ground wire on siemens panel

I have a siemens panel, and I got some #4 stranded copper wire to connect to the ground rods, and water pipes. But when I go to connect it to the ground/neutral bar, it is too big(just a little too big) to fit in the slots. Is there another peice that is supposed to be for this, or do I need to go back and get solid #4 for the ground wire (and will solid #4 fit).

Thanks!

Reply to
Ed

I'm pretty sure, if you don't distort the end of the wire it should just fit in the terminals, but you can always pick up a ground detail from a supply

Reply to
RBM

You can divide the strands into two bundles (like a Y) and connect in two adjacent slots if you need to.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

Check with your electrical supply store. There's an adapter block ( I don't know what it's called) available that takes up 2 spaces on the ground bar and has a larger lug on it.

But, as another poster mentioned, #4 should fit. Try running the screw almost all the way out. #4 wire fit my CH panel, but it took some effort to get it in there.

Reply to
J.A. Michel

imho:

Go to a electrial supply shop and get an add-on neutral lug for your panel, remember to follow all electrial codes. ;)

Example of what one looks like:

or google "neutral lug"

hth,

tom

Reply to
Tom The Great

No competent electrical inspector will ever except that. Buy the correct lug and install it.

Reply to
Tom Horne, Electrician

Bullshit!

There is no reduction in current capacity and there is no safety issue. There certainly would be an issue if you trimmed of a few strands to fit an undersized hole, but in this case you are maintaining the full capacity of the wire.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

Isn't there a minimum size wire before you are allowed to parallel conductors?

tom

Reply to
Tom The Great

It's not parallel conductors, it's a spread termination.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

It may work but it is still a violation. 110.3(B) if nothing else

Reply to
gfretwell

Care to explain that? The listed equipment (the panel) is being used as specified with a conductor of a gauge within the specified range terminated in each neutral / ground bar position.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

If all that is true it should fit in a single hole.

Reply to
gfretwell

Fundamentally I tend to agree with your premise, however you could take it to the absurd, like splitting 4/0 among eight or so terminals. I think the intention of the code is that equipment should be used as intended by the manufacturer. Since the manufacturer's make lugs of all sizes, buying the proper sized one would seem more reasonable to me. There is also the "workman like manner" rule

Reply to
RBM

Your opinion that it is BS does not change the fact that no competent electrical inspector will sign off on such an installation. The US NEC requires that equipment be installed and used in accordance with any instructions included in the listing or labeling. The UL white book contains the listings and the sizes of wire that each listed terminal are tested to terminate. You're wilderness engineering solution will not pass inspection.

Reply to
Thomas D. Horne, FF EMT

Please tell me exactly which of the instructions included with the listed panel a spread termination will violate? It certainly will not violate the neutral / ground terminals specified wire gauge range as each terminal will be terminating a wire strand bundle matching it's rated gauge range.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

Might also be a 110.12 violation, depending on the AHJ.

later,

tom

Reply to
Tom The Great

Exactly which part of 110.12? The first part? Part A, B, C?

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

Nice try Pete. Your split strands don't have a gage. Upon request you have to present the listing mark or label and there is no listing mark or label for the divided strands. It is simply a damaged conductor.

Reply to
Tom Horne, Electrician

Nice try, unless a strand has been severed, it is *not* a damaged conductor any more than it would be a damaged conductor being squished under the terminal screw. Indeed I've seen terminal screws nearly sever strands.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

Why not just /ask/ the local code inspector if it would be OK to separate the strands and use 2 adjacent terminals, or if you need to buy an add-on lug? They both seem perfectly reasonable solutions to me if done neatly. Separating the strands has the advantage of one less connection. The add-on lug would probably look a little better.

Or are you two just having fun pissing on each other? ;-)

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob