Poison Ivy Removal - Total, Complete ?

Page 3 of 4

How big an area do you need cleared ?
I've been noting the spread of the invasive Phragmites australis http://www.invasiveplants.net/phragmites/ and wishing that someone would discover a good use for it ..
I propose that you gather a couple truckloads of it ; weave it into thick mats ; lay the mats over your area. Smothering the poison ivy & everything else - ... an all-natural biodegradable ground cover ! .. repeat every few years ? ... patent pending :-) John T.
--- ---
On 9/17/2015 3:55 AM, bob haller wrote:

This is true of many plants. E.g., here, folks tend to use oleander as a hedge around their homes. It grows quickly, densely, etc. Each time I see some forest fire burning, I wonder what would happen *here* for those folks whose homes are surrounded by the stuff!

Oren wrote, on Thu, 17 Sep 2015 11:31:58 -0700:

It's a type-IV delayed hypersensitivity. Nobody is immune.
Some get it; some don't.
But, nobody is immune.
(It's how type-iv cell-mediated immunity works.)
In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 17 Sep 2015 05:13:48 -0400, Ron

Very interesting. Maybe I'll be more diligent about washing my legs when I think they may have gotten PI on them.
A couple weeks ago, for what I think is the first time, I foud a row of poke weed growing behind my next-door neighbor's townhouse. One guy on the web said he got fiercely itchy from its touching his ankle, though no one else complains about that (except whoever warned him not to touch it.) . Eating it, however, is poisonous, all parts. Unless cooked right, and that's just the leaves and I'm not going to try it.
Per micky:

Maybe somebody who really knows can confirm or disprove, but my impression is that it is important to NOT use soap..... so replace "wash" with "rinse".
--
Pete Cresswell

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 17 Sep 2015 10:26:17 -0400,

No kildding? "Oil" sounds like it needs soap.
Ron? You said "wash". Did that include soap?
Per micky:

The account I read claimed that soap emulsified the "Oil" and spread it around on the skin as one washed with it while plain cold water dissolved it and carried it away as the rinse water flowed away.
But I would put a lot more cred in whatever Ron says.... who knows who wrote the stuff I was reading?
--
Pete Cresswell

(PeteCresswell) wrote, on Thu, 17 Sep 2015 16:12:57 -0400:

If you want, I'll snap a picture of my red sweatshirt and bluejeans, literally splotched with poison oak black lacquer spots.
Clearly I have been covered in the oily stuff, and, I get the rash when I don't wash well.
What "I" do, is use a copious amount of Dawn/Palmolive, in a nice comfortably hot shower, usually covering myself from head to toe three times in a white film of dish detergent.
The theory is that the copious amount of surfactant "prevents" the catechol from adhering to a skin cell, and the just as copious amount of water flushes it down the drain.
micky wrote, on Thu, 17 Sep 2015 13:10:00 -0400:

We may be talking semantics here.
Soap and detergents are both "surfactants".
The difference is how they're made and what they're made up of.
In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 18 Sep 2015 01:23:20 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."

Not the difference between wash and rinse, that Pete said.

Okay, thanks.
On 9/17/2015 12:32 AM, Danny D. wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urushiol Density 0.96, so it's pretty close to density of water.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
Stormin Mormon wrote, on Thu, 17 Sep 2015 07:48:29 -0400:

This is a good observation. I'm gonna guess it doesn't float - but - I don't know for sure.
Per snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com:

Ouch!... that's good to know.
I guess it's the flip side of the advice I have heard to wash any suspectedly-exposed body parts in plenty of cold water.
--
Pete Cresswell

(PeteCresswell) wrote, on Thu, 17 Sep 2015 10:22:53 -0400:

Why "cold" water?
I've heard the bs about "pores" opening.
Guess what?
Urushiol *diffuses* through your skin. It doesn't need pores any more than glyphosate needs stomata to get into a leaf.
Molecules are small. Cracks and openings between and in cells are huge, by way of comparison.
Think about a ping-pong ball going through a baseball wire mesh backstop.
Why do I always use perfectly comfortable hot water?
Because I want to WASH & RINSE for as long as I can, and the more comfortable I am, the more likely I'll wash and rinse again and again.

Ortho Brush B Gone will whack the poison ivy and a lot of grasses are pretty much immune to it. I would just put some in a spray bottle and test a small patch. I know the Cogan grass here (an invasive exotic) just laughs at BB gone. All of the leafy stuff dies. I target air potato, Brazilian pepper and carrot wood trees with it.
Be very careful with any burning. The smoke is poison
Danny D. wrote, on Thu, 17 Sep 2015 04:06:02 +0000:

I just uploaded these pics for Oren.... who taught me all about huckleberries when they're in season... so I'm repaying the favor ...
Cut poison oak vine with black oxidized urushiol stains in the phloem:
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/598/21491897151_0253181129.jpg
Thick poison oak vines, as thick as your wrist or larger:
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/626/21295241630_914087715a.jpg
Tig-welding gloves covered in urushiol stains:
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/626/21483285155_6ec6133030_c.jpg
Bluejeans with spit-sized black splotches of urushiol:
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/704/21295242710_35af7f6e9f_z.jpg
Washing everything, including the climbing rope, in the washing machine:
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5758/21295241810_3afbdea81a.jpg
Washing boots and loppers outside with Dawn and a garden hose:
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5807/21295467868_a239b05153_c.jpg
On 9/17/2015 12:04 AM, Danny D. wrote:

How do you keep from getting the itchy rash getting through all the protective gear?
--
Maggie

Hi Oren,
Yeah. I have been busy.
My sister and her hubbie had some, shall we say, "issues", so I inherited her young kids, so to speak, while she's sorting this stuff out, which is keeping me pretty busy (ever try to keep up full-time with an 8 year old when you thought you were all done with that years ago?).
The treehouse project, which was my neighbor's pet project, is on hold. I was there today, fixing some broken boards - but there's not much to report back.
We have been doing a LOT of radio work (building a mesh neighborhood system), and a LOT of genocidal maniac work on the Spanish Broom. And that's just for today.
Lunch for an 8-year old made by a clueless uncle:
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/699/20880891454_22d3237f6c_b.jpg
Treehouse taken today, not much progress:
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/645/21477405826_c4bb53f5ee_b.jpg
Antenna taken today, we're getting too old to climb these things:
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/756/21315584160_fa72def0f7_b.jpg
Why do all the WiFi radio wires look the same?
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/715/21316734449_dbf6873c73_b.jpg
Had to gently coerce this widow to move to a new location:
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/648/21492794522_90eb0406c6_h.jpg
Learning how best to use cut-stem glyphosate technique:
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/599/21315833768_e5ce50b0aa_b.jpg
Broke another lopper today (my third this month!):
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/608/21315598840_deea902fd5_b.jpg
Spanish broom taken today (I'm a genocidal maniac):
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/577/21315827688_352608cc4a_b.jpg
Spanish broom in the landscape buckets:
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5692/20882524273_905dd23e11_b.jpg
Clearing minor poison oak around the old cave so the kids can play:
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5724/20880890194_83170303e7_b.jpg
Debugging a leaking hot water heater today (how to *find* the leak?):
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/733/20882526253_f7ea32c1b5_b.jpg
etc.
And that's just today...

Aw shucks.
On Wed, 16 Sep 2015 20:45:20 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:

I recently bicycled through Sandy Hook. I have never seen so much poison ivy.
As mentioned, there are herbicides that only kill broadleaf plants. I just ordered this one for my mom:
http://www.keystonepestsolutions.com/stinger-herbicide-1-quart-324.html
I bought it to control thistle. But looking now I do not see poison ivy listed.
In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 16 Sep 2015 20:45:20 -0400,

Who owns this land? You?