Are 'screws' available.

I'm looking for a screw type for my B&D jigsaw. the bit that holds the blade in place. i have lost 1 of them and need to replace it. It's a bit tricky with just 1.

The thread is like the screws used in electrical sockets, but what are they called.

I took the remaining 1 to my local diy store who said they were machine screws and not available.

Anyone know what they are called and where i can get them.

Many thanks.

Reply to
lavenders19

Grub screws?

Do they do up with a hexagonal (Allen) key?

It should be possible to buy a mixed pack from a model shop or somewhere like that. I would think that the ones you need would be M3 or M4 or something in that range.

Alternatively, call a B&D service centre and more than likely they'll send you some for nothing.

Reply to
Andy Hall

What model is it?

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

|I'm looking for a screw type for my B&D jigsaw. the bit that holds the |blade in place. i have lost 1 of them and need to replace it. It's a |bit tricky with just 1. | |The thread is like the screws used in electrical sockets, but what are |they called. | |I took the remaining 1 to my local diy store who said they were machine |screws and not available. | |Anyone know what they are called and where i can get them.

Most towns have a place which sells Nuts and bolts to the Trade. Walk past the "TRADE ONLY" notice, and they will have whatever you want. They are very amiable.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

The3rd Earl Of Derby

Seems like a fair swap...

Oh, I see what you mean! ;-)

Well yes and no. They are machine screws - probably pan head slotted, however theyare readily available. Homebase carry a few at huge price is little blister packs. However Maplin may be a better bet:

you don't mind ordering then try

John Rumm

thanks for the info guys. i will try maplins tomorrow.

Reply to
lavenders19

If you input the model No that should get you an exploded diagram which will tell you what the proper name/No is then you can order them direct from the manufacturer (probably a very expensive route to take), get the name/specs of it and see if you can source it from one of the shed/have one lying about .

soup

their spares dept on the off-chance for a replacment handle for my ancient Workmate bench/vice, and not only did they have one, they sent it FOC.

david

Reply to
Lobster

Slightly OT, but speaking of helpful service departments, a few years ago I was given a Marantz "Superscope" portable cassette recorder. I contacted Marantz about the availability of a carrying strap for same, and was promptly sent, entirely FOC, a strap and a service manual for the machine, even though it had been out of production for quite a while. Firms/companies like that deserve due support.

OK - it's old hat now using "analogue" and "compact cassettes", but it does still work!

Reply to
Frank Erskine

I had the same experience with Quad. I asked for a user manual for the

33 and the 303, and was sent (by mistake) the service manuals. On request, they sent the user manuals too.

I asked about sending the units back for servicing. They said 'pack in original boxes', which I hadn't got. So they shipped me a pair of original boxes with the right internal packing.

Incidentally, I laughed a little when the pre-amp came back. The little 'Quad' light had had the gold lettering rubbed off. They'd replaced it FOC, which reminded me of the rumour that Wolseley did much the same with their radiator badges..!

Reply to
Bob Eager

I had a similar experience with my 66/606 with Quad (not as iconic as the 33/303)

This one has a system of buttons operating electronic switching to select signal sources. After some years the unit developed a fault where it would do this on its own. So I called them and spoke to the service manager.

He took the serial number and said that they had occasionally seen a bad joint on one of the gold pin connectors that join two of the internal boards together. I was offered the option of having the boxes sent and a free repair, or if I was able to, it was an easy one anyway. They faxed me a diagram of the area and marked the specific joint. One quick touch with a soldering iron and new solder and it was fixed.

Reply to
Andy Hall

The problem is that now many people in the UK are so obsessed by price that things like 'customer service' are no longer even considered. If cheap, they buy - then moan endlessly in the newsgroups about shoddy service.

Reply to
Zoinks

Many people go to Screwfix because of their service.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

The message from Zoinks contains these words:

That's why I go to the local independant timber/builders' yard for most stuff - the prices aren't that different but much better service.

Reply to
Guy King

Given the choice between Screwfix and standing in line at the counter waiting for you to emerge from the back room where you've been pleasuring yourself with some combi catalogues one can understand why.

Reply to
Owain

Better service than what? I find that in many of those places I get treatedlike something the cat threw up just because I'm not a tradesman, which is why Screwfix et al get most of my custom, wherever possible.

Next port of call for me is generally Wickes; only after that do I start tangling with the local trade outlets. In general.

David

Reply to
Lobster

..Owain. Owain, Owain we go ..he gives us info we don't want to know ..the info is so poor tis true ..so how does this garbage affect you?

..well take no heed of babble and drool ..as instantly you will recognise a fool

..instictively you will spy ..in newsgroups with DIY ..attempting wisdom the fools will try

..so be very watchful of what the fools say ..and don't give these half-wits the time of day

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Same here with B&D. They have a number of service centres around the country. If there's one near you, pop in and ask. These service centres also sell 'reconditioned' tools. I've bought a few and can't tell them from new. They are well below new prices and even come with a guaranantee. I suspect they're tools that fail to work off the production line so are given to the service dept rather than pay to scrap them. The service dept repair them and make a profit. Last time I needed a replacement switch for a B&D tool, a complete reconditioned tool cost only slightly more. I eneded up buying both so I have a spare.

John

Reply to
John