Phone Question on Cable/Traditional

Page 3 of 3
aemeijers wrote:

But the fire I'm calling about started in the basement, where I'm trapped because I tripped running for the phone and broke my hip.
The fire took out my TelCo block so I can't use the land line phone, which I managed to grab on the way down to the cold, hard concrete slap.
My cell phone fell out of it's holster and slid under the washer.
I'm lying here shivering on the floor, well aware of the irony that the fire will soon solve the warmth issue, while holding a useless phone in my hand while staring at my lifeline lying under the washer.
I'll let you know how this all works out...
on 11/9/2008 11:19 AM DerbyDad03 said the following:

Can't you email the local emergency services with that laptop you were carrying at the time, or did the battery die?
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
willshak wrote:

place.
I believe it was the result of a very heated discussion in a.h.r regarding the 911 capabilities of the various phone service options.
Damn that whole circle of life thing.
Got to admit, he's a pretty good writer.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Ain't it the truth! :)
Combine THAT phone with using "copper" all the way back to the C.O. and one is almost guaranteed indestructible SERVICE.
--
:)
JR

aemeijers wrote:

Good points, all. But do you have a gun? Better, of course, is two guns.
HeyBub wrote:

-- aem sends...
aemeijers wrote:

True.
And REALLY wise people don't talk about their personal business, confess, or offer excuses.
You may recall the case of a woman shot with a .50 caliber bullet last week while sitting in her RV at the Texas Motor Speedway. The shooter came forward to apologize. Seems as if he was innocently target practicing some 2-1/2 miles away!
Mark my words, if he doesn't go to jail, he's at least in for some significant legal expenses.
HeyBub wrote:

Lou

this particular case goes against their gun control laws.
HeyBub wrote:

have a big U-shaped dirt berm as a backstop.
-- aem sends...
HeyBub wrote:

No, they use ancient signaling methods.

Depends what carrier you have. What a lot of folks don't realize is that some carriers are really Mickey Mouse. One of my buddies works in that industry and I often get to see the equipment and it is interesting to see how companies choose to operate. One of the carriers has large battery capacity and backup generators with large fuel tanks on almost every cell site (some non-critical fill in sites don't have generators) the other carriers have minimal battery and just a connector to plug in one of the two or three portable generators they may have to cover a 1,000 square mile area.
We had a recent early snow storm here and there were lots of power problems because leaves were still on the trees and the snow was heavy and wet. All of the cell carriers except one dropped off the map within hours and were still off a day later. And actually the carrier that has a well designed system runs adds about their network and they are one of the few ads that aren't hype.

If they have the tech-savvy to confidently disable the land-line service, they are probably also operating wireless JAMMING equipment.
--
:)
JR

on 11/8/2008 11:46 PM LouB said the following:

I don't have cable phone, but the TWC site says that their E911 sends the address and phone # of the caller location. I don't know about other cable companies. One problem with any cable phone is that it doesn't work during a power failure, so you better have a cell phone or regular phone handy.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Probably.
Still, there are more than a few residences where the bill for one service is paid by the homeowner and the other by the employer of one of the residents.
In my own, humble career, on more than a few occasions, I installed a Qwest line in a residence or business already served by Cox Communications phone service.
Of course, this perverse combination is immoral and should be outlawed!
--
:)
JR

depends... pick up the phone base and look where the cable goes into it. if you see 4 gold pin connectors the answer is yes, if you see 2 the answer is no.. that simple.. I rewired my house a few years ago with cat 5 cable, you learn alot....