Disastrous Water Leaks

Most people assume water leaks in the home come from faulty plumbing, but my experience is different. There was an inline water filter underneath a Kitchenaid Superba refrigerator that was sitting like a time bomb, waiting to leak. Unless you unscrewed the bottom access panel, you'd never know it even existed. Then one day, over the course of 24-36 hrs, it springs a large leak. Many gallons of water soaked into the hardwood and caused it to warp. Well that's history, and you live and you learn.

To prevent future disasters, I got rid of the filter system entirely, and just shut off the water to the fridge. Who needs ice water when it can cost you $10,000 to repair floor damage? Now, I'm paranoid about the other appliances that have a water line connection, including the dishwasher and hot water heater. What is the best leak detector with a shut off relay that can cut the flow of water in case moisture is sensed on the floor? Is the prevention worse than the disease?

Reply to
Abe M.

If it leaked from a plastic supply line behind the fridge, thats not a surprise. Those will always tend to pop a leak. It should be copper or the steel braided supply line hoses.

Reply to
Mikepier

mostly you need to watch for problems. see a tiny amount of something wierd, check it out. replace appliances before they are ancient.

lastly HOMEOWNERS INSURANCE is designed to pay for such events.

my dad had a water filter under a sink, burst while he was away on a cruise, flooded entire slab home with foot of water, dog found swimming in liviung room when my brother stopped to feed butch.

house was restored great, dad had replacement insurance:) all new carpet etc, entire house painted for 500 buck deductible.

such wierd events arent necessarily all bad, just very inconvenient.

I vaguely recall they were put up at a nice hotel for a week while the gross work was done, insurance even paid for a new water filter system:)

Reply to
hallerb

the $10 water alarm with low voltage battery alert at each problem area. or the $120 electrically operated solenoid for the washing machine with alarm. drain pans are common now for these appliances. - b

Reply to
buffalobill

Anything can and does break, my neighbor was out of town and their toilet just went, cracked on its own. There are auto water mains shutoffs that operate by remote leak sensors and one by maybe excessive use, you might get an insurance discount with one as you do with some alarm systems and deadbolts. Any water leak on the top floor can be a real nightmare as this ladys toilet was, canvased walls, wood floors, carpet, furniture, plaster, was damaged.

Reply to
ransley

you know, ice maker/refrigerator water lines are just like washer hoses. You have to inspect and replace now and then. Unless it's copper like it should have been to begin with. If you want to go without ice and water, then fine. Why not just do your laundry at the laundro mat also, then you won't have to worry about those washer hoses you haven't looked at for years. $10,000 for a kitchen floor, JEEEZZEEE. that's one big MF kitchen. the last laminate i intalled was 79 cents a square foot. And surely you didn't ruin the whole thing, not that big of one i wouldn't think.

Steve Barker DLT

all these so called "disastrous" water problems can be avoided simply by turning the water off when you leave the house.

Steve Barker DLT

Two videos:

Watts WorkShop? - Installing FloodSafe? Connectors

Watts Workshop? - Product Spotlight Series FloodSafe? WDS

Oren