Worth using cable insertion tool on phone socket?

I need to shorten the cable to a phone socket in my house.

I don't have the correct cable insertion tool

I don't really want to wait until I get one.

Is it too tricky to try and wire a phone socket without that tool?

Reply to
Jon D

That credit card has a 1001 uses you know.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

It happens that Jon D formulated :

It is, but it is just about possible. Put the wire over the fork of the connector, then use a slightly open pair of scissors to push it down.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

It depends on how long you want it to work. With the correct tool it will be reliable for decades. Without it may only last a few weeks/months.

Reply to
dennis

I would not recommend trying to do it without having the proper tool. Having said that, the plastic jobby which you reference in the above URL is about as useful as a chocolate teapot - you need a decent metal one. Get something like

and it will last you a lifetime.

Reply to
Roger Mills (aka Set Square)

Bollocks. A thin bladed screwdriver or credit card will push the wires home securely.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Not really, use the back edge of a stanley blade

Reply to
Paul

you don't need one, just use a precision screwdriver and push the cable in. Simple as that. It takes a few seconds longer than using the correct device but the result is the same.

Reply to
steve

Rubbish!

Reply to
steve

No.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I take it you have never wired a phone socket then and have absolutely no knowledge or experience! It's a bad way of terminating cables anyway, they should be screw terminals. Pushing the wires in is fine and as many will tell you, that method has lasted for years without any problems. Wires only come out when pulled out, so maybe you need to have a think about how you secure cables in future or route them to prevent them being pulled out. It takes a bit of force to do what you mention, so maybe you didn't refer to your Reader's Digest DIY book ! keep on reading and you might learn something ! It's always good to pass on hints and tips to beginners like yourself.

Reply to
steve

after 2 years. :-)

ps you dont strip the sheathing from the wire as the crimp will bare it on pushing the wire home.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

especially if it's your partners :-)

Reply to
kráftéé

Personal attacks have no credibility. Use of a screwdriver (particularly for a beginner) often results in spreading the jaws of the connector blade.

Yes, I have done a few phone sockets. A good few. And a rather large box full of Krone strips. And rather a lot of networking. All tested and secure, thank you.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Perhaps you can make a secure connection without spreading the jaws of the connector, but we're talking about someone who has never done it before.

Oh really? Fancy...I never knew that!

Reply to
Bob Eager

The message from Jon D contains these words:

Easy - just push it down either side with a small flat-blade screwdriver. Done it many a time.

Reply to
Guy King

Who sais anything about widening the jaws? you hold the wire in place with your thumb on one side and push the wire with screwdriver on tother side same principle as the convenience tool.

Erm! if he's got the nouse to use the tool I think he's got the nouse to do it without the tool. Its not rocket science.

ooh! picky.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

In message , Jon D writes

There are many ways to bodge (bugger up) these sockets, some being credit cards and small screw drivers. The tool you mention above is only one step removed from these.

If you want peace of mind use the correct tool for the job and then you can forget about it and sleep happily at night.

have made goodness knows how many thousands of connections this way and they are perfectly reliable and long lasting when done properly.

Reply to
Bill

If you say so.

There you go,ok get the proper tool if you are doing on a regular basis. But paying 7GBP for a one off, you gotta be kidding.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

In message , The3rd Earl Of Derby writes

I did.

Not in the slightest. If the OP wants to do a job that will work properly first time then use the proper tool. If the OP wants to risk damaging the socket and having at the least an intermittent contact and at worst having to buy a new socket then he is welcome to use any method he likes bar the correct one.

Reply to
Bill