Prewiring alarm for a new house

Page 2 of 7

"Gun control" means hitting what you're aiming at.

True. It also means controlling access to your guns. Anything less is stupid and reckless.

OTOH, it doesn't make much sense to keep a gun around for protection, unless it's both loaded and readily accessible. Like most things in life, there are tradeoffs. I think I'd argue that if you truly have such a strong need for a firearm for protection _in_your_home_ that you *must* keep one loaded and accessible, then you really oughta move to a safer neighborhood. :-)
I keep mine in a locked cabinet. I think my dogs and my alarm system will give me enough advance warning to get one of them out, if I ever really need it.

The question is readily accessible to whom? If it is in your possession (that is, if you are carrying it), we agree. If it is readily accessible to untrained children or to a thief because someone left it in the dresser drawer, you have a recipe for disaster. If you want to kep your gun strapped to your leg and walk around your house armed and ready that's your businss. OTOH, if someone leaves a loaded gun around where children can get at it and it causes an innocent person's death I believe it's fair to send him to prison for a long time. Fair enough?

That's what I consider gun control. If you use common sense about firearms, no one is likely to be hurt. It's the morons who leave loaded guns in the bedroom drawers while children are around that I think are nuts.

Fair enough.

No argument from me there either. FWIW, we've had guns since before we had kids. From the beginning, we've told the kids that these are dangerous, they are not to be played with -- but whenever they get curious about what the guns look like or how they work, all they need to do is ask, and we'll get one out of the cabinet and look at it _together_. That goes a long way toward removing the allure of forbidden fruit. It helps, too, that when the boys were small, we lived on 9 acres in the country. I used to go rabbit hunting right out the back door, and I took the boys along whenever I could. They saw at a very early age that when something gets shot, it *dies*, and dies _for_real_, not like what happens in cartoons, so they know first-hand that guns are serious business.

That is called responsible parenting. It is also a major part of *real* gun control. The problem is the idiots who never teach their children anything other than (by example) how to get drunk all the time and then leave loaded, unsecured guns in the house. Those people should be horse-whipped or worse, be forced to live with Jiminex. :^)

gun
anything
loaded,
They might threaten other family members, things like that
30 Apr 2004 00:03:24 GMT,

Zap! Pow! Bang! Holy Comeback Markie!
Surely if its possible to make child proof containers for stuff they shouldnt drink etc, it must be possible to have childproof guns too.

What does any of this continueing conversation have to do with "Prewiring alarm for a new house"? I am sure people in the NRA's newgroup will be happy to converse with all of you on this issue. Electronics and cold steel don't usually fit in the same conversation. If someone wants to recommend ways of protecting gun cabinets or safes than it has a place here but otherwise it is a waste of space in this group.
Bob4Secur
wrote:

unless
are
give
it.
What would be more embarrasing than to be killed by an intruder and you have 50 unloaded guns locked up in the house like the liberals want?
This crazyness goes even deeper now that it is "highly recomended" that you LOCK up you ammunition in a seperate location than the locked up guns!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Direct Control of a gun is keeping it inside a locked house/car and not hanging in plain site or open to the public.
As far as an unlocked gun; why not create full time 'gun zone', put a magnet in the grip and have the reed switch under the pad it is kept on, or the out-of-site box it is kept in?
Fully armed Gus
On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 17:54:39 -0400, "Robert L. Bass"

Liberals? Unloaded guns? Where did that come from? Lock your gun when you're not holding it so your kid or the neighbor's kid doesn't blow his head off.

Uh, no. That is not direct control. That is hoping your kid doesn't find it. Now, if you live alone and never have visitors (like that nutcase from Waco), I suppose it doesn't matter.
on Thu, 29 Apr 2004 14:43:51 -0400,

Hey dog breath, why don't you come over for a visit?
Oh, and check this out....
(Amazon.com product link shortened)ESQD3B0J5L4D&nP7846
Your gun playing kids are a direct result of their training, or lack of!
When I was growing up all the kids in my family were brought up in a house where there were many loaded guns. We were all taugh to use them, clean them and keep our damned hands off of the at all times.
A neighbor's kid in my house with my loaded gun in his hand sounds like a robery in progress.
WACO ---- I was a witness to Clinton's burning of women and children in Waco. The only nutcases I saw were the thousands of Texas cops lined up to get a shot a church member. BTW, Clinton wasn't from Waco.
When I prewire my new house I will have a closet wired for a full time zone.
On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 14:43:51 -0400, "Robert L. Bass"

find
from
You're absolutely right. However, there is a growing mentality of people who see the only solution to the problem of accidental deaths as eliminating all firearms ! (and I'm NOT one of them btw.....)
Most children are fascinated with firearms simple because of the constant barrage of negative misuse they are exposed to every single day in the media. I firmly believe that educated exposure to firearms through proper training will go a very long way towards demystifying guns in the eyes of normal children. But simple safety measures taken by the gunowner himself can also help. If you insist on leaving a loaded firearm within reach of other people, then you had better be prepared to suffer the consequences of what happens if some untrained or malicious individual causes harm with it. Along with ownership goes responsibility, just as in every other facet of life !!
The accidental or criminal MISUSE of firearms only gives the urban paranoids and other gun haters more ammunition for their neverending quest to rid society of all firearms. Your NRA does have it right in that respect !!
I'm a Canadian btw.....
R.H.Campbell Home Security Metal Products Ottawa, Ontario, Canada www.homemetal.com

Problem is, if a burglar breaks in, takes your gun, and kills you with it, it's not considered an "unintentional firearms death". It's considered a homicide. There were definitely more than 802 gun-related homicides in the USA in 2001.
Oh, and there were probably far more people who suffered unintentional firearm-related injuries (aka gunshots) than the number who were killed unintentionally.
Regards,
George Wenzel
--
George Wenzel, B.A. (Criminology)
E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@recursor.invalid

Huh?
"unintentional firearm-related injuries" would be encompassed by the catagoroy "number who were killed unintentionally" so how could the former have a higher number than the latter?

I think you've got it the wrong way around, Aegis. :^)

former
Total number of people who were killed unintentionally (by firearms AND any other means) would HAVE to be greater than just the number who were killed unintentionally by firearms alone.