Prewiring alarm for a new house

Page 5 of 7
Rod Speed wrote

No need to be so hard on yourself. You just need to grow up a little. Give it time. js
Some gutless fuckwit desperately cowering behind
to bullshit its way out of its predicament in message
and fooled absolutely no one at all. As always.
Try harder, child. You might actually manage to fool someone, sometime.
alarman wrote:

A homeowner with a pistol (or the fear of a homeowner with a pistol) is the only guaranteed burglary deterent. Guard dogs can be killed, alarms don't bother the smash-and-grab crooks, burglar bars only slow the squints.
Don't believe me? Put the following sign on your front door:
There are no GUNS in this house!
And see how long you last.
says...

Bullshit. Say you've got a house with no alarm and no dog. Want to find out if there's a homeowner there with a gun? Use foolproof method: RING THE DOORBELL. If nobody answers, then you don't have to worry about the "guaranteed burglary deterrent" being a problem.
Oh, and don't forget that you vastly increase the chances that you or a family member will get shot if you decide to keep a loaded weapon in your house.

All of these methods are perfectly reasonable ways of making your house a less desirable target than the one next to it, which is all you really need to do to prevent break-ins. Crooks (for the most part) aren't stupid - they'll target the house that looks like it's the least trouble to get in and out of.
Regards,
George Wenzel
--
George Wenzel, B.A. (Criminology)
E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@recursor.invalid

There is a risk that someone inside will choose not to answer the door, assuming that its just a salesfool etc.
With a dog inside, that should make it obvious to even the stupidest crim that there is a dog inside and it should be obvious its a large dog when it is too.

Not if you take sensible precautions with the firearms.

Rod Speed wrote

This requires that the firearm owner have some sense to begin with. From what I've read, you have a long way to go, grasshopper. js
Some gutless fuckwit desperately cowering behind
to bullshit its way out of its predicament in message
and fooled absolutely no one at all. As always.
Try harder, child. You might actually manage to fool someone, sometime.

Best you can do, huh? Everyone here knows who I am. Jack Stevens, Spring Valley, CA. I'm listed, so step on up. js
Some gutless fuckwit desperately cowering behind
to bullshit its way out of its predicament in message
and fooled absolutely no one at all. As always.
Try harder, child. You might actually manage to fool someone, sometime.

Your turn. js

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says...

Let me guess: you're an American, right? Land of the free and home of the brave? You sound neither free nor brave.

Good for you. Your chances of being accidentally injured or killed by that gun are still greater than if it wasn't present.
Hey, if you want to have a gun and consider it "protection", that's your choice. I'd much rather live in a neighbourhood where I know that none of my neighbours have guns, and where I find it a pleasant surprise if one of my neighbours unexpectedly comes over to say hello once in a while. Of course, I'm Canadian, and I live in a country that thankfully doesn't have the culture of fear of our southern neighbours.
Regards,
George Wenzel
--
George Wenzel, B.A. (Criminology)
E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@recursor.invalid

Don't fray George, it's the American way to get involved in everyone else's business but our own. We're post active, premeditated, down here. Hopefully, after this guy beats his wife...she'll be trained enough to use that gun on him. And remember, once she does it, we'll spend more money housing her in a safe place, with 3 hots and cot, for the rest of her life. No country spends more money encouraging crime than the US. A gun is just a tool a few of us feel lightens the load on judicial spending.
Jack

I resent even the hint of accusation that I would ever cause harm to my wife.

No, but don't kid yourself, the rate of firearms ownership in Canada is just as great as the USA (overall). And that is a fact ! However, the big difference up here is that firearms are kept and used for a multitude of legitimate purposes; however, self defence is NOT one of them!! Also speaking as a Canadian, I too am thankful that (so far) our culture doesn't instill the fear level that drives people in the US to keep firearms for self defence. In addition, the rate of ownership of "restricted firearms" such as handguns is no where near as great as in the US....we have about 1 million handguns in our country (legal ones that is...no one knows how many illegal ones come in...), and the remainder are sporting long guns such as rifles and shotguns. We do have good laws that mandate safe ownership and storage left over from the next to last revision of the Criminal Code. But I certainly don't rest easier in any fashion whether my neighbour owns a gun or not ! That has little to do with anything !
However, since the latest shooting massacre in Montreal and the resulting latest changes, we now are blessed with some of the most atrocious new gun laws that exist anywhere; they boggle the mind with their complexity and the resultant inability to follow them legally even if you want to (speaking from much personal experience..). And having gone up to a billion dollars in program costs (and still climbing), one has to ask whether this is the best expenditure of that much money (and that goes whether you are a gun hater or a gun lover frankly...)
If you are a criminologist, you know the issue is much more complicated than mere availability; a lot of it is mired in social and cultural issues stemming back to the history of the development of each country.
R.H.Campbell Home Security Metal Products Ottawa, Ontario, Canada www.homemetal.com
E-mail address is munged. Instead of dot invalid, use dot net
message says...>> I NEVER answer my door unless I am expecting a visitor.> Let me guess: you're an American, right? Land of the free

Or he is indeed free to choose not to bother wth intinerant salesfools, individuals that cant manage to work out which particular property whose door they are knocking on, and isnt interested in the neighbours.
His choice.

Just as true of anything else in that house, including kitchen knives, cats, dogs, chairs, etc etc etc.
Its easy enough for anyone with a clue to eliminate any risk.

It is indeed.

You can never know that unless you 'live' in a police state that searches all propertys weekly etc.

Sure, but its his choice to not bother with them.

Your problem.
George Wenzel wrote

My chance of sawing my leg off are dramatically increased by possessing the chainsaw I use for tree trimming, and I am much more likely to be in an automobile accident since I own four motor vehicles. What is your point?
js

None whatsoever, Jack. Buy some more guns and have another beer. Need any extra 2-cycle oil for the chainsaw?
Heh, heh, heh... :^)
says...

You must not be American as you don't seem to understand the concept of freedom...
How CHOOSING (aka FREEDOM) not to answer the door indicates the LACK of freedom is beyond my comprehension.
Also, I don't choose to ignore the door because of fear. So it does not indicate bravery OR the lack thereof.
I simply do not want to be bothered. If the knocking is fierce as it would be in an emergency, I would answer. Otherwise, leave a note... or call...

pertains
Hmm... chances of getting injured or killed by a gun when no gun present 0%... chances of getting injured or killed by a gun when gun is present >0%
Gee I guess you're right.
Chances of a microscopic neutrino passing throught the planet and piercing a cell in your brain and triggering a chain reaction which ultimately leads to your death if no neutrinos present = 0%... chances of same if neutrinos present = >0%
Fancy that.

No fear here... And my neighbors are quite friendly... They also know to call me as I don't like to be disturbed by the door (then I have to get up and see who it is)... Personal choice which they respect. Interject your illusions of fear all you want; doesn't make it true.
And I wouldn't worry about neighbors with guns... I would worry about armed burglars. Note that I said armed which does not dictate guns specifically.
My gun may or may not save me (or my possessions) IF, although unlikely, a break-in should occur, but then again it might. I prefer the option.
My gun is for home defense. Canada has a zero robbery/burglary rate?