new house cost

ignoring the cost of a plot on which to build, what does the assembled masses here think the build cost of a 4 bed house would be. I know it's how long is a piece of string but lets just talk about the material cost of say your average well specked 4 bed estate house. Block construction not timber framed and a footprint of about 40x35ft. Anyone done it recently? or point to a news group more dedicated to new build with a big leaning to doing it yourself rather that just arranging the contractors yourself. many thanks
-- snipped-for-privacy@tiscali.co.uk take off your trousers to e-mail me

Obviously very ball park with a million varaibles, but say 110,000 GBP for nothing special and contract fittings.
Christian.

My insurance company rate the re-build cost for my similar sized house as 130k. I got the original re-build cost (86k) in 2000 by phoning up the builders and just asking, as the rebuild cost (not sale cost) greatly affects your buildings insurance.

The difference may be accounted for by the Insurance Company including site clearance in their price whereas the builder may not.

Selfbuilt, that would be decent spec and fittings.
_________________________________________ Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server More than 120,000 groups Unlimited download http://www.usenetzone.com to open account

How have you arrived at that Christian? I thought it would be 80-90K
--
David

Perhaps living in Reading may account for some of the difference.
Christian.
simon beer wrote:

This one made grand-designs a few years ago and cost 75K to build, from recollection is was reasonably high spec!
http://www.channel4.com/4homes/ontv/grand-designs/houses/H/hereford-2.html
Land is difficult to find these days and years ago you had to fund all the costs (i.e. profesional fees / plot cost/ groundworks) until the foundations were in before you could get a mortgage, no idea if this is still the case!
Unless you or your family are in the trade, it usually pays to employ a project manager (about 10% of build cost) to run your site!!
Jon

I remember that one - the whole family were in the building game IIRC so the build costs were unrealistically low, as they were getting much of the work free.
"The build was a family affair. The frame was made in Merry's father's workshop; her uncle helped manage the project; and her cousins offered their expertise on site."
-- Please add "[newsgroup]" in the subject of any personal replies via email --- My new email address has "ngspamtrap" & @btinternet.com in it ;-) ---
Colin Wilson wrote:

Fully agree with your comments - nevertheless oak timber frames, hand made bricks, lime render, underfloor heating, traditional building methods (e.g craftmen!) etc isn't cheap, so even if you add 1/3rd again that they got as 'freebies', a 100K goes a long long way!
Jon
It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the
saying something like:

Afair, the site was a bit free, too.
--

Dave

foundations
case!
No. they have progression mortgages. They drip feed you the money in stages, and only after the prior stage is built and inspected.

_________________________________________ Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server More than 120,000 groups Unlimited download http://www.usenetzone.com to open account

how
say
timber
Block construction? Madness!!! Look at SIPs .

2000 squ foot, det, 4 bed, 2 bath house is approx 100-110K to build.
_________________________________________ Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server More than 120,000 groups Unlimited download http://www.usenetzone.com to open account
IMM wrote:

And appx 100K to then make it worh living in.

it
Bad taste costs All those swirly patterned carpets and leapard skinned furniture you have must cost a bomb.
_________________________________________ Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server More than 120,000 groups Unlimited download http://www.usenetzone.com to open account
IMM wrote:

Huh?
None of those John.
Actually all my sofas are free gifts from friends and relatives.
Lights and curtains were horrendous though.
As were bathrooms with tiles and taps and stuff.
She could easily have spent over a grand for curtains and poles for just one french window...that costs about a grand in itself...
Ive spent abou 5 grand just paving up the areas we need to sit out on...and I think the planting is running at several grand, as is the bill for general hire of diggers to landscape..
Christ, to mow it takes a 2 grand lawnmower...
simon beer wrote:

Go for 75 a sq ft for a bare shell with basic fitings, and 100-150 a square foot for all fitted out to your state with garden and drive and everything done the way YOU want it.

I've had 75 a sq ft mentioned to me as a finished build. Is this the going rate at the moment, how did you come by this figure. I was thinking that 100K would build something but am now leaning towards the thought that it may take another 20K. I suppose there is the advantage of the VAT return at the end to of set against some of this, although I appreciate that this is not a fortune!
simon beer wrote:

Yes, that's correct, a bare shell with basic fittings, like a new wimpey hutch.
Then there's a decent drive, and that garage, and the shed, and the curtains need changing, and no more plastic tracks, she wants wooden poles, and oh lord, how about brass fittings on the sockets, and those fancy wall lights that cots about 500 quid a room... and that kitchen...Darling I want a PROPER kitchen that costs 20,000 quid, not this naff plastic shite with a cheapo built in ceramic hob...and darling, can't we have some nice slate floors, and a pond, and some flower gardens, and a patio and.....it turns out to be nearer 100k-150k mate. I know.
Is this the going

It all adds up.
The trouble is, there is a world of difference between a builder knocking something out at rock bottom price (= 'a house') and what She wants to live in (='a Home').
If you think you can move into a new build house and get away with less than 20k to 'personalise' it to Her Tastes (or lack of it) think again...
As there is a world of difference between a boring square box with a single pitch gable ended roof, manhole covres where the builder found it easiets to put them, ione electric socket per room, and no oter wiring, and a crap basic bog and bathroom...and a nice interesting design with hips and dormers and valleys and chimneys and so on. All filled to te gills with ensuite this and built in that.
Hence trying to set a sort of scale between '75 a square= Barrat superhutch" and 150 a square = "very comfortable interesting and nicely finshed luxury modern house"
The bloke down the road took an old listed house bought for 475k and spent 2.5m on refurbishment, and building a ghastly modern packing crate on the side, and constructing a floodlit car park, like Tescos, and sticking vile modern art sculptures everywhere. My guess is its all about 4000 sq ft, so his total spend was getting on for 750 a square ft estimated.
Thats why I think its safer to budget on 100-125 for something interesting, especially if its all done by someone else, who will take a cut and still make nearly as much of a cockup as you would yourself.
I.e. 75 will buy you what someone else finds quick and simple to build. Thart pases the ffiniton of'fit for occupation' 100 will buy you something that is pleasant to look at outside, with some basic landscaping. 125 will make the inside the way She wants it.
Because if you just wanted a basic house, why are you building your own?

Because a basic 4 bed house in the village is knocking on the door of 300,000 and I can't quite make that. More fancy one off builds are going for near the 500K. I don't know how people manage it, but then there is not one local person in any of these!!