Creaking stairs and floors in new house

Hi,

I've been in my newly built house for 5 months now and I've noticed that a couple of the stairs are creaking and if I step on a particular area in my tiled bathroom there is a small but distinct shudder in the entire bathroom. Is this part and parcel of a house, or did my builder screw up? At what point should I start to get concerned?

Thanks, Kenneth

Reply to
Kenneth Stephen

It may have been an accidental "screwup", or maybe things were tight when the place was built, but some wood has shrunk a little to let things start squeeking.

Stair treads can usually be socked down with special screws from the top, even if they are already carpeted over.

But, I'd be worried about that bathroom. If the floor is covered with ceramic tiles and it's not rigid enough, you'll start seeing tiles cracking shortly.

Ceramic floor tiles must be installed over a substrate which won't give enough to let them crack under foot traffic. There are special stiff materials like "cement board" which should be used under tiles for that reason. DAMHIKN

I'd get on the builder and have him correct the squeeks, and also get some proof about what's been sed under those tiles, preferably in writing.

Have a Happy (if Squeeky) New Year,

Jeff

-- Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Jeff Wisnia

With the onset of heating season, the wood dries out and shrinks a tad causing squeaks when you walk on certain areas. This will not get better on it's own. Get on the Builder right away and don't accept any excuses or putoffs. Des

Reply to
Des Perado

I agree with Jef & Des. As disruptive as it may be, opening the ceiling below a squeak is often needed to solve the problem. Recording participants, dates, times, and what is said is important. ( this should be done in a - so we all know what was said - non confrontational way ) The folks involved know you are serious and you have notes on what is to be done.

TB

Reply to
Tom Baker