs (and still climbing), one has to ask whether this is the best expenditure of that much money (and that goes whether you are a gun hater or a gun lover frankly...)

If you are a criminologist, you know the issue is much more complicated than mere availability; a lot of it is mired in social and cultural issues stemming back to the history of the development of each country.

R.H.Campbell Home Security Metal Products Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Hey, if you want to have a gun and consider it "protection", that's your choice. I'd much rather live in a neighbourhood where I know that none of my neighbours have guns, and where I find it a pleasant surprise if one of my neighbours unexpectedly comes over to say hello once in a while. Of course, I'm Canadian, and I live in a country that thankfully doesn't have the culture of fear of our southern neighbours.

Regards,

George Wenzel

George Wenzel, B.A. (Criminology) E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@recursor.invalid E-mail address is munged. Instead of dot invalid, use dot net

Reply to
RH.Campbell

Or he is indeed free to choose not to bother wth intinerant salesfools, individuals that cant manage to work out which particular property whose door they are knocking on, and isnt interested in the neighbours.

His choice.

Just as true of anything else in that house, including kitchen knives, cats, dogs, chairs, etc etc etc.

Its easy enough for anyone with a clue to eliminate any risk.

It is indeed.

You can never know that unless you 'live' in a police state that searches all propertys weekly etc.

Sure, but its his choice to not bother with them.

Your problem.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Shows how widespread a) the concept is and b) the joke is. I like that joke a lot.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Shafer

Kind of puts a hole in the "more likely to kill you kid or his friends" argument, though. I haven't been able to find a statistic for people killed by their own gun, yet, but I suspect that the number is vanishingly small.

True, but people are injured by all sorts of odd things, including stairs, bathtubs, and bowling balls and ball-point pens. I can't get this Microsoft peice of crap to launch Acrobat Reader for some reason, so at the moment, I can't get at the CDC statistics, but the bottom line is that guns simply aren't particularly dangerous _to_their_owners_, and what danger there is goes down dramatically with the application of a little common sense.

And anyone who tells you different is underinformed, dishonest, or both.

--Goedjn

Reply to
default

Yep. It's funny but it also says a lot.

Reply to
Robert L. Bass

George Wenzel wrote

My chance of sawing my leg off are dramatically increased by possessing the chainsaw I use for tree trimming, and I am much more likely to be in an automobile accident since I own four motor vehicles. What is your point?

js

Reply to
alarman

Best you can do, huh? Everyone here knows who I am. Jack Stevens, Spring Valley, CA. I'm listed, so step on up. js

Reply to
alarman

Some gutless f****it desperately cowering behind alarman desperately attempted to bullshit its way out of its predicament in message news:xeCjc.843$k24.728@fed1read01... and fooled absolutely no one at all. As always.

Try harder, child. You might actually manage to fool someone, sometime.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Your turn. js

Reply to
alarman

None whatsoever, Jack. Buy some more guns and have another beer. Need any extra 2-cycle oil for the chainsaw?

Heh, heh, heh... :^)

Reply to
Robert L. Bass

Noone. It was kind of a rhetorical ... statement(?).

Reply to
Aegis

Total number of people who were killed unintentionally (by firearms AND any other means) would HAVE to be greater than just the number who were killed unintentionally by firearms alone.

Reply to
Aegis

How many shootings does it take to bring back any of the dead drowning victims?

Reply to
Aegis

You must not be American as you don't seem to understand the concept of freedom...

How CHOOSING (aka FREEDOM) not to answer the door indicates the LACK of freedom is beyond my comprehension.

Also, I don't choose to ignore the door because of fear. So it does not indicate bravery OR the lack thereof.

I simply do not want to be bothered. If the knocking is fierce as it would be in an emergency, I would answer. Otherwise, leave a note... or call...

Hmm... chances of getting injured or killed by a gun when no gun present =

0%... chances of getting injured or killed by a gun when gun is present =

Gee I guess you're right.

Chances of a microscopic neutrino passing throught the planet and piercing a cell in your brain and triggering a chain reaction which ultimately leads to your death if no neutrinos present = 0%... chances of same if neutrinos present = >0%

Fancy that.

No fear here... And my neighbors are quite friendly... They also know to call me as I don't like to be disturbed by the door (then I have to get up and see who it is)... Personal choice which they respect. Interject your illusions of fear all you want; doesn't make it true.

And I wouldn't worry about neighbors with guns... I would worry about armed burglars. Note that I said armed which does not dictate guns specifically.

My gun may or may not save me (or my possessions) IF, although unlikely, a break-in should occur, but then again it might. I prefer the option.

My gun is for home defense. Canada has a zero robbery/burglary rate?

Reply to
Aegis

I resent even the hint of accusation that I would ever cause harm to my wife.

Reply to
Aegis

Aegis wrote

Donno, but Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than any of my guns. js

Reply to
alarman

how many shootings does it take to bring back any of the dead drowning victims?

How many accidental knife related injuries were there? Should we ban all knives?

How many twisted ankles were there? Should we ban walking?

Reply to
Philip Lewis

I believe in gun control. People should control their guns. To me that means they should lock them up when they're not directly controlling them. Other than that I couldn't care less is you have 150 guns in your house.

Reply to
Robert L. Bass

Hmm. Seems we read the prior statement differently. :^)

Reply to
Robert L. Bass

He has better aim?

Reply to